Don't fly on a 737-MAX

What's Hot

Comments

• TanninTannin Frets: 5449
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1240
    NelsonP said:
    Engines going boom aren't unique to Boeing, although they do seem to be having a rough time with their aircraft making headlines lately.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72341
    edited January 21
    NelsonP said:
    That looks scary - especially when it's at night - but is actually not that bad. It apparently was an uncontained engine failure, which is still quite serious, but it doesn't have major safety implications for the design or build quality of the airframe like the 737MAX incidents and accidents have.

747s are safe. It probably wouldn't even have made the news at the moment if it wasn't a Boeing aircraft.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    ^ The interesting thing - from a psychology-of-journalists point of view - is that all the reports trumpeted "Boeing" in the headline (which is not really relevant to the fault) and not even in the body text did anyone actually mention the one name which IS relevant - that of the engine manufacturer. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26997
    Yeah well worth noting that Boeing and airbus don’t make engines. And unless this one was very new it’s likely a maintenance issue or a manufacturing defect. But only one engine out of 4 going down is generally no real issue safety wise.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1240
    "Unplanned" removal, installation inspection procedure at Boeing - Leeham News and Analysis

Insider saying that the door plug had to be opened during production to replace a damaged door seal, but the official build records show the door was never opened, so no further check was created to ensure the work had been completed correctly.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    And today a wheel fell off. Granted this was a 757 so *definitely* a maintenance issue rather than manufacturing, but hilariously bad timing for Boeing... 

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2024/jan/24/delta-air-lines-plane-nose-wheel-falls-off
  • DuploLicksDuploLicks Frets: 257
    There are a many videos on the Alaska flight incident but I quite like the thorough walk-through that Mentour Pilot does on in this video.

Mentour Pilot is always good value.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72341
    And today a wheel fell off. Granted this was a 757 so *definitely* a maintenance issue rather than manufacturing, but hilariously bad timing for Boeing...
    Sounds like someone forgot to tighten the wheel nuts.

Ironic considering the 757 is the aircraft Boeing *really* need to reintroduce instead of the Max. (If they don’t have time for a brand new design.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Lovely aircraft, the 757, but very poor economics by modern standards. Just giving it new engines wouldn't cut the mustard, Boeing would have had to start from scratch with an all-new model but they didn't want to spend the money.  (Haven't we heard this song before?) So they ended up dong a cheapskate, corner-cutting revamp of the 73 and it might just have cost them the company. Airlines are still ordering 737s but the two main sales drivers are big price discounts and long, long waits for A320/321 deliveries because Airbus have sold out their entire production for many years ahead.

The new 777, when it finally, finally arrives, absolutely must succeed or Boeing is rooted. They won't go out of business because the US government will hand them free lunches (especially via military contracts) but  they may end up a mere shadow of the mighty company that was.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18760
    edited March 11
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5630
    Wowsers!  I've read too many David Baldacci and John Grisham novels and my mind is doing somersaults!

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• LitterickLitterick Frets: 632
    A 787 Dreamliner flying from Sydney to Auckland suddenly lost altitude, sending passengers into the ceiling. The pilot later told one passenger,  'I lost my instrumentation briefly and then it just came back all of a sudden'.

Always keep your seatbelt buckled.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24306
    I love how the press seem to wilfully report minor events in aviation with the most hyperbole.  They manage to get most technical aspects of other stories correct but when it comes to planes, they appear to lose the ability to Google or to ask actual pilots for their opinions.

Publishing "AIRLINER PLUMMETS FROM SKY!!  PASSENGERS FEAR FOR THEIR LIVES!!  PILOT SAYS "I DON'T KNOW WHAT HAPPENED!!" gets more clicks than "Airliner hits air pocket, several passengers get minor injuries".
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    Yeah, a drop due to turbulence isn't particularly rare and certainly not Boeing-specific. Though the instruments all blacking out for a second might be a concern, obviously. 

Main point there is a big +1 to keeping your seatbelt on!! 
    edited March 12
    ^ But in this case it wasn't an air pocket. And the injuries were not "minor". People were thrown so hard that they broke the roof panels! 50 people required medical treatment, 13 were taken to hospital, one is very seriously injured. 

Authorities in Chile and New Zealand are investigating and will no doubt report the result. But it seems perfectly clear that it wasn't turbulence (a so-called "air pocket") but rather a fault with the control system.

------------------------------------------
    Edit: But of course your general point is a fair one, even though in this instance it happens to be incorrect. And once a particular focus  is brought to their attention (an aircraft type, a make, a technical feature like fly-by-wire or sidesticks, or most of all an airline) they hammer relentlessly at it, reporting any minor semi-routine incident at Panic Factor 9. Much of the time these mainstream press reports are written by general-duties journalists who haven't got a bloody clue about aviation. Just last month I noticed a breathless report in some major newspaper or other talking about "wing flaps". Oh, FFS - if you don't even know what flaps are, you should be ringing up head office to get somebody better educated out to write the story.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11876
    When was the last time you hit turbulence and 50 people ended up in hospital?  

Minor event lol, buying a car is a minor event, not a 5 year+ ordeal.  50 people in hospital from a flight with instruments going blank isn't an air pocket.
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4633
    Just think how often we get a dodgy connection on a simple Pedalboard that might get used a dozen times a week in a home environment, now scale that up to 1000s of connections on a plane that is in use 24x7 going through constant G-forces, with massive temperature variances.
    It's surprising they even fly at all.
    I did Aero Eng at uni, and it still fills me with wonder how they fly.