Tonex or Kemper Player?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• relic245relic245 Frets: 962

Option paralysis - how far do you go testing different variations on a theme (as with ir’s). Fat, thin, balanced, clean, edge, crunch, dimed, the list is almost endless which is why I just went with the balanced versions. 

Interestingly I've had less options paralysis with the Tonex than anything else - especially helix where it felt like I was tweaking my rig for every gig. 

I bought 5 packs from Amalgam (in the 5 for 3 sale)

I had 3 core sounds in my head for gigging and was pretty sure that they would all be from the Marshall superbass pack.

I put all the low gain ones next to each other,  and played through them all for about 2 mins each. I liked all of them. 

I decided that I would play through them once more and at the end of it use my gut to choose 1, if I couldn't choose between 2 I'd flip a coin. 

Did that for low, med and high gain. 

That's it. That is now my gigging rig and has been for the last month it sounds great so no desire to go and tweak. 

I play through some of the others at home for variety but I'm doing  much more playing than I did with the helix. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• Power supply - this is probably specific to me but powering the Tonex & HX Stomp from powerbanks does produce a bit of hum, so I need to look at this (two separate powerbanks needed as running both off one lasts about an hour). 

Probably worth testing them separately to see which one's the culprit; I ran my Stomp directly from a USB power bank (with a ZY12PDN trigger board), and it produced no additional noise at all; however, when I added pedals, I had to use a Joyo ZGP inline first.
    The “quietest” option so far is to use two powerbanks, one for the stomp only & one for the Tonex plus a couple of other pedals. 

Running both from one drains the power in about an hour..

I have one of those ZGP things first inline for the Tonex but if I add another to the stomp path it all gets a bit weird - the stomp starts turning off & on by itself - dodgy ZGP or you can’t use more than one at a time (albeit on different paths). 
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1860
    edited February 11
    I had a similar debate. Having owned a Kemper Stage and having currently got a ToneX I thought i might 'upgrade'. i didn't because i ended up mainly using 3 profiles on the Stage and tended to use it for the stunning delays and reverbs. In the end i sold it and kept my GT1000 Core. When ToneX appeared I bought one, and like so many I turned to Almagum for captures. The Tone King was the favourite until yesterday when I got the new Morgan AC20 captures.
    Funninly enough that was one of my preferred profiles on the Kemper.
    For going 'out' to play this is the board:

And for dicking around at home the Tonex works well on this board:

It has replaced the full fat Revival Drive that used to live there and that may go now and I'll just keep my Compact and the other Origin Amp sims
    For live the miniboard is perfect whilst the big board would sound great for some situations (if I kept the Mood and Generation Loss off) but I'd need a MIDI controller to tie it all together. Far easier to use the ToneX/Boss combo.