Bit of a challenge here

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27508
    You could put filtertrons in it to get the height up
    True.  I hadn't thought of that.

:-?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72350
    TTony said:
    Just googled that ... I think this pic shows what you mean (I know the pic is of the back of the body, but the front seems to be pretty similar)

[Rick 381]

My reservation about that is that the body is mahog and the cap will be something else, so I'd have a definite "what's that all about then" 2-tone effect all around the edge where the mahog was still visible ... although it does have the attraction of being a bit easier than thicknessing the body!
    Yes, that's exactly it.

It may just be me, but I think the contrast of having the join between the mahogany and the cap about halfway up the carve would look really nice.

Westone did something similar, although the colour scheme is the other way round and the 'carve' is actually just a bevel... the Paduak:

http://www.westoneguitars.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/paduak-ver1-bridge-notopscrews.jpg

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ^^

I like that.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72350
    I knew you would, that's why I suggested it :).

It's almost Kawai-esque ;)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I do wish it had turned out better, my friend and I were working too quickly to finish up a batch of bodies as we were nearing the end of our time at that workshop so this one suffered worse than the rest unfortunately. :(

Still, Wez's work on the neck was great, and I reckon it's worth a bit of work to try and salvage it. Here's to hoping it turns out to be a labour of love for you Tony, rather than a waste of time! :D

It'll never be a waste of time @guitargeek62 because whatever I end up doing with it, I'll learn something from the process!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Fair point! :)
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    The cap thing is going to look nice. Out of interest, if you did manage to steam off the neck would it be possible to plane the heel a tiny amount and refit at a different angle to get a sensible bridge height? Or would the body still be too thin or issues with tenons and things?
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16676
    That would be possible, and with a normal one-piece neck its what i would advise.   with a 3-piece neck obviously there is a lot more glue joins that could be affected by the steam
  • keithfkeithf Frets: 371
    ICBM;391835" said:
    TTony said:

Just googled that ... I think this pic shows what you mean (I know the pic is of the back of the body, but the front seems to be pretty similar)

[Rick 381]

My reservation about that is that the body is mahog and the cap will be something else, so I'd have a definite "what's that all about then" 2-tone effect all around the edge where the mahog was still visible ... although it does have the attraction of being a bit easier than thicknessing the body!

Yes, that's exactly it.

It may just be me, but I think the contrast of having the join between the mahogany and the cap about halfway up the carve would look really nice.

Westone did something similar, although the colour scheme is the other way round and the 'carve' is actually just a bevel... the Paduak:

http://www.westoneguitars.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/paduak-ver1-bridge-notopscrews.jpg

I got one of them somewhere