Don't fly on a 737-MAX

What's Hot
1234568»

Comments

• HaychHaych Frets: 5630
    I worked very briefly in aviation and what amazes me is that there is no lifespan on aircraft parts. 

At the end of its service life an aircraft can be dismantled and the parts resold to other operators. 

There is usually an inspection and certification process, and traceability is a priority. But it’s kind of scary that an almost brand new aircraft could have parts from a 40+ year old plane used when it needs repair!

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10408
    Haych said:
    I worked very briefly in aviation and what amazes me is that there is no lifespan on aircraft parts. 

At the end of its service life an aircraft can be dismantled and the parts resold to other operators. 

There is usually an inspection and certification process, and traceability is a priority. But it’s kind of scary that an almost brand new aircraft could have parts from a 40+ year old plane used when it needs repair!
    I've driven past a massive plane scrap yard in the desert in California. I've never seen anything like it, just hundreds of planes standing there in the desert baking in the sun. As an aviation toilet can fetch 40K though I'm not surprised. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6390
    Haych said:
    Wowsers!  I've read too many David Baldacci and John Grisham novels and my mind is doing somersaults!
    Quite. A very convenient suicide (for Boeing & FAA)

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • yockyyocky Frets: 809

I did Aero Eng at uni, and it still fills me with wonder how they fly.
    That's comforting....
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • snowblindsnowblind Frets: 233
    I always remember flying to the US on Virgin just after they got started as a business. Branson bought a couple of second hand 747s which were already something like 20 years old. We're sat on the deck at Heathrow and the pilot comes on to say there will be a short delay while we drill a broken component out of the cockpit. Shortly after some mechanic type in overalls comes strolling down the centre aisle with drill in hand. 

All so reassuring. 
    Old, overweight and badly maintained. Unlike my amps which are just old and overweight.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 2466
    proper planes in those days, you could fix the whole thing with an imperial socket set and some elbow grease 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1832
    Was that the inaugural press junket to Miami? That was a total clusterfuck jazz band and all.
  • snowblindsnowblind Frets: 233
    Brio said:
    Was that the inaugural press junket to Miami? That was a total clusterfuck jazz band and all.
    Luckily no. Into New York. We were only a couple of hours late in the end and nothing else fell off on the way over (that we knew about). 
    Old, overweight and badly maintained. Unlike my amps which are just old and overweight.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10408
    snowblind said:
    I always remember flying to the US on Virgin just after they got started as a business. Branson bought a couple of second hand 747s which were already something like 20 years old. We're sat on the deck at Heathrow and the pilot comes on to say there will be a short delay while we drill a broken component out of the cockpit. Shortly after some mechanic type in overalls comes strolling down the centre aisle with drill in hand. 

All so reassuring. 
    I flew on one of BA's oldest  747's in 2019 ... the plane had ashtrays. Smoking was banned in the late nineties so nobody had used them for 20 odd years. The plane itself was 30 years old at least I think. 

For long haul over the ocean I always felt safer on a 4 engined 747. Fantastic safety record
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72342
    Danny1969 said:

For long haul over the ocean I always felt safer on a 4 engined 747. Fantastic safety record
    The modern ETOPS certified twins are astoundingly reliable - as far as I know, no modern airliner has ever had a dual engine failure that wasn't caused by some other fault or error (mostly fuel-related), rather than the engines.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6491
    I don’t understand how aeroplanes ever crash, seeing as they are flown along wires these days.

or something.

I guess sometimes the wire breaks and they fall down?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom