Valve Amp Kits UK

What's Hot
nero1701nero1701 Frets: 1427
Besides Modulus and Vyse are there any other kit providers in the UK?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 1134
    Not that I’m aware of. Ampmaker have closed indefinitely 
  • nero1701nero1701 Frets: 1427
    Alex2678 said:
    Yeah, seen that, shame, I liked the look of a couple of them
  • LordOxygenLordOxygen Frets: 319
    I've built 2 amp maker kits, the fender champ cloan and the N5X - both are excellent and both go very load with a 212 cab, and quiet enough to be usable at home. I'm very happy with them.
    I reckon the shop will open again at some point - not the first time he has closed indefinitely.  
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27570
    nero1701 said:
    Alex2678 said:
    It’d be a real shame if he’s closed for good - though that would be different to “indefinitely”.

I put the N5X kit together last summer.  It was my first amp build and worked first time, thanks in no small part to the excellent build guides that he’s put together.  

It also sounds incredible at home-friendly volumes up to very non-home-friendly volumes!  :D
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1260
    TTony said:
    nero1701 said:
    Alex2678 said:
    It’d be a real shame if he’s closed for good - though that would be different to “indefinitely”.

I put the N5X kit together last summer.  It was my first amp build and worked first time, thanks in no small part to the excellent build guides that he’s put together.  

Absolutely, I can’t help feeling that the amount of time which went into making the kits and build guides as comprehensively user friendly as they were, along with the amount of time and effort Barry put into supporting his customers must have made the whole thing kind of hard to sustain in business terms. He did seem to get a real kick out of people enjoying both the builds and the end product but you can’t live on that, and if he’s got other calls on his time and effort I don’t begrudge that and wish him well in whatever he’s doing now…
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 2495
    I’m stoked I picked up an 18w kit from him last year if he’s closed again 
    @Modulus_Amps Just ordered the MarshBar..

Looking forward to the build 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    nero1701 said:

Following.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    andy_k said:
    nero1701 said:

Following.
    +1
    Will be checking back to see how it’s going.
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2583
    tFB Trader
    nero1701 said:

Wow that awesome thanks very much!

Got a couple of these sold today so I will have to guess which is yours. This has been our most popular kit over the last year, it is a cracking amp.
  • jesonejesone Frets: 60
    I've been lusting over the Modulus 800 2204 small box kit for ages now. Haven't quite managed to free up the funds as yet.
    I'd been eyeing up a sv20 for months.. But as an engineer who now works in a non engineering capacity..I miss building. Logical choice really.
  • randellarandella Frets: 4174
    Oooh that'll be great. I ordered a chassis and some trannys from Modulus for a build I'm working on - it's very high quality stuff. You won't be disappointed. :)
    So, The kit arrived on Friday, I done a quick stock check of the components and spent a couple hours on Friday, Saturday and Sunday building it up.

I wanted to populate the turret board with all the wires before I solder on the components, I done all the "topside" wired and then flipped the board up the other way and bade all the links.

Next I attached the chassis parts. One thing I made a boo boo on was tightening the pots..slightly too tight on one and its made a witness mark on the front of the faceplate.

With the chassis part attache, I've started to off board wiring on the valve holders, speaker outs ect..

Photos
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
    I wager this won’t be your last amp build - I started with a Modulus kit and I think I’m up to 7 scratch builds now!
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jarvssjarvss Frets: 2
    Sad news about Ampmaker as Barry got me started with his P1800. His kits are/were an easy way into amp building. I also added one his VVR’s into my Modulus 5E3. Just finished my second Modulus, a JTM45 which is an absolute steal, I’m glad that I have an attenuator though as this amp starts loud and gets louder. You can’t go wrong with Modulus though as Michael is a great guy to deal with. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TJT1979TJT1979 Frets: 188
    edited February 27
    I built 2 Ampmaker kits. P1800 and N5X. The 18W has been my gigging amp for years, replacing an Orange OR15. 

I'd quite like to build another 15-20W amp with a bit more headroom. Will look into a Modulus... any suggestions welcome.
    I'm nearly finished, but have went back a couple of times to tidy up some stuff, neatness ect. I'll post up some pics later in the day.