Do you really want a 'transparent' gain/overdrive pedal?

What's Hot
PetepassionPetepassion Frets: 900
I recently bought a Timmy V2 and was a little underwhelmed by it. But thinking about it, I'm using it with my valve amp set clean and hoping it's going to give me the sound of the amp when driven/cranked. But it seems to be driving the neutral clean sound which isn't quite the same thing.
   I find my Zvex Box of rock is quite transparent, but not completely and just adds a fantastic 'valve driven' character to the signal. Also my Greer amps Lightspeed does a similar thing when seeking a very light gain, just adds a slight character/smokiness to the sound and much more preferable than the Timmy.
   In the vid I'm using my Maz 18 set clean, half way through the clip I use the Box of rock, and it just sounds glorious to me.
https://youtu.be/jXudQmtjFoI?si=9hIkQGQQE-ZoWU0q
‘It is no measure of good health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society’
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MrBumpMrBump Frets: 1246
    I know what you mean.  My favourite drive pedal is the MXR GT-OD, which is nothing like transparent.  It thickens and colours the sound and adds something intangible to it.
    Mark de Manbey

Trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/72424/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I'd also say the Nobels ODR1 does a very similar thing, very 'amp like', a bit darker and fuller than transparent
    ‘It is no measure of good health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society’
  • Isn't the Greer Lightspeed just a Timmy by another name?
  • I bought a Klone recently and was also pretty underwhelmed by it. Much prefer my BD-2
  • Isn't the Greer Lightspeed just a Timmy by another name?
    I couldn't say, I just know that side by side the Lightspeed sounds very different
  • mo6020mo6020 Frets: 387
    Most of these "transparent" OD pedals want to be going into an amp that's at least starting to cook slightly, imo. 

On my main board these days my normal gain stage is a fuzz and a boost - I like to keep it simple and predictable...
    "Filthy appalachian goblin."

https://edmorgan.info
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • The Timmy worked as it should... a transparent OD, imho, works best with an amp that you like the core sounds of... that is, the aim is to just add a bit more to your amp. The Tim and Timmy excel at this...

If you want to add gain, another OD is the best option. And of course, sometimes you want a pedal that colours your sound.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I bought a Klone recently and was also pretty underwhelmed by it. Much prefer my BD-2
    I like my RYRA clone when used in front of a drive pedal or driven amp, as in the vid...
    https://youtu.be/7xYKZHUQmfY?si=bBUDdTagrlEWEYvC
  • @Mo & Waz, yeah, that's the conclusion I came to
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1682
    So what are we doing with the gain knob on a 'transparent OD'? Usually quite low and letting it push the amp?
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2258
    I run the gain at about 9 or 10 o clock with the amp on the edge of breakup. It's pushing the amp. At home the amps xlean and amp type overdrive are doing the work. I've got 2 overdrives and a boost on my main board. One od is set for more gain
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2335
    Just get a Barber gain changer
  • thomasw88 said:
    Just get a Barber gain changer
    Just had a quick look, don't seem to be many about. Although I am happy with the Box of rock.
  • Pete, the RYRA is probably my fave Klone 
  • Pete, the RYRA is probably my fave Klone 
    Great pedal, can even be used as an always on pedal with the gain off and tweaking the treble and volume
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12454
    Have you tried a peacekeeper?, I prefer it to the klones I've had plus the Nobels and the Tubescreamer, great range from very light gain to quite a bit.  I run a compressor into a boost into a peacekeeper into a fuzz for all manner of various gain stages - all into a clean amp.
  • munckee said:
    Have you tried a peacekeeper?, I prefer it to the klones I've had plus the Nobels and the Tubescreamer, great range from very light gain to quite a bit.  I run a compressor into a boost into a peacekeeper into a fuzz for all manner of various gain stages - all into a clean amp.
    I currently have a Thorpy The Dane on my board, which I believe is similar? I have this going into my Lightspeed then into my Box of rock. This gives me a multitude of gain levels, tones and even treble booster.
    I like my RYRA clone when used in front of a drive pedal or driven amp, as in the vid...
    That does sound good. I’m just finding that when I get the treble to where I want it on mine, it’s sucked too much bass out. 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17704
    tFB Trader
    I think the whole "Transparent overdrive" thing is a bit meaningless.

The only way you get transparent is by using a clean boost and lots of them actually add some clipping, compression or a mid of a mid hump. 

As far as I can tell when people say transparent overdrive they just mean not something like a TS or SD-1 with a massive mid hump / bass cut.

That said I think the Timmy and BoR are both great overdrives and it's more about the type of amp you use and how you like them set. The BoR is designed with a vintage Marshall in mind so it's in it's sweet spot with the Maz18
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    That does sound good. I’m just finding that when I get the treble to where I want it on mine, it’s sucked too much bass out. 
    I’m down the rehearsal room tonight, so I’ll take the RYRA and record some settings.