Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

WTB: Your old MP3 players/DAPs

What's Hot

Comments

• RockerRocker Frets: 4983
    Thread hijack (sorry) but I have a Zen player but it won’t switch itself off. Charge up and it plays FLAC files perfectly. If anyone can help or give me a link to a software upgrade/reinstall that would be great. Thanks 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2928
    @Rocker there are loads of Zens (Touch, Vision, V, Micro, X-Fi to name a few) so the full model name would help :)
  • Bidley said:
    Might be fine, might be spent... I've got a couple nearly 20 years old that are fine, some are totally dead. Generally if it stays on after removing the charger, it'll be fine. Generally a new one will have more capacity and potential longevity though, obviously. Those old iRivers are cool!

One of the most satisfying things is grabbing a "parts/untested" player off eBay (usually because they've lost the original charger because everything used a weird proprietary 30-pin variant), charging it up and finding "Sue's housework" playlist from 2006. Great time capsules!
    Battery holding up...just put the latest Rockbox firmware on it.
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2403
    Bidley said:
    That would be awesome, thanks @Sarge ! The old Archos stuff was proper back in the day :)
    it's the least I can do since you helped me stop smoking all those years ago  =)

that's IF I can find it! 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Bidley said:
    Might be fine, might be spent... I've got a couple nearly 20 years old that are fine, some are totally dead. Generally if it stays on after removing the charger, it'll be fine. Generally a new one will have more capacity and potential longevity though, obviously. Those old iRivers are cool!

One of the most satisfying things is grabbing a "parts/untested" player off eBay (usually because they've lost the original charger because everything used a weird proprietary 30-pin variant), charging it up and finding "Sue's housework" playlist from 2006. Great time capsules!
    Battery holding up...just put the latest Rockbox firmware on it.

Rockbox is great isn't it! A tinkerer's dream!

Sarge said:
    Bidley said:
    That would be awesome, thanks @Sarge ! The old Archos stuff was proper back in the day :)
    it's the least I can do since you helped me stop smoking all those years ago  =)

that's IF I can find it! 

Ah I'm glad you're still off the smokes! I've been clean nearly 8 years now :D

You're a legend mate :)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2288
    He's preparing for the end of streaming when they all go bust. I've kept my iPods.
  • I have an vague idea I have a Zune kicking around somewhere. I'll see if I can find it.
    I'd love to have a play with a Zune @vasselmeyer :)
  • I also have a Zen at home and an Archos (I think). We used to record videos of the band & then hawk them around pubs to get gigs :)
    They need to go, for sure
  • Bidley said:
    I'd love to have a play with a Zune @vasselmeyer :)

OK, let me see if I can find it. I've got a bunch of old stuff in boxes, including an iPod touch and a couple of Sansas which I still use as the battery life is way better than my phone.
  • Old iPod classics are cool  I remember a friend of mine was getting one & we were fascinated about the possibility of using it as a portable hard drive 
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4983
    Bidley said:
    @Rocker there are loads of Zens (Touch, Vision, V, Micro, X-Fi to name a few) so the full model name would help :)

Thanks @Bidley. ; My Zen is X-Fi-3.  It is a 16Gb unit and the USB Connected is showing on the screen.  I am getting no response if I press any of the buttons, maybe it is still charging the battery.  Thanks.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

@Rocker I would say leave it on charge overnight. If it still doesn't play ball then it's probably fried. The newer (relatively speaking) flash-based players are more difficult to fix because everything is soldered and the storage is a chip on the main board. They're also tightly packed so difficult to get apart without destroying.

The firmware is here, try flashing that, (back your files up first) and if that doesn't work then it'll probably be for the bin :(
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27523
    Bidley said:
    @Rocker I would say leave it on charge overnight. If it still doesn't play ball then it's probably fried. 
    Or the battery is just dead.

I had a battery issue with an old Fiio player - sourced a generic replacement (Ali Express) and all is now good again.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • @Bidley Zune has gone, I'm afraid. No idea where, suspect one of the kids had it years ago.

I have an iPod Touch (probably gen 2 or 3) if that's of interest?
    Shame @vasselmeyer , but looking on eBay they go for stupid money now due to Guardians of the Galaxy (I've no interest) so I'd feel bad if you sold it me for not much. To be fair they're a pain to use these days as the support has evaporated for them.

@variplexi was a complete gent and gifted me a 3rd gen touch, so I'm all good for those for now :) thank you for taking the time to look!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72360
    edited November 2023
    I've got an old iAudio G2 - not spinning drive though, it's one of the early solid state memory ones - 1GB. I had it because it's tiny and can record direct to mp3 from either a 3.5mm line-in jack or a built-in mic - I used it for recording my band's rehearsals and gigs before smartphones did that more conveniently.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• PwaloPwalo Frets: 113
    Bidley said:
    As above, getting into fiddling about with these. Preferably ones with spinning rust drives. Especially interested in old iPods and Creative Zens. Let me know what you have rolling about in drawers! Cheers!
    A guy at work asked me to look at his iPod classic 160gb but the HDD is goosed. I’ll ask him if he wants to replace it with an SD card or get rid.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18776
    Pwalo said:
    Bidley said:
    As above, getting into fiddling about with these. Preferably ones with spinning rust drives. Especially interested in old iPods and Creative Zens. Let me know what you have rolling about in drawers! Cheers!
    A guy at work asked me to look at his iPod classic 160gb but the HDD is goosed. I’ll ask him if he wants to replace it with an SD card or get rid.
    Not quite as straightforward as just swapping the MicroDrive for an SD. You'll also need an interface between the iPod & the SD or Compact Flash adaptor. 
    Been there, done that  ;)   https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/2558026/#Comment_2558026

• PwaloPwalo Frets: 113
    Pwalo said:
    Bidley said:
    Not quite as straightforward as just swapping the MicroDrive for an SD. You'll also need an interface between the iPod & the SD or Compact Flash adaptor. 
    Been there, done that  ;)   https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/2558026/#Comment_2558026

Yes, spotted that thanks… priced one up from Ali Express and Amazon.. not sure if he’ll want to spend cash on it though…