Plant based chips?

What's Hot

Comments

• springheadspringhead Frets: 1625
    “Hello butcher, do you keep dripping?”

”Yes it’s a bastard”. 

Apparently a top joke in 1942. I’m sure it’s relevant here somehow.  
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12999
    Describing food as "Plant based" is just a fashionable way of saying "Vegan".

No one would bat an eye if it was described as "Vegan" despite the inaccuracy that the chips are not "Vegan" since they don't eat anything at all. 

Heaven forfend that they use the green V logo as chips are not the letter V nor does the word chip even contain the letter V.

You might therefore insist that every single item on the menu should say. "This is food which a person on a vegan diet can eat without compromising their vegan diet", or you could just accept the current use of "Plant Based" in relation to food stuffs.

Yeah but why do a reasonable thing like that when you can instead have a good moan on the internet about what other people choose not to eat? 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24614
    Emp_Fab said:

But you also don't call chips non-plant-based because you can't cook them without the veg element!

Cooking bacon in dripping or veg oil - it's still bacon, it's still non-plant-based.

Cooking chips in dripping or veg oil - they're still chips and the chips are still plant-based!

It's not rocket surgery!

Bacon is the CUT of meat, Bacon is not strictly the final product.

Chips is the final product.  Before you cook it, it is the potato, albeit cut up into size, how it is cooked determines the final product and what you cook it with and in.

English is my 3rd language, and I understand that distinction.  Evidently, you do not. 

As for rocket science (not surgery....as the English saying goes) lol..I'll stop right here, perhaps there is an issue of understanding of the terminology in English here after all.

Since Chips can be cooked in either animal fat or vegetable fat.  Plant-based Chips tells the customer what it is cooked in.  It is simply more information into the cooking process and ingredients.  If you don't care about his kind of thing then you don't care.  I don't personally but those that do care, it is important.

I imagine you to be one of those people in Asia, if you tell them you have a nut and seeds allergy, they will go "fine fine, no nuts"...and then proceed to put seamen seeds oil in their cooking.  They will come back and say "there are no nuts in here!"  Just because physically there is no visual clue that there is this ingredient, it doesn't mean it is not in the dish or aborbed in it.  All the while you are going into shock. 

It is a total and complete lack of understanding of both cooking and meaning in language.  

OK, let me put it this way....

Say I acquired several turds from a vegan, rolled them in breadcrumbs and deep-fried them in beef dripping.

Presumably you would be arguing that it would not be accurate for me to describe my creations as "shit-based" ? 

Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • swillerswiller Frets: 1389
    To add a third dimension to back up raymonds obviously correct view.

Chemicals in oil are not plant based.  Hexane is an example of a chemical added to the manufacturing process of vegetable oil.  
    Chemicals are also produced when heating types of oil, just like the chippes use. 
    Chemicals are also used in the potato/chip prep process, whitening, preservatives, msg etc etc
    You cannot grow these chemicals in clumps of horseshit. 

The traditional is of course beef dripping and what i do my fish and chips in. Its also good for conditioning roserwood/ebony fretboards and makes guitars play like , well beef dripping. Great for smellicing a guitar as well.

TLDR
    Its pretty hard to have a 100% plant based chip cos its either chemicals or animal fats are a regular feature of the product, Unless you use avocado oil or olive, something like that, then it makes more sense to call it plant based.

Yours 
    Swilly Ramsden

Dont worry, be silly.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12028
    edited January 9
    ^^^stick on topic, rather than make up another one.  You tried using bacon and that was a wrong example to use, now you want to use shit as an ingredient?

Considering that shit isn’t edible, it will still be inedible no matter what you do to it.  Unlike a potato, it is edible before and after cooking.  (Or some foods that are edible after cooking)

But feel free to call it what you want if you so incline to eat shit covered in breadcrumbs lol 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 9
    I think I'd prefer it to your "seamen seeds oil" to be honest.

I am sticking on topic.  I'm using examples to illustrate that a thing is always "thing-based" no matter what you do to it.  I've given you examples of carrot, bacon and shit and you still refuse to accept basic logic.  You do you and I'll do.... the correct thing.

edited January 9
    Emp_Fab said:
    I think I'd prefer it to your "seamen seeds oil" to be honest.

I am sticking on topic.  I'm using examples to illustrate that a thing is always "thing-based" no matter what you do to it.  I've given you examples of carrot, bacon and shit and you still refuse to accept basic logic.  You do you and I'll do.... the correct thing.
    You still don’t understand that to make chips, require oil….the “plant base” label denotes that no ingredients in the product was made with animal product.  (Contamination excluded).  Particularly in this country, chips are traditionally made with animal fat.  It’s not like Tofu in the far east where traditionally….and people know how it is made btw, it does not contain any animal product.  As the practice of making it, is well widely know.  At least to me anyway! Who have been eating the stuff for decades.

The plant base label does not merely refer to the main ingredient itself being a plant.  Although one can argue that the oil is EQUALLY as important in this instance, just because the potatoe is larger by volume in the final product.  Without oil, there is no chips happening at all.

Yet your brain cannot shift from the idea that there is more than 1 ingredient to making Chips…which is different to potato.  Without the oil, you do not have chips.  Potato does not equal chips.  Potato can be made into a lot of products other than chips.  

Potato is 1 thing.  

Chip is another thing.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7415
    My favourite chips are the ones that were sold in my high school social area between September 2000 and July 2001. I don’t know who was making them but that was a great year. I wish they’d stuck around.
    >The plant base label does not merely refer to the main ingredient itself being a plant.

So the words "plant based" are some kind of food industry term that doesn't actually mean "plant based" in plain English?  Genuine question. 

• SporkySporky Frets: 29046
    Are people really still struggling with "plant based" having a meaning beyond the literal? 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16915
    Emp_Fab said:
    >The plant base label does not merely refer to the main ingredient itself being a plant.

So the words "plant based" are some kind of food industry term that doesn't actually mean "plant based" in plain English?  Genuine question. 

It refers to all ingredients in the product, or what's the point?

But this is all reminding me of the Double Meat Medley episode of Buffy.
    Well if we're going down that road, what's the point of language at all?  What kind of world do we want to live in?  One where words sometimes mean what they mean and sometimes don't?

Words describe things.  If the words you are using do not easily convey what you are trying to say, you're not using the right words.  Pick more appropriate words.

It's not brain science.

edited January 10
    You seem to have some grasp of the English language.  Why are you surprised it isn't always literal?

Believe me, I wish it was!

This is clearly not the worst example of that, and actually helpful to those that care
    edited January 10
    You're right though Emp.  I'm going to go on a food labeling crusade with you!   Can I suggest we start with vegetarians instead.  

Before today I was convinced the Vegetarian label meant "suitable for a Vegetarian diet", but maybe it should only be used for foods made entirely from vegetables.  This may confuse the Vegans, but no-one likes them anyway!

I will meet you down the cheese aisle with my banner demanding they rename Vegetarian Cheese as "Cow's milk cheese produced by curdling the milk with a Rennet substitute that did not originate in the stomach of a ruminate mammal"

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9969
    I notice in another thread you have just used the phrase  "im just pulling your leg", I'd taken that to mean you were teasing somebody in good humour, but now we are all to speak with only literal terms, does that mean you have physically pulled on this person's leg?
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 10
    Emp_Fab said:
    Well if we're going down that road, what's the point of language at all?  What kind of world do we want to live in?  One where words sometimes mean what they mean and sometimes don't?

Words describe things.  If the words you are using do not easily convey what you are trying to say, you're not using the right words.  Pick more appropriate words.

It's not brain science.
    When you speak a few languages as I do, you learn to read between the lines.  English is not immune to the idiosyncracies of other languages.  The French word for potatoes translates to ground apple.  The word for weather in Chinese means Sky Air, what does that even mean?!  The Japanese word for tuna is chicken of the sea.

The term plant based is as much as a marketing term as it is an English term to describe the product.  It is not trying to say a potato is a plant based produce, it is saying the chips are a plant-based product.  Chips require processing, chips are not naturally occurring.  In producing chips, in making chips, an ingredient has to be added.  That is the oil.  It is a chemical reaction, in this chemical reaction, one of the key ingredients used is traditionally an animal product.  In a Plant Based product, it is not.

It is not saying the potato is plant based - Natural.

It is saying the Chips are plant based - Processed.
    I've just popped in the office to pick up a new headset... I think this is really gonna upset Emp :D 

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_Fab said:

It's not brain science.

My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5113
    Emp_Fab said:

It's not brain science.

A traditional poor-quality-sausage-in-a-cheap-bun. the name just falls of the tongue