XVEX Box of Rock. Any good.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• GoFishGoFish Frets: 1415
    markj said:
    I’m afraid the pedal was returned today, it just didn’t seem to suit my amp.
    Nice pedal but I can live with out it.

What didn't work for you? I ask because in my mind, a Distrotron is pretty much the perfect low to mid gainer for a smaller tweed.

We're all different and have varied needs. Any new info is good info in my book. 
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • markjmarkj Frets: 914
    GoFish said:
    markj said:
    I’m afraid the pedal was returned today, it just didn’t seem to suit my amp.
    Nice pedal but I can live with out it.

What didn't work for you? I ask because in my mind, a Distrotron is pretty much the perfect low to mid gainer for a smaller tweed.

We're all different and have varied needs. Any new info is good info in my book. 
    Playing my 335 through the pedal and my 5e3, l had the tone on the pedal turned as low as it would go, and the tone control on the guitar turned down to 3, it was just very bright.
    I’ve got a lot better pedals that work with really well with my amp, a Timmy pedal works superbly.
  • jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 755
    Positive feedback only OP!!

To be fair this is the way if goes, I think tweed amps either do or don't work with particular pedals - my limited experience is there's not much middle ground. Timmy has the flexibility to make it work like you say. A Way Huge Red Llama is another great option that might not have crossed your path yet. Turned up it's fuzzy and maybe a bit fizzy, but it's fantastic at adding a bit of hair to a tweed!
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1415
    Well I never. A 335 and an 5e3 being too bright! Ta, that's valuable info about compatibility.
    I found it to be teeth grindingly harsh and bright with a solid state, but that a different thing entirely.

As @jellybelly said, a Timmy is a great little box. Probably much closer tonally to the amp as well. Glad you have a very effective solution :)
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • markjmarkj Frets: 914
    I found the Catalinbread DLS was one of the best MIAB pedals that worked with the 5e3.
  • Lawrence Petross Designs may be worth a look. I bought a Seventy 4 recently and it's fantastic. No idea how they will interact with 5e3s though. 

Here is the Sixty 8 compared to a Box of Rock. Pretty similar at some settings:

• oh_pollooh_pollo Frets: 845

• slackerslacker Frets: 2246
    Try a king of tone or blues breakers type pedal.
  • LittlejonnyLittlejonny Frets: 134
    Of the MIABs I’ve tried…the Box of Rock and the Distortron are nice but ‘woofy’ so very amp dependent I think. I much preferred the Catalinbread DLS Mk3 (I haven’t tried Mk 1 or 2) through my Hot Rod Deluxe. I prefer Skreddy Major (actually an Animals Pedals version) to both, although I still miss the DLS for what it did. What it didn’t do was clean up well IMO.
  • PetepassionPetepassion Frets: 854
    I tried some pedals into my 5e3 this morning and found the Lightspeed sounded great, better than my Timmy and BOR.
    But obviously it depends on how/what you’re playing as to what drive pedal works best 
    ‘It is no measure of good health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society’
  • LittlejonnyLittlejonny Frets: 134
    By the way … I’ve just started using Neural Amp modeller. Great for trying out pedals. 
  • CarbonCopyCarbonCopy Frets: 208
    Perhaps you would have had more luck with the ZVEX Box or Rock rather than the XVEX!

I have one and I've never found it to be particularly bright. Others say it's bassy, but I think that may be because it doesn't roll off any bass frequencies unlike a lot of other pedals...which makes it great as a bass overdrive for a Jack Bruce type sound when I was in a band playing a lot of Cream songs. I've also used it live with an acoustic too s straight into the PA for a solo boost, either just the boost side or sometimes with a bit of overdrive.