Strymon and Line6??

What's Hot
GassageGassage Frets: 30916
So all the strymon guys are ex Line6 and there's a suit between the two businesses re confidentiality? Is this the case or is someone pulling my plonker?

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    oh no but but but Strymon is mojo ... Line6 has a monkey that looks like Johnny Carr... too bad I bought Eventide ;)
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Line 6 went backwards when they lost a host of developers and designers. IMHO they never fully recovered. A bunch of guys left around 2004 and formed Damage Control which makes the Strymon.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Fretwired said:
    Line 6 went backwards when they lost a host of developers and designers. IMHO they never fully recovered. A bunch of guys left around 2004 and formed Damage Control which makes the Strymon.
    This was my understanding. 

It's probably the reason why line 6 modelling is relatively old fashioned.  If Line 6 had supported the designers, you'd be GASSING for a Line 6 BigSky. 

Or, you know, because it's line 6 it would suck tone/be rubbish/not expensive enough etc. ;)
  • Well it's pretty much common knowledge that the Big Sky is just a Verbzilla with a couple of resistor changes and a paint job.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30916
    Line6 always is better than I'd perceived and strymon not

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    This is news to me

Seems like they were smart guys who really knew what they were doing, Line6 would have done well to hold on to employees like that clearly.

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    joeyowen said:
    This is news to me

Seems like they were smart guys who really knew what they were doing, 

Not only smart but they're "Left Brain Artists, Innovators, Thinkers" ;-)

(as it says on the Strymon boxes)
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17609
    edited October 2014 tFB Trader
    joeyowen said:
    This is news to me

Seems like they were smart guys who really knew what they were doing, 

Not only smart but they're "Left Brain Artists, Innovators, Thinkers" ;-)

(as it says on the Strymon boxes)
    Stop reminding me. 

I almost threw my Strymons in the bin without opening the box when I read that pretentious tripe. 

It probably tallies well with all the people who think they are musical innovators because they can play an E minor into a looper with some shimmer reverb.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1815
    seems to me that Strymon are slowly turning into the FX equivalent of PRS.....delays for dentists...

Having used a DL4 for a number of years and now the Timeline, its easy to see that the TL is light years ahead in both design, functionality and tone...
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
     musical innovators because they can play an E minor into a looper with some shimmer reverb.
    Oi, I resemble that remark  :P
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
     It probably tallies well with all the people who think they are musical innovators because they can play an E minor into a looper with some shimmer reverb.

I do that with an Emadd9 so I must be innovative...

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    It is funny how strymon succeeded in making a digital product the hot go-to item for tone snobs.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    welshboyo said:
    seems to me that Strymon are slowly turning into the FX equivalent of PRS.....delays for dentists...

ha, I like that, Delays for Dentists what else have we got?

Distortions for Doctors?
    Boss pedals for errr.. gigging musicians?
    tFB Trader
    hugbot said:
    It is funny how strymon succeeded in making a digital product the hot go-to item for tone snobs.
    I suspect a lot of people don't realise they are digital (or at least the smaller ones)
  • I reckon if Strymon also made modelling amps that were aimed an entry level beginners then the tone snobs would be far more willing to pick holes in their more expensive stuff.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    The main thing I like about the Strymons (or at least the Flint and El Cap that I have) is that they do a small number of things really well and the knobs are easy to understand and do something useful wherever you put them.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    joeyowen said:
    Boss pedals for errr.. gigging musicians?

Boss pedals for beginners (at least that's what some would have you believe)

MXR's for master, no we won't go there....

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

tFB Trader
    I don't think the Strymon dentist thing really tallies as though it's surprising how few big bands use PRS considering how big the brand is there seems to be a Stymon feature in a huge number of rig rundowns these days.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Why does this conversation always seem to imply that Line 6 did something wrong in order to lose employees? People move on of their own volition.

Line 6 still have some DSP wizards working for them, of that I am sure. Their problem is not one of resources, but of life cycle management and product support. The world has moved on from the three or four yearly iterative update model. People expect firmware updates every 4 months, otherwise your products are trashed online almost every where. It's proper mob-mentality horrible shit. Look at how Digitech get talked about on The Gear Page.

Companies need to wizen up to this.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Drew_fx said:
    Why does this conversation always seem to imply that Line 6 did something wrong in order to lose employees? People move on of their own volition.
    Line 6 admitted that losing a number of key employees hit their development plans/upgrade schedules. The truth is Line 6 never made a great deal of money.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!