Such a good idea these....

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 6871
    euan said:
    Sure making your own out of ply is great if…

you already have some ply 
    you already have a saw/jigsaw
    you have a means of holding the ply when cutting
    you have space to do the cutting
    you have space to store your tools and surplus ply

Aka being a man ;)
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 942
    edited January 11
    Yeah why doesn't he just use a bit of wood - I'm sure he hasn't already thought of that. It's almost as if he doesn't have the tools to do the job himself, thus taking the convenient option of buying one pre-built that looks a bit more professional than just using a bit of wood. Or a book.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Power_FreakPower_Freak Frets: 198
    I used a deck of cards to do that job... Side benefit: you have a deck of cards to hand for use at the pub after a practice session
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The product pages specify recyclable and industrially compostable PLA that can be returned to them for end of life processing. 

I bet half of you have plastic fucking Behringer pedals anyway 
    LMAO. Actually I have three Behringer pedals on my board, (EQ, Chorus and Shifter/Harmoniser), and those cases are made from recyclable ABS as far as I'm aware. Granted the other seven pedals on there are in metal cases, but I never get why people are so worked up about Behringer's plastic cases; I've never had any issues with them.

And if anyone is old enough to have ever lugged any of those fecking enormous cast metal Electro-Harmonix Wah and Phaser pedals, which you could have chocked a Boeing 747 with, to their gigs, they'll have gained an appreciation for pedals in small, lightweight plastic cases.
    My youtube music channel is here My youtube aviation channel is here
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3968
    Nope, this is just an unnecessary use of non-recyclable plastics. I'd be more interested in 'green' materials instead, but it's also not a problem that actually bothers me either, so clearly I'm not this specific target audience.
    It’s not single use though. It doesn’t need recycling if it’s in continuous use.
  • The product pages specify recyclable and industrially compostable PLA that can be returned to them for end of life processing. 

I bet half of you have plastic fucking Behringer pedals anyway 
    LMAO. Actually I have three Behringer pedals on my board, (EQ, Chorus and Shifter/Harmoniser), and those cases are made from recyclable ABS as far as I'm aware. Granted the other seven pedals on there are in metal cases, but I never get why people are so worked up about Behringer's plastic cases; I've never had any issues with them.

And if anyone is old enough to have ever lugged any of those fecking enormous cast metal Electro-Harmonix Wah and Phaser pedals, which you could have chocked a Boeing 747 with, to their gigs, they'll have gained an appreciation for pedals in small, lightweight plastic cases.
    I knew my tone was open to interpretation here, but I was just being facetious, sorry.

Of course, a fully sustainable product is best and if people have the materials and skills to make an eco-friendly solution themselves, then great. However, anyone buying a Behringer pedal and a riser or two that will be put to use for a few years, shouldn't feel too guilty about it, imo.

Unfortunately I'm old enough to remember EHX pedals coming in wooden boxes. Those were big, heavy and solid enough to use as a riser! Cost a fortune to ship when you wanted to sell one though.
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3397
    edited January 12
    Nope, this is just an unnecessary use of non-recyclable plastics. I'd be more interested in 'green' materials instead, but it's also not a problem that actually bothers me either, so clearly I'm not this specific target audience.
    It’s not single use though. It doesn’t need recycling if it’s in continuous use.
    And it is recyclable.

Apart from those issues it's a perfectly reasonable objection lol
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28358
    I use quartersawn tone woods. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    Personally I only use endanged sea birds that have been caught in oil spills. Sure they cost a bit extra to elaborately cause and cover up the spill,  but the sizing is just perfect to raise behringer pedals on the back row of a board. 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    sgosden said:
    Personally I only use endanged sea birds that have been caught in oil spills. Sure they cost a bit extra to elaborately cause and cover up the spill,  but the sizing is just perfect to raise behringer pedals on the back row of a board. 
    Ivory also great, if you can get hold of it
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonP said:
    sgosden said:
    Ivory also great, if you can get hold of it
    Perfect when you do a cover version of Tusk
    My youtube music channel is here My youtube aviation channel is here
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2960
    I just put my pedals on the floor.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • NickBNickB Frets: 241
    You.can buy the wood in various widths and depths from your local b and q. I had the same idea about 2 years ago and made some pedal risers
  • euaneuan Frets: 1497
    edited January 13
    Actually if this is actually about waste, B and Q often have an off cut bin at the exit where you can pick up off cuts left by customers for free. 

Still doesn’t solve having the means to further cut to size. Or if you live in somewhere like London and don’t have access to a car 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10699
    blobb said:
    I just put my pedals on the floor.
    But what’s the floor made out of?
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4140
    euan said:
    Actually if this is actually about waste, B and Q often have an off cut bin at the exit where you can pick up off cuts left by customers for free. 

Still doesn’t solve having the means to further cut to size. Or if you live in somewhere like London and don’t have access to a car 
    I was going to suggest this, the offcuts there are more than enough. A reasonable saw to do the job will be less than £10 inside too, and then you can make as many as you want for the cost of a single plastic version (shipped). As far as space goes, a kitchen table or a sideboard is more than enough to lean on a bit of wood/ply while you do two cuts. Failing that, or if you don’t want to make a mess inside / risk cutting into furniture, just walk outside your abode and find the nearest kerb. With regards to transport in cities, that’s what the tube and buses are for - or taxis and uber if you want to pay the privilege.

It’s not about whether plastic is recyclable or not (because it doesn’t get recycled anyway the majority of the time), it’s about reducing our total consumption of it in the first place and using green(er) materials. Microplastics in the environment are a serious problem, arguably as bad as climate change itself, and it is only going to get worse with shit like this that could be done in a far more conscientious fashion.

P.s. for anyone who actually wants one/some of these but can’t make their own, PM me and I’ll happily put them together for you at the same rates or less.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28358
    Though if we're going to get all hippy-dippy about these, I wouldn't look at the impact of the pedals themselves. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    edited January 13
    This is what it says on their website....

"The PLA we use is recyclable and industrially compostable, if you would like more any information on this please get in touch, we are happy to take any unwanted used risers and will ensure that they get recycled."

I don't think that these pedals risers are going to contibute much to plastic in the environment. Start with single use beverage packaging and car tyres if you want to have a rant about it.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26624
    Looking closely, they definitely look like they're 3D-printed (and raw, ie they're not sanded/painted/etc - the usual post-processing for nice-looking parts). That being the case, they are totally recyclable - most FDM 3D prints can be turned back into filament and reused.

Of course, anybody with a 3D printer could knock these together with about 10 minutes in TinkerCAD and 30p of filament.
    <space for hire>