Neck builders

What's Hot
Who are we liking for paddle-headstock necks in the UK?
I’ve got an Allparts JGRO (Jaguar, 24”) on a previous build, but it’s a little too fat for my next project, so I’m looking for some recommendations. I’d also prefer a paddle so I can shape my own headstock, rather than the Fender-style.

24”, rosewood board, thin profile… roasted maple shaft would be nice but not essential, I’m happy to blast it with a torch and sand it back, before oiling it for that aesthetic!

Guitarbuild.co.uk look decent, but it works out fairly expensive in the end, close to £400. 

I’m aiming for the £200 ballpark. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    I fitted a shaped head neck version of this for a guy and it was excellent.  I suspect their paddle heads are just as good.  I was surprised and impressed in equal measure:
    https://guitaranatomy.com/product/roasted-maple-and-rosewood-stratocaster-guitar-neck-unfinished-paddle-headstock/

• WezVWezV Frets: 16676
    Allparts necks can usually be reshaped pretty well, it's safe ads long as you don't take much from the centreline.

Please don't blow torch the neck for a roasted aesthetic.  It's not a good idea on a neck.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    WezV said:
    Allparts necks can usually be reshaped pretty well, it's safe ads long as you don't take much from the centreline.

Please don't blow torch the neck for a roasted aesthetic.  It's not a good idea on a neck.
    Duuuuuuude, I was really wanting to see some blow torch action
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LesorpheeLesorphee Frets: 16
    It worked reasonably well for me a few years ago on a sacrificial squier neck I sanded down… just gave some nice colour and grain to an otherwise very pale neck… it didn’t seem to undo any of the fretboard glue (under the board, or under the frets) or have any other negative effects I could see, but I’d absolutely respect your opinion on why it could be a bad idea…! What are the sort of pitfalls I might walk into?
  • NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 771
    I had a neck from East Durham Guitars for £199 last year and it's great.  

Check out there eBay shop and contact them for necks.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/296147969031?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=spJqi0YJR5G&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=l_4TSel6QX6&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16676
    Lesorphee said:
    It worked reasonably well for me a few years ago on a sacrificial squier neck I sanded down… just gave some nice colour and grain to an otherwise very pale neck… it didn’t seem to undo any of the fretboard glue (under the board, or under the frets) or have any other negative effects I could see, but I’d absolutely respect your opinion on why it could be a bad idea…! What are the sort of pitfalls I might walk into?
    When they torrify/roast wood they do it as larger blanks then plane down to size.  Same as drying wood really, you expect some wastage from shrinking and warping.  If you do it wrong you get more wastage.  Too fast or too hot and it's all scrap

A blowtorch will over dry the surface and potentially release some unforseen tension or introduce some from the difference between surface and internal humidity.... In short, you could warp it very easily, or cause splits at points of tension

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom