Solo of the Month (SotM) #101 - Challenge

What's Hot
stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2197
edited December 2023 in Making Music
The challenge is now open and ends at midnight 24th December 2023

Discussion:
Thanks to @flying_pie for this one again.

You can download the backing track from Soundcloud below:

https://soundcloud.com/thefretboard/sotm101-flying-pie-rock-music-for-old-men?si=768e101ce1fa46958e398a906b0e0240&utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing

Track Info:

Title: Rock music for old men (which sounds right up my street )

Tempo: 112bpm

Basic Chords/Structure:

A / G / | D / A /  |  x 4
C / / / | C / / / | D / / / | D / / /|  x2
A

Record your solo over the top of it and then submit it (ideally in mp3 format) to solos@theFB.co.uk
Also, feel free to comment on how you approached the solo, which will add a bit more interest and maybe we can learn something from each other.

There should be headroom to record your solo. Try to set a level without excessive master limiting, because we want to avoid loudness wars.

Voting will start soon after the submission deadline, with each voter selecting their 1st, 2nd and 3rd choice.
First choice gets 5 points - Second choice gets 3 points - Third choice gets 1 point
The order and scores of the top three entries will be announced soon after the voting ends.

No prizes. It's just for fun.

As people submit their entries, I'll post them below to hopefully promote some discussion on approaches used for the solo:

https://soundcloud.com/thefretboard/sets/sotm101-2023-12?si=8d093f3d22834669ac6f094008410dda&utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing

It's not a competition.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bobaccobobacco Frets: 535
    Ah that’s a fun track! Might humiliate myself and have a go at this one…

• Don't stay up too late on Christmas eve @stratman3142 or you might see Santa! 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Mine's in the playlist. No comping this time, just done in one pass. Although I did have quite a few goes at it.

It's not a competition.
  • One in the playlist from @midiman1962 ;

Great to have a new entrant.

It's not a competition.
  • Sent one in.
  • Naturally, had to use the ol' Gibson SG, and the plexi patch, dig in hard and hold on tight!  Some may spot a tiny bit of influence in mine...... :can you name them all?....smirk: 

Single take, duplicated, 2nd channel offset by 7ms, rhythm panned slightly left, solo bus panned slightly right in true historical style.
  • Sent one in.
    It's in the playlist.

It's not a competition.
  • Technical details for mine:-
    Yamaha Pacifica (16 year old Xmas present bought for my daughter)to Roland Cube Street 2 Lead setting- aux out to Cubase 9 ( somewhat low tech) 
  • Gibson SG gives some of the influence away ! Love the last note btw
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2197
    edited December 2023
    My technical details:

Ibanez AZ2204 Prestige (Bridge Humbucker) > Zoom UAC-2 Interface > Computer > Reaper
    > Helix Native [Kinky Comp > Line 6 Kinetic Ampsim > Dual Delay {90ms left and 110ms right} > Dynamic Plate Stereo Reverb]

It's not a competition.
  • Solo sent in

Fender Telecaster - the rock guitar that sold a million Les Pauls - with Oil City 49er bridge pickup
    NuX mighty air JCM SIM
    Stereo delay in Reaper

And I threw in a schoolboy SG lick over the D chord just for @fastonebaz ;
  • Solo sent in...

It's in the playlist.

It's not a competition.
  • Naturally, had to use the ol' Gibson SG, and the plexi patch, dig in hard and hold on tight!  Some may spot a tiny bit of influence in mine...... :can you name them all?....smirk: 

Single take, duplicated, 2nd channel offset by 7ms, rhythm panned slightly left, solo bus panned slightly right in true historical style.
    Excellent job @fastonebaz ;

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I love the Live In Paris gig best :heart: 
  • @stratman3142 I have another potential backing track in the works for a future slot if need be.  Kind of Gary Moore ish.  Will send it over when finished to see what you think.   
  • Sadly, I'm not gonna make this one. Would've liked to but not possible. Will come to vote, though.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • @stratman3142 I have another potential backing track in the works for a future slot if need be.  Kind of Gary Moore ish.  Will send it over when finished to see what you think.   
    Thanks. Yes always really appreciate the backing tracks.

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Sadly, I'm not gonna make this one. Would've liked to but not possible. Will come to vote, though.
    No problem. It's a busy time of year. It's good to get votes from non participants.

It's not a competition.
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7182
    edited December 2023
    Ive sent one in - its devoid of ideas unfortunately but on the plus side I have realised I can add some silly effects in garage band post recording so Ive made conspicuous use of that feature !

@fastonebaz - that was amazing !
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I've sent one in...
    It's in the playlist.

It's not a competition.