Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Album of the Year 2023

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• droflufdrofluf Frets: 3691
    My “most played” this year seem to have been 

• Both of the National’s albums 
    • Silver Moth
    • Boygenius
    • The single Bending Hectic from The Smile
    • Gracie Abrahams
    • Jason Isbell

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Ooh I'd forgotten about the Hollie Cook one, I shall have to look up the Prince Fatty one - he doesn't seem to put a foot wrong. 
    I definitely owe you a big thank you or a beer for putting me on to Prince Fatty and Hollie Cook @EricTheWeary - I've had many happy hours of listening time going through his back catalogue.  I am a big fan of his production - his characteristic sound, warm and analogue...... I've seen some great interviews too - he's served an apprenticeship under great reggae producers and is a real gear head - he's collected original gear from some of the great Jamaican studios..... 

He doesn't produce this Hollie Cook album or the dub. The production is similar to Prince Fatty's but not quite as good IMHO - but the songs are really good - the best since her first album......

I would definitely have a look for the Prince Fatty meets Gorgon in dub record though. It's only just been released - but is really really good. You might recognise some of the tracks - they are original Aggravators tracks that have been reworked and mixed. They sound great.   

Do you read? There is a fantastic book about the history of Jamaican music - Bass Culture - When reggae was king by Lloyd George.  Its really interesting, it talks about the circumstances that led to the birth of the Jamaican music industry and how it developed, as well as how the socio-economic and culturally history of the island influenced the music that was made there. It's really comprehensive -  but gripping too. Perhaps a lot it might be familiar to you -  but I found it fascinating. I'd happily send you my copy as a thank you. 

Anyway - have a great Christmas. 

I have only read one book about the history of reggae (oh and one about Bob Marley), I can’t even remember what it was called but it wasn’t great. I tend to read quite a bit when we are away in the campervan (apart from walking the dog there isn’t always that much else to do!). The new critically acclaimed history of 2 Tone (Too Much Too Young) I’ve just bought for the massive sum of 99p on my kindle! 
    If that’s alright by you, obviously no rush, and have a very merry Christmas
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • I don't tend to buy many albums, and since Prime Music went to shit I don't stream many either. Working from home has also removed the hour-plus of commuting I used to do, so the number of albums released this year that I have listened to is limited.

Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit - Weathervanes tops the (very short) list.
    I didn't know that Dirty Honey had released a new album, so I got that and listened to it today, which is pretty good (although the original EP is still probably my favourite of their releases).
    Station released a new album this year as well, And Time Goes On, which I also listened to for the first time today and also enjoyed.
  • Vintage65Vintage65 Frets: 334
    edited December 2023
    No love for Wednesday? Occupying a dizzying 6th spot on the aggregated 2023 AOTY chart, I find their genre-bending country tinged alt-rock quite interesting, especially the fella on the distorted pedal steel guitar.
    edited December 2023
    Playlist of selected tracks from the Top 50 Albums of the Year all in one place.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/0yFuhA2pGwyCQ1rsKW1HnO
  • Maybe I'm doing something wrong but when I click on the link in the first post in the thread, it shows me an "aggregate" list of 50 albums and that is all that I can see.

Of that the only album on the list I own, is "But Here We Are" by Foo Fighters and I don't even like it.

I bought it to support FF more than anything but it's not that great, especially considering the albums that they made prior (Medicine at Midnight was absolutely brilliant).

Anyway, I feel the rest of the albums on the list are utter shite. Some of the artists on the list I absolutely detest, especially Lana Del Rey and Caroline Polachek.

This is not music.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2023
    Reverend said:
    Vintage65 said:
    I like the new Lankum album, it's something a bit different, and it is good to see them getting some recognition.
    I like them, but putting them in a list of hipster dross like this almost ruins it
    Breaking News - the Guardian have just announced Lankum as their Best Album of the Year, and it has catapulted them into the Top 10. Now they are well and truly f***ed!  :)

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2023/dec/05/the-50-best-albums-of-2023
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom