Headset microphones for vocals?

What's Hot
crosstownvampcrosstownvamp Frets: 291
edited November 2023 in Studio & Recording
We're a living room band in need of new mics. One of the guys suggested wearable mics - any recommendations for something cheapish?
The theory is it might be less trouble than our current setup of three mic stands in a room full of keyboards, amps and guitars (and old men).
We could just stick with proper mics but one of the guys is rubbish at putting his head in the right place to sing while he plays keyboard so a wearable might fix that. Mics would need to be directional to minimise music spill of the rest of us playing as we record 'live' ,  multitracking is way too much work for us.
Thanks for any comments!

Also presumably I can get my antique SM57 fixed somewhere? Anyone know a mic repair service?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2416
    DPA is the industry standard here, but not cheap. Not sure how good the 'affordable' alternatives are. 

Have you tried contacting Shure re the 57? TBH it may be well be uneconomic to fix.
  • WhistlerWhistler Frets: 322
    DPA is the gold standard in my world.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24379
    I've got an older Line 6 headset that I bought for doing magic shows.

I ended up using it for singing as well when my old band played some stages that were so small even the space for another mic stand was a problem!

It worked very well for backings, but I would say that for lead vocals it (and any headset) can be a bit lacking and the mouth to mic distance cannot be changed for dynamics / close effects etc.
  • crosstownvampcrosstownvamp Frets: 291
    edited November 2023

I ended up using it for singing as well when my old band played some stages that were so small even the space for another mic stand was a problem!

It worked very well for backings, but I would say that for lead vocals it (and any headset) can be a bit lacking and the mouth to mic distance cannot be changed for dynamics / close effects etc.

Oh damn, mouth to mic distance hadn't crossed my mind being the non-singer. Thanks - very good point!
    Though how do the Taylor Swifts of this world cover that? I've seen them move the mouth piece closer and if the sound person adjusts levels and compression I suppose that does what's needed?
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6879

Oh damn, mouth to mic distance hadn't crossed my mind being the non-singer. Thanks - very good point!
    Though how do the Taylor Swifts of this world cover that? I've seen them move the mouth piece closer and if the sound person adjusts levels and compression I suppose that does what's needed?
    Miming...
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5383

We could just stick with proper mics but one of the guys is rubbish at putting his head in the right place to sing while he plays keyboard so a wearable might fix that.

Kill him. Or at least beat him soundly. A much cheaper solution. Basic mic technique isn't that hard, and if he really won't co-operate, just set the mic up for him so he has no choice. Then kill him. Just in case.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2416
    edited November 2023
    Headset / headworn mics can be made to work very well if everyone involved knows what they're doing. In musical theatre everyone will be on one and it works fine. But you need trained singers who can control their volume and a sympathetic sound engineer.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28402
    Countryman is, I believe, the budget alternative to DPA. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10419
    In addition to the make of headset mic you also need to consider the pattern. For a lot of stage shows they are using Omni capsules  and it's just fine ... but there isn't a drum kit 6 feet from the users. 
    In a band environment you generally want the directional capsule which requires better control of singing volume and is more sensitive to position. 

Amazingly DPA sent both types down for us to try out. Amazing quality mics but overkill price wise for the application here I think. 
    The Sennheiser one that comes with the G3 wireless mic kit is pretty good and can be had for less than a hundred on a good day. 

You can fix the 57 yourself, they are very simple and either a wire has come off or capsule is dead so just change the whole capsule .. they are readily available 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Another option could be lapel mics. Sony ecm - 50 would work well in your application. Can be had second hand for around £50. 
  • DPA's are a league above the Sennheisers and Countryman ect but you pay for them. The lower budget types are usuable but need a lot of EQ to get rid of feedback, but if your not using monitors and point the FOH away your halfway there. Then of course technique! Don't even breath the words omni directional or condensor with headset mics.

With regards to your SM 57, it is probably cheaper to get a new one as the cost of the Shure capsule is about 80% of the mic cost
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3659
    On Saturday I'll be using a Shure WH20 (XLR version) for the first time for backing vocals and occassional inter-song witticism.  Importantly, I have an off-switch to 'hand' (or rather to foot).

I've used one many years ago, an AKG C520, which was a condenser mic and which required a belt pack.  I very quickly went back to a conventional mic + stand due to feedback issues.  Hopefully this one will be better.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24379
    Stuckfast said:
    Headset / headworn mics can be made to work very well if everyone involved knows what they're doing. In musical theatre everyone will be on one and it works fine. But you need trained singers who can control their volume and a sympathetic sound engineer.
    Different tools for different jobs.

Musical theatre performers are excellent but their needs are not the same as a lairy metal frontman who likes to use the proximity effect to produce overwhelming low end on selected notes. Human volume control cannot duplicate that.