Buying without trying...thoughts and experiences?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• So I have purchased electrics unplayed on more than 1 ocasion. My general thought on that score is that I can change the pickups and other bits until I find something that works for me. As long as the neck is within the range of what I like, the rest will probably be fine. 
    In terms of acoustics though I am very, very selective.
    I am blind and so will literally do blind tests of acoustics in shops, telling the guys my price range and style, and letting them just hand me things. That's how I rejected an Eric Clapton EC28 in favour of  a Taylor, believe it or not! I am much more likely to keep an acoustic I've chosen this way, rather than one I've purchased unplayed.
    Human ear, brand and cost bias is a real thing.

Matt

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BeardyAndyBeardyAndy Frets: 716
    Best blind buy was my Guild solid body. I put an eBay search in for guitars not working and up popped a Guild S-60 with no electrics, knackered tuners and the pickup route had been cut with a blunt chisel! I took a punt on it and it's now my favourite guitar, I love the weight, the balance, the neck and even the look (not for everyone.) NGD thread below.
    https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/206312/ngd-ish/p1

I'm now looking for a B301 or B302 bass, probably have to pay more than I did for the S-60 though!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom