Solo of the Month (SotM) #101 - Challenge

What's Hot

Comments

• Entry closes tomorrow (24th December) at midnight.

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Entry closes tonight at midnight. So get your entries in before Santa comes.

It's not a competition.
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4225
    edited December 2023
    Just submitted my attempt (and first entry into SOTM )

Recorded on the bridge pickup of my Malmsteen strat into HX Stomp.

It's one take and was the fourth run through. There’s a big flam towards the end but it’s authentic! And I wasn’t going to get a better take in the time available before the Mrs came home and wondered why I hadn’t done the dishwasher. 
  • Lewy said:

Great to have a new entrant. It's in the playlist.

It's not a competition.
  • Lewy said:

The rest of the solo is so brilliant that the glam comes over as deliberate - you shouldn’t have mentioned it ! :-)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• Lewy said:

The rest of the solo is so brilliant that the glam comes over as deliberate - you shouldn’t have mentioned it ! :-)

I haven't noticed any 'flam' or 'glam'. Or do we mean 'clam'? But I didn't notice one of those either :)

It's not a competition.

• Lewy said:

I haven't noticed any 'flam' or 'glam'. Or do we mean 'clam'? But I didn't notice one of those either :)

Stupid spell check was set to Mark Bolan English 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Sent one in!

Started out with a Tom Scholz thing in mind...then I realised @fastonebaz was letting the side down this month so I deployed my only EVH tapping lick ;)
  • Sent one in...
    It's in the playlist.

It's not a competition.
  • Sent one in!

Started out with a Tom Scholz thing in mind...then I realised @fastonebaz was letting the side down this month so I deployed my only EVH tapping lick ;)
    I can confirm no taps were injured in my entry this month. 
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1206
    edited December 2023
    Thought I'd try this (a) to distract myself from the seasonal nonsense and (b) just to actually (semi) compose something vaguely musical.

Thought everyone would go with the AC/DC thing (I don't like to listen to the others first as the high standard of playing just makes me not want to bother) so thought I'd go with something simpler and more major-y in tonality. Thought it sounded a bit Allman Brothers (it doesn't but I used a slide for the first half).

EDIT - sorry. Missed the instructions. Thanks @digitalkettle and @stratman3142 ;

PS: Merry Christmas (in five minutes) to one and all
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  •  @Basher instructions in the first post ;)
  •  @Basher, if you email your track I'll include it in the playlist. Don't worry about the deadline. It's Xmas tomorrow, so I'm in no rush.

Merry Xmas everyone.

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I've got your entry by email @Basher.

There might be a slight delay before I upload it and start the voting, as the missus has given me a list of jobs to help her with our guests at Xmas.

It's not a competition.
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1206
    I've got your entry by email @Basher.

There might be a slight delay before I upload it and start the voting, as the missus has given me a list of jobs to help her with our guests at Xmas.

No worries. I'm not actually bothered about anyone hearing it, much less voting, as I know there are some proper players on here. I just thought it was a nice idea to actually produce something that might (or might not) resemble music, however vaguely.

Thanks for the help and for supporting this side of things. I guess quite a few of us could do with playing more and talking a bit less! 
  • Basher said:
    Thought I'd try this (a) to distract myself from the seasonal nonsense and (b) just to actually (semi) compose something vaguely musical.

Thought everyone would go with the AC/DC thing (I don't like to listen to the others first as the high standard of playing just makes me not want to bother) so thought I'd go with something simpler and more major-y in tonality. Thought it sounded a bit Allman Brothers (it doesn't but I used a slide for the first half).

EDIT - sorry. Missed the instructions. Thanks @digitalkettle and @stratman3142 ;

PS: Merry Christmas (in five minutes) to one and all
    FWIW I didn't intend the backing track to be pure ACDC but more of a generic dad rock thing. The bass line was heavily inspired by All Right Now as was the voicing for the A5 chord.

Looking forward to listening to the playlist and a Merry Christmas to all
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2197
    edited December 2023
    I've got your entry by email @Basher.

Well our guests aren't coming now, as we've just found out they're ill with Covid.

I might have more time on my hands than I thought.

Entry closed.

It's not a competition.
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2197
    edited December 2023
    An entry by @Basher ; is now in the playlist.

It's not a competition.
  • @stratman3142 I have another potential backing track in the works for a future slot if need be.  Kind of Gary Moore ish.  Will send it over when finished to see what you think.   
    Sorry, I didn't respond earlier, Yes that would be very much appreciated.

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @stratman3142 I have another potential backing track in the works for a future slot if need be.  Kind of Gary Moore ish.  Will send it over when finished to see what you think.   
    Thanks. Yes always really appreciate the backing tracks.

You did reply previously :lol: you been on the sherry today  :smile: