Warm and full sounding 'pedal platform' amps?

What's Hot
RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13944
edited February 1 in Amps
I've had my Mesa Boogie Mark V 35 combo for some years now and these days rarely use the drive channel, which is quite fussy to dial in, I tend to only use the clean channel. I'm fancying a change to see if there's a better sounding simpler, single channel clean/edge of breakup pedal platform amp. Thing is it needs to be warm and full sounding, many of the usual contenders seem to get reported as being a bit bright and potentially harsh on the top end.(such as DRRI or Tone King Imperial MK II)

I don't dislike the fat mode on the Boogie clean channel just wondering if there's a nice alternative in the 30-40 watt range, or do I need to remortgage up to a Two Rock?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mo6020mo6020 Frets: 366
    edited February 1
    A Tweed Bassman is what you are looking for.

"Filthy appalachian goblin."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Fingers657Fingers657 Frets: 657
    edited February 1
    mo6020 said:
    A Tweed Bassman is what you are looking for.
    Or a brilliant Electro  Harmonix MIG 50 head.
    https://youtu.be/F4l67uJuulI?feature=shared
    That would do nicely, too. Basically a Bassman innit  ;)
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13944
    edited February 1
    Interesting, how much clean headroom is there in a Bassman before they start caving in?

• PetepassionPetepassion Frets: 859
    I've recently acquired a 40W Fargen BBvs2 combo. Brilliant pedal platform similar to the old blackface Fender Vibroverb.
    Sensible size and weight, basic, but sounds great and the EQ is very effective.
    ‘It is no measure of good health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society’
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27114
    Cornell Romany 12 

That said I don’t think I would ever describe my TMDR as even remotely “shrill”
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Sharky77Sharky77 Frets: 211
    edited February 1
    Ceriatone JM50 - pretty much a clone of the John Mayer Two Rock amp and has a deep switch for big lows as well as 3 way bright and mid switches. 3 tube reverb sounds incredible and is 50w with a half power mode. The ultimate pedal platform! The only problem is the head has gotta weigh around 20kg because of the transformers. Here is mine into a 1x12 cab -

0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fingers657Fingers657 Frets: 657
    edited February 1
    Sharky77 said:
    Ceriatone JM50 - pretty much a clone of the John Mayer Two Rock amp and has a deep switch for big lows as well as 3 way bright and mid switches. 3 tube reverb sounds incredible and is 50w with a half power mode. The ultimate pedal platform! The only problem is the head has gotta weigh around 20kg because of the transformers. Here is mine into a 1x12 cab -

That looks nice .
    Have you tried one of these ?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nux-Steel-Singer-Boutique-style-overdrive/dp/B08L9LRQ7B/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3NCWF35ZAWEGE&keywords=nux%2Bsteel%2Bsinger%2Bpedal&qid=1706805142&sprefix=NUX%2Bs%2Caps%2C86&sr=8-5&th=1

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12668
    Leftfield: Blackstar Amped 1

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • My Koch Twintone 2 in the classifieds.  ;)

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/261081/fs-koch-twintone-mkii-1x12-valve-combo-375-posted#latest

Just ignore the drive channels, I never use them. The clean channel is the perfect base for pedals. It’s a lovely big, round clean channel and it stays clean pretty much all the way up.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72437
    I've had my Mesa Boogie Mark V 35 combo for some years now and these days rarely use the drive channel, which is quite fussy to dial in, I tend to only use the clean channel. I'm fancying a change to see if there's a better sounding simpler, single channel clean/edge of breakup pedal platform amp. Thing is it needs to be warm and full sounding, many of the usual contenders seem to get reported as being a bit bright and potentially harsh on the top end.(such as DRRI or Tone King Imperial MK II)

I don't dislike the fat mode on the Boogie clean channel just wondering if there's a nice alternative in the 30-40 watt range, or do I need to remortgage up to a Two Rock?
    Mesa Blue Angel. It's basically the amp for people who like the Mesa clean sound but don't want all the other stuff, and it's specifically designed for power amp breakup at either 15, 30 or 38W depending on the valve setting.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33803
    ICBM said:

Mesa Blue Angel. It's basically the amp for people who like the Mesa clean sound but don't want all the other stuff, and it's specifically designed for power amp breakup at either 15, 30 or 38W depending on the valve setting.
    Yep.

Peavey Classic 30 is a good option at the cheaper end too.

Interesting, how much clean headroom is there in a Bassman before they start caving in?
    A decent amount, imo. Enough to keep up with a drummer in a full band setting.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7774
    Peavey classic 50 is a great bargain option. The input circuit is not far off a Bassman
  • monkey42monkey42 Frets: 341
    Peavey classic (30 or 50 ) is a great choice for the money

@rockmonster has a 30 up at a great price
  • rockmonsterrockmonster Frets: 838
    Friedman Buxom Betty is pretty good too.
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5773
    Im currently using a Supro Rhythm Master. It’s the biggest warmest clean I’ve ever had, as you might expect with a 15” in a nice big cab. 

I’d never heard it with pedals but @Keefy came round the other day with one of those funny trays of  little boxes and wires and I liked the sound quite a lot. 

https://www.suprousa.com/amplifiers/rhythm-master/
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ElectricXIIElectricXII Frets: 1133
    Maybe try a Marshall Bluesbreaker? It's stays clean pretty far up the dial, has a lovely warm sound, and it loves pedals.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9687
    Blackstar Artist (not Artisan) was designed as a pedal platform amp. Only ever heard one once and thought it sounded pretty decent.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it