Warm and full sounding 'pedal platform' amps?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2901
    I can’t understand the mentality of buying a really expensive valve amp and relying on boxes of transistors to get all your best tones. I do understand the Fender hot rod approach though.
    Yeah I find it odd too, then again I never really play clean so it never made sense to me to have a clean amp with a MIAB running over the top of it, when I could just have a Marshall amp doing the same dirty sound but better. I'd maybe try it again if I could ever justify a Bluesbreaker since gritty Marshall "cleans" are actually quite nice, I had a HRDx for a while and hated the squeaky clean sound with no character to it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rockmonsterrockmonster Frets: 838
    edited February 6
    Alex2678 said:
    I tried the pedal platform thing for a while. I used a Friedman Buxom Betty but in the end nothing replaces the sound of a cooking valve amp for me. I can’t understand the mentality of buying a really expensive valve amp and relying on boxes of transistors to get all your best tones. I do understand the Fender hot rod approach though.
    If pedals though a valve amp sounds good, it sounds good. I do think there’s more to valve amps than the way they overdrive 
    An opinion is just an opinion. Sounding good is an opinion. One man’s meat is another man’s poison. I am not incorrect and neither are you. (In our heads anyway!)
  • richman6100richman6100 Frets: 339
    I'll add the Hamstead Artist to the mix. It's versatile and neutral enough (in a good way) to work with every single pedal I've run through mine. It's never harsh or overly bright and can be dialled in to a nice warm sound if that's what you want. Without pedals it's still a fine amp, but it's as a pedal platform where it shines in my opinion. Support from Hamstead is excellent too. The only downside is that it's on the heavier side if you were considering lugging it about regularly.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 1151
    Alex2678 said:
    I tried the pedal platform thing for a while. I used a Friedman Buxom Betty but in the end nothing replaces the sound of a cooking valve amp for me. I can’t understand the mentality of buying a really expensive valve amp and relying on boxes of transistors to get all your best tones. I do understand the Fender hot rod approach though.
    If pedals though a valve amp sounds good, it sounds good. I do think there’s more to valve amps than the way they overdrive 
    An opinion is just an opinion. Sounding good is an opinion. One man’s meat is another man’s poison. I am not incorrect and neither are you. (In our heads anyway!)
    Yeah definitely just providing insight into my mentality as an example