Board without Velcro

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• TJT1979TJT1979 Frets: 188
    edited January 2
    I got some thin aluminium and cut strips of probably 15mm wide. A couple of cm longer than the width of the pedal. Two holes line up with the screws in the base of the pedal, so it's screwed on together with the baseplate. Then holes at the end, and the pedal is screwed into the board. So far my board is still a bit of MDF but at some point I'll make a nice hardwood board.

Once screwed down they are solid, but obviously it's slower to remove things than with velcro.

For a gigging board it's the best solution I've found. I'll try to remember to take a pic next time I'm at the band room. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3876
    Decent quality velcro doesn't leave gunk. No need to invent a problem where there isn't one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27080
    Lebarque said:
    Decent quality velcro doesn't leave gunk. No need to invent a problem where there isn't one.
    Yeah this, srsly! This is so much work for so little benefit... 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 755
    Lebarque said:
    From seeing a couple for vids where Dan Steinhart (who, let's face it, would know) builds a board either on TPS or a GigRig video, he seems to suggest that velcro loop stuff on the board with small amounts of the (I think?) mid density Dual-Lock on the pedal itself does the trick. This is what I'm going to try. 

Standard velcro is a bit too unstable, I think - wabbles and prone to shifting. Doesn't matter so much with smaller pedals. But a HX FX needs to be held in place!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28361
    I like the aluminium profile idea. Clever, and all commercial-off-the-shelf. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27080
    Lebarque said:
    From seeing a couple for vids where Dan Steinhart (who, let's face it, would know) builds a board either on TPS or a GigRig video, he seems to suggest that velcro loop stuff on the board with small amounts of the (I think?) mid density Dual-Lock on the pedal itself does the trick. This is what I'm going to try. 

Standard velcro is a bit too unstable, I think - wabbles and prone to shifting. Doesn't matter so much with smaller pedals. But a HX FX needs to be held in place!
    That's exactly what I do. I just use the soft side of whatever Pedaltrains ship with on the board, and 3M Dual Lock (which GigRig sells as "Pedalboard Tape") on the pedals. Something like 1 square cm in each corner of a typical small pedal is usually plenty. Double that for bigger/heavier stuff
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • FWIW I’ve used the standard Velcro branded stuff for years and never had any complaints. I haven’t even needed to use a lot of that in most cases - for a standard MXR sized pedal I just use one finger-width strip across the top and one across the bottom and it’s held. Avoid any stickers you don’t want to ruin and it comes off easy.

A caveat is must disclose is that I’ve not had to travel with my pedal board a lot over recent years - so if you’re going to be taking it out and about all the time then maybe something more substantial will be needed.
  • spev11spev11 Frets: 333
    Sporky said:
    I like the aluminium profile idea. Clever, and all commercial-off-the-shelf. 
    I've placed an order for some, a little different to the links i posted, its slighty wider so the 3 or 4 bars have a bit more real estate. Will post pics once it arrives.
  • InactiveXInactiveX Frets: 283
    edited January 2

I have the original BCB-6, which has the knobbly bits sticking out of the case that use friction to attach the pedals. I stick 0.5mm neoprene on the pedals where they meet the knobbly bits, and they stay down nicely. It only takes Boss compact pedals though.

Here's an example pic (not my board):

Don’t follow influencers
    Watch the parking meters
  • FezFez Frets: 526
    TJT1979 said:
    I got some thin aluminium and cut strips of probably 15mm wide. A couple of cm longer than the width of the pedal. Two holes line up with the screws in the base of the pedal, so it's screwed on together with the baseplate. Then holes at the end, and the pedal is screwed into the board. So far my board is still a bit of MDF but at some point I'll make a nice hardwood board.

Once screwed down they are solid, but obviously it's slower to remove things than with velcro.

For a gigging board it's the best solution I've found. I'll try to remember to take a pic next time I'm at the band room. 
    I once made a board using ally strips like that but looped cable ties through holes in the board which worked quite well.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • Bennyboy-UKBennyboy-UK Frets: 1726
    Aclam looks just the ticket - anyone have experience (noting the price tag!)?

The bicycle chain though is an excellent idea, cunning even!

I may well do this first...
    Hi there,

I've got an older S2 board which is great for the pedals I use. I've not had any problems routing cables wherever the pedal jacks are located.

Here's a shot from over the summer:

The top row are in the amps effects loop, and the tuner goes in front of the amp.

I was going to get a bigger one, but I did see that Joyo do a knock-off for a lot less money which was tempting - if its not on one of the links that people have shared - here they are... 

https://www.joyoaudio.co.uk/JOYO-rockdriver-pedal-case-board/joyo-gpb-03-block-and-lock-guitar-pedalboard-and-bag ;

The big Joyo one is £124 including a bag.

Cheers and good luck,
    Ben.

I'm always looking for interesting USA Hamers for sale.

At the moment I'm looking for:
    * Hamer Watson, SS2, Vintage S, T62.
    * Music Man Luke 1, Luke II

Please drop me a message.
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1369
    Only just read this Thread. I've had an Aclam Board for a few years. Mine's about twice the length of yours.

Whilst they work well enough, and inevitably the odd one loosens a bit and needs retightening, the one thing I find you have to watch is that the bit on the underside doesn't turn of it's own accord as you tighten it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CarpeDiemCarpeDiem Frets: 291
    I use a Boss BCB-60 and have cut/reconfigured some of the foam to accommodate pedals which are bigger than the standard Boss size. Prior to this, I cut ply board to fit within a rigid case, cut small holes in the ply and used string-sized elastic to retain the pedals in place. No Velcro was harmed in it’s construction.

the profile has arrived, knocked it up to see how it will work, waiting on some rubber grommets for the little L brackets, otherwise I think it will work fine,will update as I go if anyone is interested
    IMG_3717.JPG 335.2K
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28361
    I am - not a pedal board user any more, but I enjoy a good make. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • allenallen Frets: 710
    edited January 9
    Aclam looks just the ticket - anyone have experience (noting the price tag!)?

The bicycle chain though is an excellent idea, cunning even!

I may well do this first...
    I've got the joyo version of the aclam. I absolutely love it.

https://www.joyoaudio.co.uk/JOYO-rockdriver-pedal-case-board/joyo-gpb-03-block-and-lock-guitar-pedalboard-and-bag

Not available through joyo. It's on Amazon under the name 'guitto'

https://amzn.to/3vDlB9O

The profile works great, I was hoping to buy the rubber stoppers from the Guitto board but I can't find em for sale anywhere. I'll keep looking, i'll post some pics of the current build later