Cedar/Rosewood vs. Spruce/Walnut

What's Hot
I have an urge for a Cedar/Rosewood guitar, don't know why :)

I already have a lovely Spruce/Walnut Brook which I have no intention of selling.

I know there are many more factors at play but am I likely to see a huge difference tonally between teh two?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    edited December 2023
    Cedar works well on Mahogany,   and also Koa  - played a used Brook Lyn  cedar on koa years ago - it was outstanding,  very projectional (is that actually a word ?  ) and responsive.  wish Id bought it TBH but didnt have the ££
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • I'm hoping to try this combination if I'm able to get to a dealer within the next week or two (or before they sell it).

I was also idly wondering about a cedar\maple combo.  A quick search brought up opposing views and experiences, so it might not be one to buy without first playing.
  • drofluf said:
    I have an urge for a Cedar/Rosewood guitar
    May I draw your attention to https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/47001/fs-ft-tanglewood-tw45nsb-electro-acoustic ... ? ;)
    Trading feedback | FS: Nothing right now
    JM build | Pedalboard plans
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3691
    drofluf said:
    May I draw your attention to https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/47001/fs-ft-tanglewood-tw45nsb-electro-acoustic ... ? ;)
    Thanks but that looks more like mahogany?
  • No personal experience to share, but those inexpensive Sheeran/Lowden guitars come in cedar/rosewood and spruce/walnut and the brand has quite a few stockists. Might be the easiest way of comparing two otherwise identical guitars.
    drofluf said:
    drofluf said:
    Thanks but that looks more like mahogany?
    its cedar on mahogany, 
  • I have a thread on Maple/cedar guitars (https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/246719/maple-cedar-guitars/p1) and, provided my latest has settled down (cedar seems to run in much more quickly than spruce) then the combination is awesome to my elderly ears. Very well balanced and each note clearly audible. That means all the mistakes show.

Walnut and cedar is smoother and warmer. It has a lovely ring about it and It's a little biased toward the bass.

Mahogany and cedar is a bit like a cross between the other two and I've a liking for that combination.

Personally, I now steer clear of rosewood although it does seem very popular. It is initially very attractive but if you listen with any care you will hear a recessed mid-range.

Plainly, a lot depends on the construction of the instrument, your playing style and so these remarks should be taken as one input rather than conclusive.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5450
    barnstorm said:
    No personal experience to share, but those inexpensive Sheeran/Lowden guitars come in cedar/rosewood and spruce/walnut
    I've tried them and they are awful. In any case, they aren't rosewood or walnut, the backs are just laminate. 

I have never seen mahogany that looks anything like that back. Rosewood all the way. The neck and curiously enough the sides as well look like mahogany or one of the 18 zillion mahoganyoid timbers. 

Cedar is the key here. I've played cedar over American Black Walnut, Indian Rosewood, Queensland Maple, and Khaya (aka African Mahogany). Loved all of them! In order, my choices would be the walnut (but those were a Lowden and a McIlroy, so hardly fair), Queensland Maple (my excellent Maton dred), Kyaya (a very nice Furch Blue) and the rosewood (Auden parlor - still a delightful instrument).  (Also a few less memorable combinations, a nasty little Sheeran among them.)

All of those had far more in common with each other than with any spruce-top guitar. Cedar has that wonderful warm clarity, a sound you just don't get with spruce - which offers clarity OR warmth but never both at the same time. (At least not in the same way cedar does. Or Redwood for that matter.)  

Will you see a difference between the spruce and walnut Brook and a cedar top (with any back)? Absolutely! 

Are you thinking of another Brook? Or casting the net wider?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tomjaxtomjax Frets: 74
    I have a Kronbauer cedar over rosewood. It has a fabulous sound, most of that probably down to Trevor Kronbauer's build, and definitely a very different tone to my spruce/rosewood guitars; more rounded, with warmth and smooth, clear trebles. 

I think it's a fantastic wood combo.
    Thanks guys just the advice I was looking for. 

@Tannin probably not another Brook, not sure I have the patience or funds :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2023
    drofluf said:
    Thanks guys just the advice I was looking for. 

probably not another Brook, not sure I have the patience or funds
    * cough *   sitka over red gum is nice,  at the right price   * cough * 
  • Have to say I prefer Sitka to cedar by a mile. Walnut is interesting. Darker sound than mahogany and sometimes more bass. More even EQ. But a fair bit drier sound. One of the best woods I've tried is Bhilwara and I bought it lol
    Have to say I prefer Sitka to cedar by a mile. Walnut is interesting. Darker sound than mahogany and sometimes more bass. More even EQ. But a fair bit drier sound. One of the best woods I've tried is Bhilwara and I bought it lol
    you know there's a mint Larry OM09  on Marketplace for £2k 
    After a late night eBay frenzy that itch is about to be scratched. :)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    drofluf said:
    After a late night eBay frenzy that itch is about to be scratched. :)
    NGD thread here https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/258661/ngd?new=1