Seymour duncan andromeda power supply 9-18v.

What's Hot

Any ideas on if I could use a generic 8v powersupply with a seymour duncan andromeda pedal , I have a boss 9v powersupply but not too sure if it's suitable. 

Have checked on ebay and there is a few sellers selling 18v compatible psu units but on the seymour duncan website it's a 9v. 

Here is a photo of the back which reads 
9-18 vdc 

https://ibb.co/MPRSp2K

Thanks 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Assuming it's the correct polarity and supplies at least the amount of current the Andromeda needs it should be fine (manual says centre negative, 300mA). 

Generic power supplies can sometimes be noisy when used for audio applications, but you'll need to try yours to see if it is.

The manual also says you can use 9-18v to power the pedal, suggesting that there's some sort of conversion going on inside the pedal to change the supplied voltage to whatever the internal circuits need.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    You should be able to use the Boss supply. The current requirement is 150mA, and the lowest-rated Boss one is the old PSA-240 at 200mA, although newer ones are higher - the newest is 500mA - check the spec label on it if you’re not sure.

The pedal spec does say it needs a 300mA supply, so there may be a power-up demand a bit higher than 150mA, but it will be brief and I would expect even the old 200mA version to work. If the rating is 300mA or higher it will be fine.

https://www.musicalstore2005.com/strumenti_accessori/Seymour-Duncan-Andromeda-Dynamic-Digital-Delay.pdf

The 8V supply may not work even if the current capacity is high enough, a lot of newer digital pedals have sensing circuitry and won't power up if the supply isn't adequate.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ^^^ i assumed the 8v supply was a typo but yes, if it wasn't I would assume it wouldn't work.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• musicalstashmusicalstash Frets: 53
    edited December 2023
    Thanks for the advice, l try the boss psu once I get home .

I also have this in my spares draw , will it do the job?

https://ibb.co/6RSCz1S

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    edited December 2023
    Edit - linky working now. Yes, that should be fine if the plug fits.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    Edit - linky working now. Yes, that should be fine if the plug fits.
    Thanks