Plant based chips?

What's Hot

Comments

• lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3373
    edited January 9
    elstoof said:
    Is a plate of mashed potato still plant based after pouring bisto over it
    Gammon was sharing the hell out of a photo ot plant based mash recently, then looking all confused about the marg and milk. Morons

And of course, bisto has been veggie for decades
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12028
    edited January 9
    Emp_Fab said:

But you also don't call chips non-plant-based because you can't cook them without the veg element!

Cooking bacon in dripping or veg oil - it's still bacon, it's still non-plant-based.

Cooking chips in dripping or veg oil - they're still chips and the chips are still plant-based!

It's not rocket surgery!

Bacon is the CUT of meat, Bacon is not strictly the final product.

Chips is the final product.  Before you cook it, it is the potato, albeit cut up into size, how it is cooked determines the final product and what you cook it with and in.

English is my 3rd language, and I understand that distinction.  Evidently, you do not. 

As for rocket science (not surgery....as the English saying goes) lol..I'll stop right here, perhaps there is an issue of understanding of the terminology in English here after all.

Since Chips can be cooked in either animal fat or vegetable fat.  Plant-based Chips tells the customer what it is cooked in.  It is simply more information into the cooking process and ingredients.  If you don't care about his kind of thing then you don't care.  I don't personally but those that do care, it is important.

I imagine you to be one of those people in Asia, if you tell them you have a nut and seeds allergy, they will go "fine fine, no nuts"...and then proceed to put seamen seeds oil in their cooking.  They will come back and say "there are no nuts in here!"  Just because physically there is no visual clue that there is this ingredient, it doesn't mean it is not in the dish or aborbed in it.  All the while you are going into shock. 

It is a total and complete lack of understanding of both cooking and meaning in language.  

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 2563
    If you cook a pot of beef stew then pick all the chunks of beef out, is what’s left “plant based”?
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29048
    "it's not rocket surgery" is entirely cromulent. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12999
    Yet another thread in which we discover that

1) the real "snowflakes" are meat eaters who get REALLY REALLY ANGRY at the thought of people wanting to know whether food has animal in it or not

2) that Emp Fab can only use words literallyand with zero recourse to context. Its raining cats and dogs here Emp. Should I be worried about them leaving stains on my roof? 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10381
    edited January 9
    elstoof said:
    If you cook a pot of beef stew then pick all the chunks of beef out, is what’s left “plant based”?

I believe @RandallFlagg is our resident stew expert.

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6266
    Sporky said:
    In a literal sense, chips that were fried in animal fat are plant based.

However, they do not conform to the current zeitgeist, which uses the phrase "plant based" in a particular way.

I'm not sure if zeitgeist is quite the right word, but I've not used it in a while and I like it.
    I used zeitgeist intentionally cos I think the term plant based is reflective of a current trend - a sort of hyper marketed veganism. 

as in, imagine some hipster ponce saying in a whiny southern accent - " oh yaah, I'm what you'd call a plant based human, yah, as in only eat corn husks and sniff nettles, that's all I need bro..."

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9969
    elstoof said:
    Nope ;)
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7652
    edited January 9
    This Vegan guitar strap is "100% free of animal parts" and is fashioned to closely resemble snake skin.
    It will go well with my vegetable based fake tiger pelt rug (with vegetable ivory teeth in the realistic sawdust-filled head) on my livingroom floor.
    Snap said:

I used zeitgeist intentionally cos I think the term plant based is reflective of a current trend - a sort of hyper marketed veganism. 

Ah - I'd not spotted you'd used it already.

I'll go back to dipping my plant-based quiche in my jam jar of craft beer. 
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7415
    BillDL said:
    This Vegan guitar strap is "100% free of animal parts" and is fashioned to closely resemble snake skin.
    It will go well with my vegetable based fake tiger pelt rug (with vegetable ivory teeth in the realistic sawdust-filled head) on my livingroom floor.
    That's quite funny. Some people say there's no point in throwing away your leather things because they're already long dead. I'm not sure I understand a vegan wanting to make a new purchase that gives the visual effect of draping a dead snake over their shoulder though.
    I think k you could replace "a vegan" with "anyone" in that sentence and it'd still work. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16915
    BillDL said:

It's about choice  It gives vegan people a choice to wear a style that would normally be a no go for them.  It shows non-vegan people that they also have a choice that doesn't involve animal death.  Just like faux fur became an alternative to real fur, and eventually showed there was no need for the real thing.

However, I will say lots of "vegan leather" products are pretty shit.  I've had a few belts that wore out in a matter of weeks, they just have no flex and don't wear in like good leather will. DM boots are at the better end, but even they wear noticeably differently.  I do have some vegan suede trainers that are great, but they are more comparable to canvas than real suede, but I'm okay with that.

• elstoofelstoof Frets: 2563
    Maybe if it catches on Louis Vuitton will start finally marketing their logo handbags as vegan, seeing as they’re not made from leather
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14003
    elstoof said:

If you remove the beef from a stew all you are left with is roast dinner washing up bowl water and debris salvaged from a dishwasher filter.

Filth

• breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10381
    elstoof said:

If you remove the beef from a stew all you are left with is roast dinner washing up bowl water and debris salvaged from a dishwasher filter.

Filth

So can we conclude it's not plant based then.

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14003
    elstoof said:

Filth

So can we conclude it's not plant based then.

I'll ask my wife she's the one who cooks the slimy gruel

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17855
    tFB Trader
    Describing food as "Plant based" is just a fashionable way of saying "Vegan".

No one would bat an eye if it was described as "Vegan" despite the inaccuracy that the chips are not "Vegan" since they don't eat anything at all. 

Heaven forfend that they use the green V logo as chips are not the letter V nor does the word chip even contain the letter V.

You might therefore insist that every single item on the menu should say. "This is food which a person on a vegan diet can eat without compromising their vegan diet", or you could just accept the current use of "Plant Based" in relation to food stuffs.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I'd like it if all foodstuffs were described via interpretative dance. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17855
    tFB Trader
    Sporky said:
    I'd like it if all foodstuffs were described via interpretative dance. 

Vegan food could be demonstrated via the wobbling of enraged gammony jowls combined with the rhythmic throbbing of a forehead vein.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom