What's Your Favourite Guitar Body Style/Size? (Random Question I know!)

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    I played one of the Brook SJs  up in Intersound  - man the soundwaves were unreal, very satisfying to strum - bit like cranking up an amp............. but I wouldnt want to play one sitting for more than 5 minutes
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tomjaxtomjax Frets: 74
    razorbill said:
    My only two flattops at the minute are SJs, but I wouldn't say no to an OM/000. A really enjoyable full and balanced sound. Great fingerstyle guitars imo

And wow, what a special pair of SJs! Enjoy...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    edited December 2023
    Dunno if my L body is classed as a small jumbo but you get a great sound out of these larger bodies. I think that body is the most versatile I've come across as is also great for fingerstyle (and often think of just keeping it). I feel a tiny bit of mids "thrum" is exchanged for an increase in bass. There's more of everything - sometimes though with larger bodies the sound can be very loud and overpowering for the old war drums. The small bass boost sounds more natural, with better balance across strings to my ears, than a smaller body with scalloped bracing. Sometimes there is too much focus on bass. I prefer the OM overall. Every body has a signature sound and the OM sounds really pleasing to my ear (but bigger is better for strumming... More than 4.5" body depth and I struggle, though). 

Tried a 12 fret Larry OM (hog top) yesterday and wow, that thing sounded great. More bass than the equivalent rosewood model. I also tried a few rosewoods. Unfortunately not the OM09 I'd have liked to but the difference to the mahogany bodies wasn't THAT great a difference. Slightly more bass, slightly dipped mids, didn't notice any metallic trebles - maybe the differences are more highlighted for the listener than the player. I think build is the main factor. Saying that, same build but moon top with Bhilwara back and sides did sound very different - the "woodiest" of them all. 
  • bertie said:
    I played one of the Brook SJs  up in Intersound  - man the soundwaves were unreal, very satisfying to strum - bit like cranking up an amp............. but I wouldnt want to play one sitting for more than 5 minutes
    Is that due to the sheer volume coming out of it?
    bertie said:
    Is that due to the sheer volume coming out of it?
    volume and bass tones  -   it was like a shockwave,  knocked over 4 guitars and 3 customers
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hahaha!! 

That's exactly what I get when playing the L body. I've got sensitive ears and sometimes it can be overpowering.
    Intro to Take it Easy  sounded great tho
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom