Songs where the verse and chorus have the same chord pattern

What's Hot

Comments

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    Country Feedback by REM.

Trude said:

Imagine being Toploader. The only song you're known for is a cover, and you probably earned sod all from it. 
    Joe definitely made a couple of million from that cover, I know it funded him for at least a decade. A shared acquaintance told me once that the record company rang him up to apologise as they had somehow omitted half a million in royalties and were worried that he’d noticed (Joe hadn’t). Goes to show that a track on a few TV shows, couple of adverts and repeat elevator play can make for quite a nice payday.
    Well. It definitely could twenty years ago. I wonder what the same story would look like today?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9717
    Can't believe we've not had Smells Like Teen Spirit
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3203
    Cirrus said:
    Country Feedback by REM.

Trude said:

Imagine being Toploader. The only song you're known for is a cover, and you probably earned sod all from it. 
    Joe definitely made a couple of million from that cover, I know it funded him for at least a decade. A shared acquaintance told me once that the record company rang him up to apologise as they had somehow omitted half a million in royalties and were worried that he’d noticed (Joe hadn’t). Goes to show that a track on a few TV shows, couple of adverts and repeat elevator play can make for quite a nice payday.
    Well. It definitely could twenty years ago. I wonder what the same story would look like today?
    Probably about three quid if streaming is relied upon. ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12366
    Country Feedback by REM.

Trude said:

I was going to say country feedback, one of  my favourite songs. 
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Some of the songs mentioned simply don’t have a chorus to speak of (such as Country Feeback which I love) so that’s cheating! 

First one came to my mind was Creep by Radiohead
  • Dreams by Fleetwood Mac. 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10410
    All the songs that use the same pattern throughout would have the same chords in the chorus and verse ... I'm thinking 

With or Without you
    Wagon Wheel 
    Tennessee Whisky 
    Pink Lemonade 
    500 miles 
    High & Dry 

That kinda stuff 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3248
    Trude said:

Everyone seems to forget about 'Achilles Heel' which is a far superior tune.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11756
    Trude said:

Everyone seems to forget about 'Achilles Heel' which is a far superior tune.
    Wis, quite right.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6491
    Kurtis said:
    Lots of songs do it, but for me it is a huge no-no.
    Songs need the dynamic shift of some kind of change between the verses and chorus.
    You can definitely still create a shift using different instruments, effects, vocal melody etc. 
    True…I suppose I am thinking of songs that don’t, eg Born In The USA (and I know some people love that song..)

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9717
    I guess like Rebel Rebel (gawd I detest that song, probably for that reason in fairness)
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • SupportactSupportact Frets: 955
    Sweet Jane comes to mind. Come to think of it probably quite a few Lou Reed songs. 
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5630
    Little Feat - Spanish Moon, and anything Motown.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• GassageGassage Frets: 30922
    Sunday Bloody Sunday
    Life's What You Make It
    Living in Another World

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• PjonPjon Frets: 313
    Trude said:
    uksaint7 said:
    Dancing in the Moonlight by Toploader. Used to play it in a cover duo, terrible song.
    Agreed, absolutely hateful song. Or rather an absolutely hateful cover of a mediocre song. 

It's interesting how the opinion of a song is so bound up with where the listener heard it or where they were in their lives. I love Dancing in the Moonlight, not because it's a good song but because I was having a really good time when it was released, so I associate the song with being with a new girlfriend, enjoying life, spring/summer of a nice year.

My wife laughs at me for liking a particular Bucks Fizz song. That has absolutely nothing to do with musical taste, and everything to do with being a young teenaged boy when it was released and really fancying one of the group! :D 

Anyway, back to this odd discussion. :D 

• Trude said:

It makes it even worse to know they actually made money from inflicting that garbage on us all.
    My youtube music channel is here My youtube aviation channel is here
  • TrudeTrude Frets: 914
    I think about 90% of my hatred for that Toploader song is a direct result of the annoying cod American accent he puts on.

The other 10% is still enough to condemn it forever, mind...
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3965
    mrkb said:
    Laid - James
    And "Sit Down" as well.
    And Sometimes…
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7326

Trude said:

It makes it even worse to know they actually made money from inflicting that garbage on us all.
    It doesn't make you feel warm and bright then?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4162
    The only true test is “ can you play the song using a looper the whole way through “ 
      With or without you would work  but a lot mentioned wouldn’t . Sweet home Alabama has the verse with , in Birmingham they loved the governor” which deviates ever so slightly .

there are quite a few songs like this but as mentioned their lack of dynamics can make them very dull . Someone mentioned Flowers by miley Cyrus  which sounds really good for saying it’s pretty similar all the way through . I’m sure there is some slight differentation from the verse & chorus though . 

Saying that , a lot of 80s electronic new wave stuff can sound quite good by using different synth sounds & arpeggios for different parts