Embellishments on an Acoustic.

What's Hot
Anybody do them? If so,what and how?
Partly inspired somebody asking about bends on another forum,which I don't really do myself as I'm not a great fan of the sound and have always wondered 'Why not just play the note you are looking to play instead?' But I am a simpleton/simple player ( delete as appropriate.)

Away you go,and happy new guitar playing or flailing year.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3251
    It's just music innit? Expression: bends, slides, legato, vibrato, etc...it's all in the toolbox.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    edited January 5
    cos some choons require a bendette or three  - especially blooze/rag picking

when/if all notes are played, without any feel/vibrato/bend/slide  it sounds so so sterile so dull, so boring..  Its part of the personification, its what make your playing,  you.  When to, and when not to

also personally,   I play on acoustic, what I play on electric (with a few exceptions) so any choon that requres a "twiddly bit" on leccy, gets one on acoustic.
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • bluecatbluecat Frets: 578
    I totally agree with Bertie.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12371
    That's for fancy folks.  Just bash chords as hard as you can and swear at the thing occasionally.  That's what acoustics are for - and if you're fingers don't bleed you didn't do it right.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5453
    I am not a bender. Not at all. Don't get me wrong, bending is a great technique on electric and is sometimes good on acoustic. But its just not what I like to do.

(Most acoustic players would be better if they bent one quarter as many notes. There are many other things which work better on acoustic,)

As for other embellishments ... I do way too many of them. Hamer-ons, pull-offs, trills and more trills ... I overdo it. But I'm working on being more selective with it, and also with playing more long notes and more rests. Give me another 50 years and I'll get the hang of this instrument. Really!

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27043
    edited January 5
    I don't like more than a half-a-fret bend on acoustic. Never feels good, rarely sounds good and I don't really want to sound like Gilmour these days anyway
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1853
    edited January 5
    I've never really felt the urge to bend the note when hammer ons,pull offs and slides do the trick for me. Mostly though,strings are too expensive for me to replace.
  • When playing acoustics I do the odd very slight bend sometimes on the bass strings to give things a bit of expression, but mostly it's hammer ons and pull offs whch do that for me, where of course you do sometimes bend it a little bit to pluck or sustain it  it as you come off or on the string, but usually no more than that. To be fair, my electric playing is mostly like that too.
    My youtube music channel is here My youtube aviation channel is here
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2412
    I don't think I ever bend on acoustic. There are other embellishments that only work on acoustic, like percussive flicks with the nail. I probably over-use those.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2768
    The thumb slap or wha5ever yo7 call it on the low 3 strings, on the beat to exaggerate the next syncopated beat

there must be a real name for that

but other than that I really don’t get all the percussive acoustic stuff as a norm, although that Newton Faulkner chap is very melodic with it
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1679
    I love the little bends Elliott does on this:

edited January 5
    rarely sounds good
    you're playing the wrong music

• Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1939
    Does a 'ban the bomb' sticker or 'keep music live' sticker count?

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Devil#20 said:
    Does a 'ban the bomb' sticker or 'keep music live' sticker count?

only if there's a big yellow smily in between
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27043
    bertie said:
    rarely sounds good
    you're playing the wrong music

No! I'm playing the music with little to no bends in it. It's the good stuff!! 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Surely Shirley the bendy stuff can be saved for electrics and we want our acoustics to play the real earthy, unpolluted and clear sounds that they are meant to play? That's the way I like an acoustic to be played. Understated,but real and untainted by unnecessary effects that overwhelm the actual instrument? Or at least when good players play it rather than those of us who sound like we are castrating cats!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 5
    Surely Shirley the bendy stuff can be saved for electrics and we want our acoustics to play the real earthy, unpolluted and clear sounds that they are meant to play? That's the way I like an acoustic to be played. Understated,but real and untainted by unnecessary effects that overwhelm the actual instrument? Or at least when good players play it rather than those of us who sound like we are castrating cats!

so you're not into bluesy rag, woody man, tommy emanuel, steffan grossman ry cooder, all the old guard Big Bill Broonzy, Mance Liscombe, Rev Gary, Mississippi John and all the others ???  

and you never pick up an acoustic and play zz top or zep or anything else other an "tunes for acoustic" ?

my kryptonite is the hey nonny super accurate celtic folky open tuning stuff I cant get my ears around........... dire sounding IMHO
    bertie said:

so you're not into bluesy rag, woody man, tommy emanuel, steffan grossman ry cooder, all the old guard Big Bill Broonzy, Mance Liscombe, Rev Gary, Mississippi John and all the others ???  

and you never pick up an acoustic and play zz top or zep or anything else other an "tunes for acoustic" ?

my kryptonite is the hey nonny super accurate celtic folky open tuning stuff I cant get my ears around........... dire sounding IMHO
    I just pick up and strum to be honest Bertie. I can play bits of this and bits of that but my kryptonite is simply needing to play with others to start putting my pieces together. My mind wanders towards more understanding of the theoretical reasons before I feel I can start playing a bit more unhindered. I could probably do that on an electric quicker but just prefer the acoustic instrument instead. I am desperately trying to keep the quest for tone Wolves at the door but my budget instruments could possibly be hindering me and forcing me to open that door!
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1369
    edited January 5
    Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart was held in high regard for his use of Embellishment.

It was perfectly normal and acceptable, during his life, for Embellishments of any piece of music to be spontaneously added when played live, just as anyone of us might, for instance, spontaneously add some improvisation whilst playing guitar solo.

Maybe make a start by reading Dorian Bandy's learned text, which it available online at Cambridge University Press for anyone to read, which is recent and dates from 2022. This publication has the title   :  "Thema da Capo : Another Look at Mozart's Embellishments".  There are multiple hyper links to pieces of music, which demonstrate many of the differing forms of Embellishment.     

edited January 5
    @guitarjack66 ;;;;; -  gotcha   1

Im just a neanderthal  "pick up and play"  been like it for 50 years, cant change now !! - what ever it is, I'll grab the parlor and get going...........and most of the time not all the way through