Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

My Effin Life Geddy Lee

What's Hot
Read this start to finish yesterday.
Excellent read. So well written and entertaining.
A cautionary tale also in these increasingly anti semitic times. Both his parents polish jewish surviving several concentration camps.

For Rush fans essential.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Been looking forward to reading this. Glad to hear it’s worth the wait.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24279
    It's on my Xmas list.

So naturally I won't get it from my family and I'll have to buy it myself in January!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22850
    I was thinking of going to a signing he did in London recently but... you know, apathy.  And work.

Is the book all his own work, or ghostwritten?  I'm hoping the former.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    I'll be buying that!

• Philly_Q said:
    I was thinking of going to a signing he did in London recently but... you know, apathy.  And work.

I think its all Geddy thankfully - it certainly feels like it !
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22850
    Philly_Q said:

Excellent, I shall look into it.  Must admit I find the title really annoying, but I'll get over that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30922
    I am going to his show on 10 Dec - will get book signed then.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    Philly_Q said:
    Philly_Q said:

Excellent, I shall look into it.  Must admit I find the title really annoying, but I'll get over that.
    I assumed that "My Elfin life" was referring to his experiences of being the shortest person in Rush.
  • mart said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Philly_Q said:

I assumed that "My Elfin life" was referring to his experiences of being the shortest person in Rush.

I thought that was the title when I first saw it. Has it been edited? I thought maybe it was a book about a love affair with Dio.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • uksaint7uksaint7 Frets: 308
    A cautionary tale also in these increasingly anti semitic times. Both his parents polish jewish surviving several concentration camps.

For Rush fans essential.
    Sorry I don't want to derail this thread but I really don't think we are living in increasingly anti-semitic times. Not to denigrate the experience of Geddy's parents at all, anti-semitism was obviously a huge issue in Europe 80 years ago. And it is somewhat ironic that cautionary tales that should have been learned from back then don't seem to have been done so, as evidenced by the current concentration camp that is Gaza.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3319
    edited November 2023
    uksaint7 said:

For Rush fans essential.
    Sorry I don't want to derail this thread but I really don't think we are living in increasingly anti-semitic times. Not to denigrate the experience of Geddy's parents at all, anti-semitism was obviously a huge issue in Europe 80 years ago. And it is somewhat ironic that cautionary tales that should have been learned from back then don't seem to have been done so, as evidenced by the current concentration camp that is Gaza.
    I totally disagree. Read the JC read the newspapers.  Your concentration camp comparision is a disgrace. . Also you just have derailed the thread.   

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2023/oct/20/antisemitic-hate-crimes-in-london-rise-1350-since-israel-hamas-war-met-says
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    Gassage said:
    Envy! I'd love to go but I just can't shell out that sort of cash.
  • axisus said:
    Gassage said:
    Envy! I'd love to go but I just can't shell out that sort of cash.
    At least one of the shows will end up on Youtube, surely.

• Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1937
    Definitely buying this if he's written it himself. I like Geddy Lee; he seems a good sort when I've seen him in interviews. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

uksaint7 said:

For Rush fans essential.
    Wrong.

Hate crimes against Jews have increased massively. It’s in every paper and recorded by every police force in the country.

And don’t assume support of the average Jewish person is support for the Israeli government. And damning Israeli government actions is not the same as supporting Hamas either. It’s not a contradiction to support the average Jew / Israeli and Palestinian while condemning the actions of the supposed leaders.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • WoodandwiresWoodandwires Frets: 195
    edited November 2023
    On the subject of Rush related books, as part of my wife and my housing downsize, I have the very large coffee table size book Rush “Wandering the face of the Earth” “touring 1968 to 1985” for sale, 470 + pages extensive rare photos. Pm me for details, sorry to derail the original thread, but better to discuss Rush related books than some of the previous posts.
    I’ve got Geddy’s Bass collection book.

It’s amazing, such a brilliant selection of basses. Great photography too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • uksaint7uksaint7 Frets: 308
    Yes well I did come here for the Geddy content! I even looked up the tour but he's not coming to Ireland and even if he was I was a bit taken aback by the pricing.

Blaendulais said:

I totally disagree. Read the JC read the newspapers.  Your concentration camp comparision is a disgrace. . Also you just have derailed the thread.   

Well I guess it depends what is counted as anti-semitism. Much of what I as seen as purporting to be anti-semitic is nothing of the sort, more anti-zionist or anti-genocidal. As for concentration camps, definition according to Brittanica.com:

"Internment centre for political prisoners and members of national or minority groups who are confined for reasons of state security, exploitation, or punishment, usually by executive decree or military order."

Definition according to Oxford dictionary:

"A place in which large numbers of people, especially political prisoners or members of persecuted minorities, are deliberately imprisoned in a relatively small area with inadequate facilities"

Definition according to Merriam Webster dictionary:

"A place where large numbers of people (such as prisoners of war, political prisoners, refugees, or the members of an ethnic or religious minority) are detained or confined under armed guard"

Sounds like Gaza to me.

fretmeister said:

And don’t assume support of the average Jewish person is support for the Israeli government. And damning Israeli government actions is not the same as supporting Hamas either. It’s not a contradiction to support the average Jew / Israeli and Palestinian while condemning the actions of the supposed leaders.
    Of course I don't. Many Jews worldwide have taken part in protests against the actions of the apartheid regime of Israel. And likewise by involving civilians Hamas committed war crimes during their actions on Oct 7th.
  • uksaint7 said:
    Yes well I did come here for the Geddy content! I even looked up the tour but he's not coming to Ireland and even if he was I was a bit taken aback by the pricing.

Blaendulais said:

Well I guess it depends what is counted as anti-semitism. Much of what I as seen as purporting to be anti-semitic is nothing of the sort, more anti-zionist or anti-genocidal. As for concentration camps, definition according to Brittanica.com:

"Internment centre for political prisoners and members of national or minority groups who are confined for reasons of state security, exploitation, or punishment, usually by executive decree or military order."

Definition according to Oxford dictionary:

"A place in which large numbers of people, especially political prisoners or members of persecuted minorities, are deliberately imprisoned in a relatively small area with inadequate facilities"

Definition according to Merriam Webster dictionary:

"A place where large numbers of people (such as prisoners of war, political prisoners, refugees, or the members of an ethnic or religious minority) are detained or confined under armed guard"

Sounds like Gaza to me.

fretmeister said:

Of course I don't. Many Jews worldwide have taken part in protests against the actions of the apartheid regime of Israel. And likewise by involving civilians Hamas committed war crimes during their actions on Oct 7th.
    Geddys book has a clear message for people like you fella.  I wouldnt pick it up if i was you hes clear that he wouldnt want you to.

as you are now on ignore feel free to continue your anti semitic comments i cant see them.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24310
    edited November 2023

ORDER!  ORDERRRRRRRRR!

COUNSELZ WILL STICK TO THE THREAD SUBJECT!!
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter