Plectrums on a nylon string guitar?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• FlipFlip Frets: 68
    It's gratifying to know that the opinion is more widely held than just me. Phew! I've long been a huge admirer of Tommy Tedesco but he does refer to the traditional method of playing the classical guitar, though without mentioning any effect on the strings. My other heroes include Chet Atkins and Jerry Reed and of course they play music that even Mr T couldn't manage with a pick, any more than he could play Recuerdos de  la Alhambra that to my ear he alludes to in the video above. Overall though I feel less critical of players using a pick on nylon strings, so thanks to everyone.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    This thread needs mention of Bernd Steidl's Psycho Acoustic Overture for anyone who, like me, can't get enough of what Di Meola calls mutola. Steidl is the extreme example, but one gets very different sounds out of a nylon stringed guitar with a plectrum and those can be used very musically. There's a good amount of similar playing on Yngwie Malmsteen records too, indeed there even exists a nylon-stringed YJM signature Strat. There's some John Scofield stuff on nylon, too, should anyone care to seek that out.

I personally like the sound of red Jazz IIIs on nlyon strings, and I find them less abrasive, too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom