N(O)GD… the return of the Shredder :)

What's Hot
skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4176
edited January 4 in Guitar
New (Old) Guitar Day - I got this guitar in a swap a few years ago, and in one of my chopping & changing moments, sold it to a friend. Almost instantly regretted it, but luckily he gave me first refusal when he decided to sell it, so here it is again

It’s a GJ2 Shredder - GJ2 is Grover Jackson’s post-Jackson company, they’re called Grover Jackson Engineering now. Anyway, about the guitar: 24.5” scale length, bit more of a traditional feeling neck than my other guitars, not quite as slim but still very comfortable. Not sure what the pickups are but they’re very hot; Hipshot tuners and Original Floyd Rose. Very very happy to have it back!

Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 17reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GizmoGizmo Frets: 1076
    I remember seeing Rob Marcello doing a demo vid of these a fair few years ago (turns out it was a bout 8 years!)

I've been on the look out for one on evilbay and the like but never seen one popup, Looks and sounds fantastic in the vid (but i guess rob could make anything sounds great!) Gratz on the return NGD.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4176
    Gizmo said:
    I remember seeing Rob Marcello doing a demo vid of these a fair few years ago (turns out it was a bout 8 years!)

I've been on the look out for one on evilbay and the like but never seen one popup, Looks and sounds fantastic in the vid (but i guess rob could make anything sounds great!) Gratz on the return NGD.

Yeah they’re pretty rare, in this country at least. When I originally got it in the swap I looked online first, and the only other one I could find was on eBay, with a serial number one up from mine.

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699
    I was super intrigued by these at the time. I went to look at them a few years back and they weren't in stores anymore.

I'll check GJ Engineering now though.

Is it Grover or Wayne Charvel who did Friedman's early guitars?
    tekbow said:
    I was super intrigued by these at the time. I went to look at them a few years back and they weren't in stores anymore.

I'll check GJ Engineering now though.

Is it Grover or Wayne Charvel who did Friedman's early guitars?
    I think it was Grover. Couldn’t swear to it, but it rings a bell…

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309
    Oooh. I like that. 

Enjoy!

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• Bennyboy-UKBennyboy-UK Frets: 1726

I think it was Grover Jackson as well on those Friedmans.

Grover Jackson is also making necks for Jeff Richard, a Hamer Fan Club friend of mines newish guitar pickup company, now venturing into complete guitars:

https://carondeletpickups.com/our-guitars-basses

Jeff was making pickups for Mike Learn over the last few years amongst others.
    I'm always looking for interesting USA Hamers for sale.

At the moment I'm looking for:
    * Hamer Watson, SS2, Vintage S, T62.
    * Music Man Luke 1, Luke II

Please drop me a message.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • grappagreengrappagreen Frets: 1343
    Right up my street.. very nice
  • Very nice, enjoy.
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    Super guitar, and thanks for the Marcello, @Gizmo. Always good to hear him, fair bit of Greg Howe feel in that number. I wonder if I can find a Gibson-scale superstrat to have a go on, the idea is intriguing (think I've only ever briefly played a Caparison Horus that'd fit that bill, and that was the HGS model, which is a bit of an oddball)...
    DLM said:
    Super guitar, and thanks for the Marcello, @Gizmo. Always good to hear him, fair bit of Greg Howe feel in that number. I wonder if I can find a Gibson-scale superstrat to have a go on, the idea is intriguing (think I've only ever briefly played a Caparison Horus that'd fit that bill, and that was the HGS model, which is a bit of an oddball)...

If you're anywhere near Essex you're more than welcome to pop round and give it a go :)

Most kind, thank you, but that's a 750 mile hike (not to mention a good swim) from where I am! I played one of the first Glendoras to reach Germany in a sadly missed shop here a few years ago and really liked it, but was shopping for something with 24 frets at the time (and ended up getting something with 30! :lol: ). It looked like this, which reminded me a little of the Green Meanie:

The lack of the last dot marker does trip my OCD, though!

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4169
    Well done Skullfunkery It’s absolutely wonderful ,congratulations 

DLM said:
    Most kind, thank you, but that's a 750 mile hike (not to mention a good swim) from where I am! I played one of the first Glendoras to reach Germany in a sadly missed shop here a few years ago and really liked it, but was shopping for something with 24 frets at the time (and ended up getting something with 30! :lol: ). It looked like this, which reminded me a little of the Green Meanie:

DLM said:

I remember seeing the green meanie one in Guitarist magazine . It gives me terrible unrequited Gas 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18779
    That isn't a shredder, this is a shredder... ;)   https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-67884583
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    There are many shredders, but this one is mine: 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    DLM said:
    There are many shredders, but this one is mine: 

It’s a similar colour to mine!

edited January 5
    Yeah, I guess most of my guitars are shredders, but I only have one which was officially designated Extreme Shredding Machine

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/112462/gas-nlnssmlcgd-ibanez-limited-edition-for-2011-showcase-model-rg-extreme-shredding-machine#latest

• NightswanNightswan Frets: 1368
    Lovely piece of kit!!
  • allenallen Frets: 707
    By some bizarre coincidence I've just spotted this thread and I'm selling mine here.

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/262861/fs-ft-grover-jackson-guitar

allen said:
    By some bizarre coincidence I've just spotted this thread and I'm selling mine here.

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/262861/fs-ft-grover-jackson-guitar

That's literally only the third one I've seen in this country. When I did the original swap to get mine there was one on eBay with a serial number close to mine.

Good luck with the sale!