Learning the piano as an adult

adampeteradampeter Frets: 775
edited January 31 in Making Music
Been thinking about this for a while, is 57 years too old?
Be nice to learn some chords, etc , bash out a few tunes.
Am i deluded in the amount of work this will involve? anyone else here done this journey, can it be done without getting bogged down in sight reading , etc 
Played guitar for dockeys years so have some knowledge of chords, scales, etc
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• topdog91topdog91 Frets: 308
    No, it's not too late and if you have some theory knowledge it definitely helps. Alfred's is generally regarded as the best book series for adults, it's really well-paced and great fun. This reticence to sight-read is almost a meme at this point, I'd embrace it as part of overall musical development, but don't worry, you won't be doing Bach at the start anyway. I do think that it helps to read with piano, it's not like they have tabs but why would they, unlike guitar there's one place to play every note.

Actually, it's funny that guitarists rarely shy away from sight-reading tab, even though i's crap.
    Brian Moore MC1 / i9.13p, Chapman ML-2 / ML-3, Fender 1977 Strat Hardtail / Richie Kotzen Telecaster, Peavey Predator / T-60, PRS SE Akerfeldt / Akesson , Squier Classic Vibe 60s Strat, FSR Custom Tele x2, Simon & Patrick Folk Cedar
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27578
    adampeter said:

Am i deluded in the amount of work this will involve? anyone else here done this journey, can it be done without getting bogged down in sight reading , etc 

Pianoforall

https://pianoforall.com/

It's also available via Udemy, often for <£15, which is an absolute steal.

For learning chords and "bashing out a few tunes" it worked really well for me.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • Fingers657Fingers657 Frets: 657
    My father started learning in his late 40s passed a few exams and did the same with the Clarinet.
    He can’t play anything by ear .
    He has to have the music infront of him.
    He’s 90 this year and still enjoying playing.