David Soul

What's Hot
DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3905
Gutted to hear of his passing. I was blessed to see him on stage in a play a number of years ago. RIP Hutch.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• OffsetOffset Frets: 11705
    edited January 5
    Just read the news.  Amongst his other achievements, he starred (in my humble opinion) in the best adaptation of a Stephen King horror novel ever made - 1979's 'Salem's Lot.

RIP.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1338
    It probably won't mean much to the younger generation - but back in '77 he was just about as famous as you could be anywhere in the world.
    Starsky and Hutch was HUGE.
    I remember pleading with my parents to let me stay up till 9.30pm (?) to watch it on BBC1 on Saturday nights.
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • matt_seftonmatt_sefton Frets: 718
    Damn. I was in the Starsky and Hutch Appreciation Fan Club. Always wanted to be Starsky though. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    I loved a bit of Starsky and Hutch. My sister had David's records. So, big figure in my adolescence and of course many acting roles since. 
    RIP. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30922
    Nasty Officer John Davis.

An acolyte of the dastardly Lt Briggs.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4163
    When I was 8 to 10 starsky & hutch was the biggest show around  & then David had those big hits , don’t give up on us and Silver lady  . Very sad to lose him . Another total legend gone 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22862
    My brother's just reminded me that Mr Soul came to FrightFest once to promote a film he was in, and we all signed a birthday card for him.  I wonder if he kept it?

RIP
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18773
    Starsky & Hutch was a huge, groundbreaking TV show & covered some very edgy subjects at the time.  He was a genuinely good actor & singer & had a great sense of humour, often at his own expense. 
    Almost as good a shot as Harry Callahan too  ;)
    A very likeable bloke, RIP
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22862
    Starsky & Hutch was a huge, groundbreaking TV show & covered some very edgy subjects at the time.  
    Good theme tune, too.  Both of them, actually.
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4917
    "Go, Starsk!" is what I always say to Our Maud when she gets behind the wheel... been saying that for 45 years.

He was (to us) the absolute definition of "cool" in the late 70's.

RIP, and thoughts with his loved ones.

• Garold86Garold86 Frets: 123
    Why were the bad guys chasing Starsky and Hutch in the opening credits? And why did they then follow them into the parking lot, only to be arrested?

RIP David.
  • stufisherstufisher Frets: 845
    Salem's Lot
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2764
    Wow, we were only talking about him last night  -  he had been in my daughters restaurant last year, and we were there last night having a meal and it came up.  It came up because I told my wife that Leslie Manville was on the table next to us (she wants it turned out!)

RIP 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14263
    tFB Trader
    Not sure when S&H first hit the UK screens on a Sat night - With Huggy Bear - But that car was a big moment for me as a late teenager who had just passed his test - Maybe I remember that more than any other S&H programmes - Plus in order to catch any gangster S&H had to go to Huggy Bears bar and he'd tell them about some dude who was holding out in warehouse on the edge of time 

I'd hate to see how bad S&H is now, but in the late 70's it was big news

I think I even player Silver Lady in a band once, back in/around 78/79

So kind of another child hood memory gone - RIP Hutch
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 642
    Starsky & Hutch was a huge, groundbreaking TV show & covered some very edgy subjects at the time.  He was a genuinely good actor & singer & had a great sense of humour, often at his own expense. 
    I always thought the rumour was he couldn't sing at all and they had to spend ages in the studio cutting stuff to get anything worthwhile? 

RIP though. 
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    major, major part of mid 70s TV - S&H was massive.  and you're right,  a "good bloke"  to boot
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5167
    I loved Car keys & Clutch as a boy….RIP Clutch 
  • maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 559
    Another Legend gone . . . sad news RIP
    Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

• hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4163
    Kurtis said:
    I always thought the rumour was he couldn't sing at all and they had to spend ages in the studio cutting stuff to get anything worthwhile? 

RIP though. 
    I think he started off as a singer and in a folk band , he opened for some big bands in the day like Alice cooper . He also had fame for a while as a masked singer before he got famous  but when he revealed who he was people lost interest 
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 642
    Kurtis said:

RIP though. 
    I think he started off as a singer and in a folk band , he opened for some big bands in the day like Alice cooper . He also had fame for a while as a masked singer before he got famous  but when he revealed who he was people lost interest 
    Maybe I'm thinking of someone else then. Sure I heard that about DS.