Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Patch Cable Recommendations

What's Hot
HT986M2HT986M2 Frets: 97
At the grand ol’ age of 37 I’m building my first pedal board.  Up until now it’s been modellers and multi-fx all the way, with never more than a couple of sporadic pedals here and there. 

So I now have a decent board and a very good isolated power supply. I don’t want to have spend money on decent pedals and a decent power supply only for the quality of the connections to let the side down. 

At the minute I have a few MXR pancake patch cables. They work, they seem to introduce minimal if no interference, but they look a bit naff.  The cables themselves are also a bit too stiff for getting pedals in right next to each other whilst still being able to tuck the excess cable away. 

So I’m looking for low profile, flat patch cables that are somewhat malleable. Ideally they will also blend in looks-wise.  At this stage I’m not really looking to build my own using a solderless kit. 

I’ve heard Klotz are good and meet the criteria,  but I haven’t heard of many others.  So please let me know of any recommendations you guys may have. 

Thanks!
Trading feedback available here
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3869
    As long as your don't get cheap and nasty jobs from Amazon or eBay or summink, I think it's hard to go wrong these days.

I've just rewired with Rockboard cables and have been impressed with them. Same low capacitance as more expensive cables so I didn't see the need to spend more.

EBS if you want to spend a bit more and get the same result. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Ernie Ball flat ribbon cables are another option to consider. 
    This one goes to eleven

Trading feedback here
  • Th4fonzTh4fonz Frets: 245
    edited December 2023
    EBS gold patch cables can’t go wrong and super low profile
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • pt22pt22 Frets: 274
    maharg101 said:
    Ernie Ball flat ribbon cables are another option to consider. 
    On sale via Amazon as well, or at least they were earlier this week. 
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3423
    edited December 2023
    Th4fonz said:
    I have one of these and it’s noisier than my solderless. Being flat you’re also constrained slightly in routing, they can only bend one way. If that suits you’re fine.
  • maharg101 said:
    These are great. I've gone from soldering my own to using these on 2 of my 3 boards. No failures yet after 2 years.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I use a mixture of EBS flat, rockboard, and home made ones, and a few random ones I've picked up over the years. The only ones I've had which I remember being a problem were a pack of Mooer ones I had were a couple went intermittent (that was a few years ago so they may be totally different now). 
  • timbuk02timbuk02 Frets: 271
    maharg101 said:
    These are great. I've gone from soldering my own to using these on 2 of my 3 boards. No failures yet after 2 years.

another +1 for these, they are all metal - a lot of others are not.

• NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 775
    Th4fonz said:
    My last purchase from Anderton's and can't recommend them enough. 
  • maharg101 said:
    These get my vote too. I bought expensive cables and can't hear any noticeable difference so have switched to mostly using these as they fit so well.
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1633
    I don't know any of the suggested products but do note... a cable cannot be "noisy" unless it is faulty in some way or the plug is corroded.

Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6692
    Another shout out for Ernie Ball Flats.  

Far superior to the EBS in terms of handling noise and they sound great. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24286
    EBS flats for me.
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader
    Mainly EBS flats and one or two Rockboard, for lengths not available at the time in EBS.
    Thin flexy cables and being black they pretty much disappear visually, with a black board.
  • I bought some of these recently - great quality (Rean/Van Damme) and very reasonably priced. Loads of other options and I think they skso do custom lengths. Will definitely buy from them again.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284402335711
  • Hellsbells87Hellsbells87 Frets: 104
    edited December 2023
    Hadn’t seen the EB ribbons before, they look good. I use the regular EBS flats (as I also can’t be bothered to get into making my own but understand in many ways that’s the best option) - they’re superb. They have plastic heads which are much more pedal friendly than other metal-headed options, especially on a congested board. In fact, I’m pretty sure all my pedals would have immitation rack rash if all the patch cables had metal heads. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    Probably not the answer you’re looking for because the plugs aren’t low profile enough, but I’ve always used the multicoloured moulded plastic ones you can buy for about a quid each in packs of six, and I’ve not had a single problem with them, ever. Totally reliable and sound fine.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1633
    Hadn’t seen the EB ribbons before, they look good. I use the regular EBS flats (as I also can’t be bothered to get into making my own but understand in many ways that’s the best option) - they’re superb. They have plastic heads which are much more pedal friendly than other metal-headed options, especially on a congested board. In fact, I’m pretty sure all my pedals would have immitation rack rash if all the patch cables had metal heads. 

Yeah, still have a couple of those left that I bought from Maplin!

Dave.
  • Thanks for the suggestions everyone. 

So the consensus seems to be that you can’t go wrong with the Ernie Ball ribbons and Rockboard flat cables? But that the disadvantage of the flatter/ribbon styles are that they can really only be bent one way?

Not a problem in most cases, but worth knowing. 

Trading feedback available here
  • For what it’s worth I bought a pack of the Donner 15cm patch cables from Amazon recently. Very flat, low profile jacks and the cables are very flexible. I’m very ocd about cables and these ones allowed me to hide cables easily and also get the pedals really close to each other. Quality seems very good to me and I’ve had no issues with them.