Not musical; a watch box make

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28386
    Oh, and I also figured out how it went wrong - and it wasn't (just) my measuring.

One of the weaknesses of the Bosch tablesaw is that the fence doesn't lock in a way that guarantees that it's parallel to the blade. I think it was about an eighth of a degree out, which translates to about 1mm over the 400mm (ish) that the box is long - so you end up with a sort of Escher staircase effect.

There are upgrades available, and it looks like I should try them.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Okey; all mitred and trimmed, and now glued onto the lid:

Not too bad from the sides:

So once the glue has properly cured I'll tidy up with a scraper. I think I may trim the ebony very slightly so there's a little "step" to help open the lid, and to make it all neat. Then some finishing, then the hinges can go in. This might just be recoverable...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    So the good news is that the glue-up went really well.

The bad news is that when cutting the slots for the hinges the router table took a great lump out of the ebony, and I'd already cut the slots into the tray base, so now the entire thing is fucked.

The lesson here is not to listen to people who tell you to make something you don't want to. I should have just made the tray, which was my original plan, and not tried to make a lid which would have gotten in the way anyway.

It is now all in the firewood box, and I will not be making further attempts to fix it. At some point I might make a tray instead.
  • Bummer
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 9
    The tray might be salvageable, but it's going in the naughty box for a LONG time.

I was very good and didn't take the sledgehammer to everything in sight. 
    edited March 10
    I made a little filler bit, but it shot off into the dust extractor. There was swearing. 

The I made a mesh filter for the dust inlet. 

The I made another little filler bit and glued it in. I will tidy up with a flush-cut saw later today.

• Your "only fit for firewood" cock-ups look so much better than anything I make!
    I flush-cut the filler, then sanded to 320, then just a teeny bit of beeswax rubbed in. The filler bit is very visible in daylight, not so much otherwise. It might be backwards compared to the sides.

And now in situ. Oh, look, there's a spare bay... I should do something about that.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Nice save
    Ta. Pretty much what I'd planned from the beginning!

I might have a go at something simple using those hinges just to see if I can make them wotrk.