David Soul

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• StormshadowGuitarsStormshadowGuitars Frets: 1218
    tFB Trader
    Offset said:
    Just read the news.  Amongst his other achievements, he starred (in my humble opinion) in the best adaptation of a Stephen King horror novel ever made - 1979's 'Salem's Lot.

RIP.
    I remember this film from school, the last day of term in the juniors ( 10 years old ) when the Ferguson was wheeled into the classroom, we watched that, then Jaws :) You'd never get away with that now, the internet would be in meltdown!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4163
    Here we go ,off BBC 

Before he found fame as an actor, Soul started his professional career as a folk singer, warming up audiences for stars like Frank Zappa, the Byrds, and the Lovin' Spoonful. 

He picked up an interest in music as a teenager in Mexico, where his father was a professor at a college for young diplomats.

There, he was befriended by a group of radical students who gave him a guitar and taught him the indigenous songs of Mexico.

Upon his return to the US, he found some success playing those songs around Minneapolis - but it was only when he donned a mask and hid his face that his career really took off.

As "The Covered Man", he was signed by the William Morris Agency and appeared on the TV talk show circuit, including multiple appearances on the highly rated Merv Griffin show.

But when he decided to lose the mask and reveal himself, bookings dwindled and he turned to acting instead.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18776
    Kurtis said:
    Starsky & Hutch was a huge, groundbreaking TV show & covered some very edgy subjects at the time.  He was a genuinely good actor & singer & had a great sense of humour, often at his own expense. 
    Almost as good a shot as Harry Callahan too  ;)
    A very likeable bloke, RIP
    I always thought the rumour was he couldn't sing at all and they had to spend ages in the studio cutting stuff to get anything worthwhile? 

RIP though. 
    Dunno, I'm not exactly a fan boi, just expressed an appreciation of his talents.
    Possibly not an impartial site, but I'd say you don't usually get to go out & do multiple tours if you can't sing  ;)
    https://www.davidsoul.com/discography/
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3010
    When I was 8 to 10 starsky & hutch was the biggest show around  & then David had those big hits , don’t give up on us and Silver lady  . Very sad to lose him . Another total legend gone 
    Yep, loved those tunes (although it was very uncool to say so at the time). Starsky and Hutch was bloody brilliant and I was one of many, many kids of that time wanting to stay up to watch it, as already commented on here

RIP David Soul 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • matt_seftonmatt_sefton Frets: 718
    A bit morbid under the circumstances but I went to the funeral of a close friend of my wife’s last year and as the crem service ended and her coffin started to move “behind the scenes” Silver Lady started playing really loudly. I wasn’t expecting it and it was extremely difficult for me to keep a straight face. I found out later she was a massive David Soul fan. 
    I like to think Starsky would have wanted me to laugh.
  • FledermausFledermaus Frets: 180
    Oh my….
     I LOVED Starsky and Hutch…… I did prefer Starsky but my mate loved David.
    And Salems Lot….. oh I wonder how that would stand up now? I’m not sure I would want to watch it again in case it’s not as good anymore? 
    RIP
  • stufisherstufisher Frets: 845
    Apologies @Offset ; ... just noticed that my previous comment only said Salem's Lot ... and that you'd already mentioned it.

It still scares the keech oot o me now ... c.40 years on ... yeah, it's dated in terms of fashion and imagery but Stephen King-written and James Mason-starring so David Soul must have been in demand.

S&H had mainstream clout and then developed cult status later ... so his fame was extended.

RIP
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3905
    Philly_Q said:
    Starsky & Hutch was a huge, groundbreaking TV show & covered some very edgy subjects at the time.  
    Good theme tune, too.  Both of them, actually.
    My favourite was the original, more moody one as opposed to the newer funky one. I loved the end tune too. I don’t know why but it makes me a bit sad when I hear it now.
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 645
    Kurtis said:
    Starsky & Hutch was a huge, groundbreaking TV show & covered some very edgy subjects at the time.  He was a genuinely good actor & singer & had a great sense of humour, often at his own expense. 
    Almost as good a shot as Harry Callahan too  ;)
    A very likeable bloke, RIP
    I always thought the rumour was he couldn't sing at all and they had to spend ages in the studio cutting stuff to get anything worthwhile? 

RIP though. 
    Dunno, I'm not exactly a fan boi, just expressed an appreciation of his talents.
    Possibly not an impartial site, but I'd say you don't usually get to go out & do multiple tours if you can't sing  ;)
    https://www.davidsoul.com/discography/
    Yep, my bad, must be thinking of someone else.

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16295
    Probably not how he would most want to be remembered but David obviously had a sense of humour. 

https://youtu.be/NiduNJG-Ltk?si=GM5dCz9FXvAV0m4a
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • edited January 7
    Sad to hear he is gone, Starsky and Hutch was cool and although it doesn't seem so now, was quite edgy at the time, with a black police boss, black streetwise contact and both characters not afraid to beat up and shoot perps on a regular basis - hence its BBC TV slot of 9.30 pm after the news. Fab dark and edgy Lalo Schifren soundtrack and title tune for the first season too.

Fun fact: When you see David Soul jump onto the car roof in that title sequence for the first series and land on his behind, he actually injured himself quite badly and couldn't film for a while.
    My youtube music channel is here My youtube aviation channel is here
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24316
    bertie said:
    major, major part of mid 70s TV - S&H was massive.  and you're right,  a "good bloke"  to boot
    Not that good, according to Wikipedia...  "Soul became stepfather to Carnel-Sherman's two children with Bobby Sherman. Soul was ordered to attend therapy classes for alcoholism and anger management after attacking her when she was seven months pregnant with his child."
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14434
    edited January 8
    Now may be the time to honour DS by finally removing the seal from my Jerry Springer - The Opera DVD.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    Now may be the time to honour DS by finally removing the seal from my Jerry Springer - The Musical DVD.
    I thought he was in that but couldn't see it on the DS Wikipedia. Not sure the BBC have ever repeated it, I remember being rather confused by it so perhaps it's due another watch.  
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14434
    I doubt that any Uk terrestrial television channel has ever broadcast JS:TO. Soul played Springer in a stage production and the TV movie.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    I doubt that any Uk terrestrial television channel has ever broadcast JS:TO. Soul played Springer in a stage production and the TV movie.
    BBC2 in 2005 (55,000 complaints!). I can’t remember if it was Soul in it or not.