Embellishments on an Acoustic.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• BillDLBillDL Frets: 7255
    I've heard that the occasional sus4 embellishment sounds quite nice on an acoustic.  I must try this some time  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 652
    I'm probably use more hammer ons/pull offs and slides than bends on acoustic, but bends/vibrato too. I might, for example, bend the note a bit before pulling off. 

It's really the embellishments that make it interesting imo. 
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2630
    edited January 5
    DannyP said:
    I love the little bends Elliott does on this:

Good tune. I play it all the time.  (Elliott is pretty much why I play.) I think it’s just that one bend that kicks off the one phrase, yeah?  Pretty much the same bend as that one phrase on “Wish you were here”?

As for op, on an acoustic I mainly stick with hammer-ons, pull-offs (like with the pinky on an established chord shape), an emphasized bass note or notes (aka Travis picking), a walk-down (like a G—D/F#—F—C/G), a voice lead hopefully involving a weird unexpected chord, harmonics, stuff like that.
  • SoupmanSoupman Frets: 233
    I don't know how anyone after playing for a few years does NOT develop hammer-ons and the odd half tone bend.
     (I have found Newtone Heritage low tension round core strings facilitate easier bending).

There's a guy I know who has been playing for many years (he's 81) & someone mentioned hammer-ons. He didn't know what they were, yet uses them all the time!
     ;) 

• StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2412
    I don't really think of hammer-ons or pull-offs as embellishments. Aren't they a pretty basic part of core technique on any guitar? (In my case they also help to cover up the fact that I'm shite at alternate picking.)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3251
    Stuckfast said:
    I don't really think of hammer-ons or pull-offs as embellishments. Aren't they a pretty basic part of core technique on any guitar? (In my case they also help to cover up the fact that I'm shite at alternate picking.)
    That was bugging me too...to me, embellishments (or ornaments) mean:
    • trills/mordents/turns
    • grace notes
    • and other less formal varieties of the above
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    Soupman said:
    I don't know how anyone after playing for a few years does NOT develop hammer-ons and the odd half tone bend.
     (I have found Newtone Heritage low tension round core strings facilitate easier bending).

There's a guy I know who has been playing for many years (he's 81) & someone mentioned hammer-ons. He didn't know what they were, yet uses them all the time!
     ;) 

not these per se - but there's a lot of stuff  "I do"  that I dont know what the official terminology is,  and vice versa,  people say - "do this" or "can you do that"   Ive no idea what it is,   but  when I research it,  I find Im already doing these things by 50 years of natural progression just learning choons

if that makes sense
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.