Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What’s Your Favourite & Worst 2023 Effects Pedal purchases?

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• I only got two old Boss pedals this year

A SD-2 Dual Overdrive and a MD2 Mega Distortion.

I really like them both but I got them for very different applications and reasons. I gigged the SD2 quite a bit and it performed nicely. 
    So far I’ve only used the md2 at home but it’s lots of fun.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • My worst was also my best - Source Audio Collider.

Best: Everything sounds fantastic and it met my requirement for high quality delays and reverbs with presets and MIDI control inside a single box (for a smaller footprint on board). 

Worst: Presets take too long to load mid-song, so there's a gap. Having the preset preloaded and using CC commands to turn each side on/off was fine, but only if you sent one command for one side. If you sent two, the second one was never processed. Why? According to a SA support rep, the MIDI buffer in the pedal is too small, so if it can't process the first msg quickly enough, it drops the second. It's a known, yet undocumented deficiency. 

I'm now using a GT1000 Core for delays, reverbs and EQ - but reluctantly... 
  • KeyrohKeyroh Frets: 59
    Favourite: DM-101, as well as the awesome sounds, I really admire the ingenuity compared to digital counterparts. Admittedly I'm still in the honeymoon phase with this one.
    Fairfield Circuitry Shallow Water, second purchase as nothing I've tried comes close

Least favourite: Spaceman Sputnik iii, fell flat compared to a Fuzz Factory to me
    Old Blood Noise Endeavours Visitor, not the best example of any of the effects and limited flexibility
    Dreadbox Darkness, struggled to get a sound I liked and didn't feel the best put together
  • markjmarkj Frets: 914
    Worst;   Nordland ODR. Just didn’t like it completely sterile.

Best;     Paul Cochran Timmy V2.  Donner dumble  drive, yes I know only £40 from Amazon but it’s super.
  • Best : Eventide H90, second time round once I got my head round it. Pitched delays and wobbly chorus and the new synth, make it a killer pedal for me. Or Kinotone Ribbons which is very full featured and so worthwhile exploring to add texture or weird looping. 
    Worst: Bliss Factory - no matter how many presets and digital control I still don’t like the fuzz factory sounds! So moved it on.
    Undecided : Meris Mercury X. Not sure if the overall sound works for me though lots of deep diving and tweaking still to do. 
  • SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 942
    edited December 2023
    Worst, probably the Black Country TI Boost. I am a fan of TBs but this doesn't do it for me if anyone wants it. I think I'm more into the germanium sound. 

Best: Probably the El Capistan. Great for solo jamming through my waza headphones 
  • DoctorXDoctorX Frets: 370
    I’ve just got an HX Stomp. Day 1 of the honeymoon but it’s definitely up there, no idea what took me so long to check one of these out.
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3905
    edited December 2023

Keeper

Walrus Julia - My favourite chorus ever, beating Analogman and Boss CE-2W. So organic and analogue.

Honeymoon period

Kingsley Page - So far this is sounding like the edge-of-breakup pedal I have been searching for for yonks. Has natural note decay, which I find many dirt pedals don't have.

Not for me

Jam Rattler - Didn't tickle my pickle like the Thorpy Warthog did
    Thorpy Gunshot - Amazing how amp-like it is, but just not me.
  • Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 1155
    Further to my previous post a new contender for Best has slipped over the line - Thorpy Pulse Doppler. Had one previously, briefly, before I had to sell it because I needed the money and it was my most expensive pedal. Got another today and it is glorious. The sounds where phaser meets tremolo can be so sweet
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Best - Origin DCX Boost, Halcyon Gold and Strymon Brig. All fabulous and on the board now.

Worst - Tacit Blue. I know I will be in a tiny minority here, but it just didn't work for me. I'm borderline on fuzz, so that's probably the reason.