Small direct to house options

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2348
    edited February 24
    Boss ir2 and pedals of your choice.. . Got to say I’ve had the simplifier, hx stomp, gt1000, and various others. This is my favourite and is very tweakable/. Easy to use.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • susbemolsusbemol Frets: 441
    susbemol said:
    You're crazy
    Any particular reason? 
    Sorry, couldn't miss the easy joke!

Personally, if I choose to use a digital solution like the Helix, I would normally go all in. I take nothing else (apart from an expression pedal) when gigging with my Kemper Stage.

I know exactly what you mean about the amp modelling in the Helix though, I also find it hard work to get it to where I might be ok enough with it so that I can just concentrate on the music/playing.

Having said that, it shouldn't be so difficult to get the Helix to be able to offer a similar sound/response to the Simplifier. It will probably involve some time experimenting with EQ and some dynamics (possibly a parallel compressor, limiter, etc) but, once you're there, you could just save it and leave it at that.

With everything in one box there should be a lot less potential for things to go wrong.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • So, I finally went for the Boss IR2.
    Will report back when I've had chance to hook it up with my various other bits of kit. 

One gripe about the boss ir2 so far though - the USB drivers are not compatible with older macOS - so if you're on a 2009 like me, good luck!
  • PhiltheguitarPhiltheguitar Frets: 13
    edited February 26
    So I've just been trying this all out and I think I like it:

Guitar into HELIX LT (no amps or cab sims used in Helix)
    Helix into Boss IR2 (4 cable method)
    Boss IR2 into headphones/studio monitors

Not had chance to run this set up into a PA system yet, but to me the IR2 is giving me a result that I'm happier with than using the built in modelling on the Helix.

Yes, I think I'm slightly crazy, and yes, it's a faff to set up 4CM plus powering the IR2 etc when I could just use the Helix for everything, but this is GAS remember!

EDIT: the FX block on the Helix looks a bit like: Wah - Phase - Boost - FX LOOP (IR2) - Delay - Reverb

Essentially the IR2 takes the place of a conventional amp, and I use pedals in front of it and in the FX loop as you would normally.
  • UPDATE:
    I used the rig described above at a very high profile show and it was excellent. Had nothing but compliments on the tones I was getting.

• nero1701nero1701 Frets: 1579
    I've gotten a two notes opus, quite happy with that, haven't used it at a gig yet, but that is on rhe horizon.
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2348
    UPDATE:
    I used the rig described above at a very high profile show and it was excellent. Had nothing but compliments on the tones I was getting.

I prefer the IR2 to the Line 6 amp modelling.. But if you're happy with the Line 6  Helix effects, why don't you just get an HX effects and sell the LT?
  • thomasw88 said:
    UPDATE:

I prefer the IR2 to the Line 6 amp modelling.. But if you're happy with the Line 6  Helix effects, why don't you just get an HX effects and sell the LT?
    Or why not have both..? ;)
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2562
    I didn't like the presets for cab and mic modelling on the helix, generally too "fizzy", but a lot of the IRs out there are far too dark.

I've had good results with splitting the signal and running 2 cab models, one "direct" sounding with a dynamic mic model, and one "big" and dark sounding with a ribbon mic model and a very slight predelay, then finding a blend of the two signals I'm happy with. In my opinion it sounds better than most of the IRs out there, though I hear the Boss amp models and IRs are very good/natural sounding
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!