Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

My Effin Life Geddy Lee

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• mart said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Philly_Q said:
    I was thinking of going to a signing he did in London recently but... you know, apathy.  And work.

Is the book all his own work, or ghostwritten?  I'm hoping the former.
    I think its all Geddy thankfully - it certainly feels like it !
    Excellent, I shall look into it.  Must admit I find the title really annoying, but I'll get over that.
    I assumed that "My Elfin life" was referring to his experiences of being the shortest person in Rush.

I thought that was the title when I first saw it. Has it been edited? I thought maybe it was a book about a love affair with Dio.
    The Discussion title says My Effin Life so I was assuming that Geddy is just a very sweary person. 

Rush had their unpleasantly right wing loony period, although I don't think they said anything specifically anti semitic I think it will be interesting to see if Geddy addresses this given what has been said about his parents. Or wether it's a 'we played the hockey stadium in Toronto on Saturday night and everybody loved us' kind of autobiography. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
    I’ve got Geddy’s Bass collection book.

It’s amazing, such a brilliant selection of basses. Great photography too.
    I'd love to have gone and met him/got a signed copy, once again beyond what I could afford at the time.
    Rush had their unpleasantly right wing loony period ...
    er ... no
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24280
    axisus said:

I'd love to have gone and met him/got a signed copy, once again beyond what I could afford at the time.

I got the book from Amazon for £22.18 when it was launched.

I have no idea why they did them that cheap, but loads of basschat guys managed to get one at that money too.

axisus said:

I got the book from Amazon for £22.18 when it was launched.

I have no idea why they did them that cheap, but loads of basschat guys managed to get one at that money too.

Yeah but the meet & greet signing was something like £80 I think. I would have LOVED to meet Geddy though, Rush were one of the most important bands for me in my late teens onwards.
  • axisus said:
    er ... no
    er...yes they did. 
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11711
    uksaint7 said:
    Read this start to finish yesterday.
    Excellent read. So well written and entertaining.
    A cautionary tale also in these increasingly anti semitic times. Both his parents polish jewish surviving several concentration camps.

For Rush fans essential.
    Sorry I don't want to derail this thread but I really don't think we are living in increasingly anti-semitic times. Not to denigrate the experience of Geddy's parents at all, anti-semitism was obviously a huge issue in Europe 80 years ago. And it is somewhat ironic that cautionary tales that should have been learned from back then don't seem to have been done so, as evidenced by the current concentration camp that is Gaza.
    I totally disagree. Read the JC read the newspapers.  Your concentration camp comparision is a disgrace. . Also you just have derailed the thread.   

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2023/oct/20/antisemitic-hate-crimes-in-london-rise-1350-since-israel-hamas-war-met-says
    I totally disagree too.  Check out the BBC News clip of a woman chanting "death to the Jews" in last weekend's Palestine demo.  None of her fellow protestors were pulling her up.  I hope she's still in a cell somewhere and they've lost they key.

Jewish families unable or unwilling to take their kids to school, businesses graffiti'd... antisemitism is alive and kicking.  And yep, the concentration camp and Gaza conflation is, I'm afraid, despicable.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22874
    axisus said:
    er ... no
    er...yes they did. 
    I know Peart was a fan of the works of Ayn Rand, which influenced some of his early lyrics.  And in 1978-ish the NME described "The Trees" as a vicious attack on the trade union movement.

I honestly don't know any more than that, I hope nobody's going to unearth any "Eric Clapton does Enoch Powell" style speeches.
    axisus said:
    er ... no
    er...yes they did. 
    [Pantomime mode] Oh no they didn't!

There was NEVER an unpleasantly right wing loony period!  Come on then, name the 'period' and all the unpleasantly right wing loony songs ...

• axisus said:
    axisus said:
    er ... no
    er...yes they did. 

There was NEVER an unpleasantly right wing loony period!  Come on then, name the 'period' and all the unpleasantly right wing loony songs ...

All of 2112. Based on an Ayn Rand book who, amongst other things, espoused free market capitalism and defended the genocide of native Americans. More familiar these days as Donald Trump's favourite author if that helps give a flavour. Lee and Peart defended their work, defended Rand and went off on an ill informed anti leftie rant. So late 1970s is the period.

I wouldn't like to be held to account now for some half baked idea I had in 1978 and I'm happy to presume that Lee has moved on to something else. But if I read his book I'd  interested to see how he now sees that period. If it's 500 pages on the evolution of his string gauges then I'm less interested. Although, sadly, I wouldn't be completely disinterested. 

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22874
    edited November 2023
    Neil Peart wrote a number of books, I expect at some point he'd have touched on his political views and how they may or may not have changed.  I've only read the one about the motorbike journey he undertook after the deaths of his daughter and partner in the late 1990s.  Wikipedia says in the 2000s he described himself as a "left-leaning libertarian".

axisus said:
    axisus said:
    er ... no
    er...yes they did. 

All of 2112. 

Bullshit! 2112 is just a dystopian sci fi story, it is never unpleasantly right wing or loony. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11711
    ^^ This is starting to read like the script for a new installment of Bad News...
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1832
    Time to move the thread to politics board.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Geddy was on the Craig Charles BBC radio 6 music show earlier this afternoon.
    Radio 6 Music

Radio 6 Music - Listen Live - BBC Sounds

RADIO 6 MUSIC
    Craig Charles
    Geddy Lee of Rush gets your weekend started with a bang!
  • topdog91topdog91 Frets: 304
    edited December 2023
    And he was on Adrian Chiles this morning... Great to see this recognition and looking forward to next week at the Barbican.

https://on.soundcloud.com/on6bG
    Brian Moore MC1 / i9.13p, Chapman ML-2 / ML-3, Fender 1977 Strat Hardtail / Richie Kotzen Telecaster, Peavey Predator / T-60, PRS SE Akerfeldt / Akesson , Squier Classic Vibe 60s Strat, FSR Custom Tele x2, Simon & Patrick Folk Cedar
  • wibblewibble Frets: 1098
    PSA the hardcover price dropped from £25 to £15 yesterday on Amazon...

• HaychHaych Frets: 5630
    Reading it now, coming to the end sadly.  Quite a decent story of Geddy's life, and the band of course, although I find his overuse of small print footnotes quite annoying.

All we need now is for Alex to write a book.  As anyone who has read any of the liner notes or tour book notes written by Alex knows, a book by him would be an absolute scream.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• bacchanalianbacchanalian Frets: 897