Recording myself in (one of) my happy place(s)?

What's Hot
SlopeSoarerSlopeSoarer Frets: 832
edited December 2023 in Studio & Recording
Eventually I've negotiated a sort of music room for myself with Mrs C. The double bed has gone out of bedroom 3 and been replaced with two single futons (which are ace) and all of a sudden I've got a great small space  (14' 9" x 8'). I have to be carefull I don't over fill it as a few times a year it will have to be used as a bedroom but I can live with that. The sound in there is great to my ears, I'm very happy and quickly I've noticed an improvement in my practice.

I'd like to do some basic recording of myself to monitor/motivate my progress. I don't want to spend more than I need and I don't want to have more equipment than absolutely necessary bearing in mind it does have to quickly revert in to a bedroom at times.

What equipment would you recommend?

By the way 99% of the time I only play acoustic.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• droflufdrofluf Frets: 3706
    Looks pretty perfect: guitars, beer and dog. What more do you need?

For recording: can you get a laptop/computer in there? If so a cheapish USB microphone and a free copy of Audacity. 
    Or if you have an IPad a microphone and GarageBand. Don’t know about Android devices I’m afraid. 

If you want standalone something like a Zoom H1n https://amzn.eu/d/dDNP7zE
  • Thanks @drofluf, yes I have laptop and desktop that I could use, laptop betteras it is easier to move when needed. Unfortunately I don't have access to GarageBand which I believe is excellent. I've downloaded Audacity (I've used this in the distant past for editing Napster downloads!). I'll have look at USB mics, any recommendations? 
  • WhistlerWhistler Frets: 322
    At least some acoustic treatment, otherwise the room will have a resonant sound that will tire you out much quicker. Plus, once you get a mic and start recording it will sound boxy. So definitely get some acoustic treatment.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I guess that is one of those things that you have to assess as you go along? But yes that had crossed my mind. I'm open to any advice to what could be suitable (apart from egg cartons!).
  • S56035S56035 Frets: 1128
    That's a dog? I thought mine was small. If you've got a Mac then the the Scarlett Solo interface will just work. I have one for connecting to garageband and it's nice and easy.
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1527
    Eventually I've negotiated a sort of music room for myself with Mrs C. The double bed has gone out of bedroom 3 and been replaced with two single futons (which are ace) and all of a sudden I've got a great small space  (14' 9" x 8'). I have to be carefull I don't over fill it as a few times a year it will have to be used as a bedroom but I can live with that. The sound in there is great to my ears, I'm very happy and quickly I've noticed an improvement in my practice.

I'd like to do some basic recording of myself to monitor/motivate my progress. I don't want to spend more than I need and I don't want to have more equipment than absolutely necessary bearing in mind it does have to quickly revert in to a bedroom at times.

By the way 99% of the time I only play acoustic.

Better not play too loud you'll wake the Hobbit..... =)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • S56035 said:
    That's a dog? I thought mine was small. If you've got a Mac then the the Scarlett Solo interface will just work. I have one for connecting to garageband and it's nice and easy.
    Ha, ha yes she's massive to me. The full 2.6 kg that she is!

Regarding Garageband, I don't have any Apple stuff unfortunately.

I bet your scared now:-)
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6879
    I assumed he was referring to the tiny person that lives behind the tiny door on the end wall ;)
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3706
    Thanks @drofluf, yes I have laptop and desktop that I could use, laptop betteras it is easier to move when needed. Unfortunately I don't have access to GarageBand which I believe is excellent. I've downloaded Audacity (I've used this in the distant past for editing Napster downloads!). I'll have look at USB mics, any recommendations? 
    I started a thread asking the same question https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/230765/budget-usb-microphone-recommendation-please#latest

I’ve also got just the microphone from this kit: https://www.marantzpro.com/products/view/pod-pack-1 that I’d be prepared to let go

• I've just been Googling mics and the Audio Technica AT2020 comes up a lot, doesn't look to unrealistic a price. 

The Marantz pack looks great value at £29.99 almost too cheap but like you @drofluf I'm not looking to become a Grammy award winner!
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27608
    You'll need an interface to sit between your instruments/mics and the laptop (and the DAW application of your choice).

I think Audacity is more of a sound editor than a DAW designed to support multi-track recording, so you'll have to decide when it'll be adequate for what you plan on doing.

My recommendation - because it's where I eventually started and it's worked fine for me - is something like this;
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/PreSonus-AudioBox-USB-25th-Anniversary/dp/B08D8R6VFC/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3EI7N91PAGUMZ&keywords=presonus&qid=1703100815&sprefix=presonus%2Caps%2C134&sr=8-3&th=1
    That gives you the interface and a bundled version of Studio One (which is a fully functional DAW).

However, if you want to record more than two tracks simultaneously (eg a stereo-mic'd acoustic plus vocals) that particular interface wouldn't be suitable as it only has two inputs.  (You just record each track separately, ie stereo-mic'd acoustic track, then a vocal track, then perhaps a keys track, etc - I've never found the 2 inputs to be a practical constraint.)

If any of your acoustics have built-in pickup, you'd save yourself the trouble of sorting out mics, placement, etc, and be less prone to the acoustic properties of the room.  If you need to manage the recorded sound, then there are plugins a-plenty that will help with that (and not very expensive) once you've captured the recording into the DAW.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • S56035S56035 Frets: 1128
    S56035 said:
    Ha, ha yes she's massive to me. The full 2.6 kg that she is!

Regarding Garageband, I don't have any Apple stuff unfortunately.

I bet your scared now:-)
    Sorry, got your original post and the next one mixed up so thought you had a Mac. Must have been the fear from seeing the wolverine! She sure is cute.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Cheers @TTony I'll take a look.
  • WhistlerWhistler Frets: 322
    edited December 2023
    I guess that is one of those things that you have to assess as you go along? But yes that had crossed my mind. I'm open to any advice to what could be suitable (apart from egg cartons!).
    Unless you jump in the deep end with a sizeable budget, you can make (cheaper) or buy (less work) acoustic treatment and add it step by step, as you have the interest, time and money.

There are a number of Fretboarders that have studios or treated recording spaces. One example is octatonic's topic Studio makeover. Look for the finished bare room on page 1 and the same room filled with acoustic treatment on page 2.

Here is a finished panel (with a whole lot more in the making):

You can start with one or more and continue from there. You can even leave it until you start to get irritated by the boxy, reverb-filled sound of your recordings and then come back here to work out where to start. Help is at hand when you are ready to ask.

Edit: I forgot to warn you that any acoustic treatment that contains egg boxes, foam or carpet will not be the most effective or the most cost-effective methods. Anyone suggesting them should be politely ignored.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27104
    edited December 2023
    Awesome! We swapped our big stupid and rarely-used spare bed for a sofa bed a year ago. Then optimised everything else so I have room for music kit, record player, etc.

I haven’t done much recording yet but so far I got a couple of mic stands, Scarlett 4i4 interface and a couple of mics (Rode Nt1 and Beyer M88TG, which I already had). That works really well for acoustic guitars & vocals. That runs into Logic on Macbook or GarageBand on iPad depending on how much effort I’m making! 

No acoustic treatment yet as I don’t feel any immediate need with a very thick carpet and heavy floor-to ceiling curtains on 1 wall, but I’m open to suggestions of how much a difference it might make. Currently the room isn’t dead like some studios but sounds good to my ears so far

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • SlopeSoarerSlopeSoarer Frets: 832
    edited December 2023
    Thanks @Whistler I'll take a look at @octatonic page, it sounds interesting. Edit.... that's amazing

That looks a great job @stickyfiddle ;
  • Thanks @Whistler I'll take a look at @octatonic page, it sounds interesting.

Nice work there @stickyfiddle ;
    Cheers. It was a lot of work painting and sorting shit out last December (the latter is STILL work in progress a year later…) but it’s my little sanctuary and absolutely wonderful. I mostly just go in there to listen to records but having everything at my fingertips just to play is so good in a way I’d never really anticipated before I had it. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • SlopeSoarerSlopeSoarer Frets: 832
    drofluf said:
    Looks pretty perfect: guitars, beer and dog. What more do you need?

For recording: can you get a laptop/computer in there? If so a cheapish USB microphone and a free copy of Audacity. 
    Or if you have an IPad a microphone and GarageBand. Don’t know about Android devices I’m afraid. 

If you want standalone something like a Zoom H1n https://amzn.eu/d/dDNP7zE

Thanks for the pointer @drofluf with regard to the Zoom H1n, this actually looks a great simple solution for me. I've just ordered one from DV247. They are at the time of writing selling these for £51 which seems fantastic value for money.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom