what to buy?!

What's Hot
I've been playing guitar for a couple of years now learning on a very cheap acoustic (ovation applause) and a decent fender tele. I would really like to buy something that sounds better than my current acoustic. My question is as a relative beginner, is it worth spending £1000 + on something like a martin or would this be wasted in my hands? I am a professional (classical) musician, and would always pay for top quality in my main instrument but realise this may not be worth it on something I have no intention of playing in public! I would like a small acoustic, no need for pick ups as I don't plan on plugging it in. Any advice gratefully received!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Are you bothered about secondhand? You can do pretty well for 1k.
    I'd say that 1k in the Martin/Taylor world will get you less than a few other, less well known makes. There  is/was a Larrivee in the classifides that'd probably be a better instrument than your entry level 1k Martin.
    But with acoustic guitars, I genuinely think that often, more is more. With electrics maybe (others will disagree) that is less true. But if you're a musician you may well be inspired more by something you can really feel ring out in your hands, even if you're not taking it out of the house at the moment.
    Eastman's are great at that pricepoint too.

Matt
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • If you’re a classical player maybe something with a wider nut might make you feel more at home too. 
    Auden guitars do a hybrid classical - no idea what that means - they also have some other small bodied acoustics - secondhand you could get a good deal on them too
  • SolgateSolgate Frets: 5
    If you’re a classical player maybe something with a wider nut might make you feel more at home too. 
    Auden guitars do a hybrid classical - no idea what that means - they also have some other small bodied acoustics - secondhand you could get a good deal on them too
    Thanks, To clarify.... I don't play classical guitar! way to hard! Just basic chords, blues stuff etc!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Solgate said:
    If you’re a classical player maybe something with a wider nut might make you feel more at home too. 
    Thanks, To clarify.... I don't play classical guitar! way to hard! Just basic chords, blues stuff etc!

Sorry my bad - just reread! 
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    well if you're down Brizzle way any time soon,  come try my Furch OM for a little more than your budget      (basically a Martin OM28 for £1450)
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • fnptfnpt Frets: 746
    Yamaha's at that price point are excellent.
    ____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2764
    Go to Richards Guitars in Stratford, and have a look at his Furch’s and Dowina’s.   The little parlour Dowina gets a great review too
  • Not worth spending 1k on an acoustic that you said you don't intend on plugging in or playing in public.  You'll just be throwing money away.
    Too many to mention but you can get very good small electro acoustics for a fraction of that price and even though they have pickups, you don't need to plug in if you don't want to.  Just handy that it's there.  Just saying - buy an affordable acoustic and you'll have plenty left over from your 1k to spend on other things! =)

The Fender CD-60 has gotten some really good reviews and cheap as chips.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Not worth spending 1k on an acoustic that you said you don't intend on plugging in or playing in public.  You'll just be throwing money away.
    Too many to mention but you can get very good small electro acoustics for a fraction of that price and even though they have pickups, you don't need to plug in if you don't want to.  Just handy that it's there.  Just saying - buy an affordable acoustic and you'll have plenty left over from your 1k to spend on other things! =)

In my experience there is usually a very marked difference in the tonal quality of a say a £300 acoustic to a £1k one. There is much more pronounced than the difference between a £1k one and say a £3k one. I’ve played the Fender CD-60, it might be good value, but frankly it sounds tinny compared with more expensive acoustics
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    edited February 7
    Not worth spending 1k on an acoustic that you said you don't intend on plugging in or playing in public.  You'll just be throwing money away.
    Too many to mention but you can get very good small electro acoustics for a fraction of that price and even though they have pickups, you don't need to plug in if you don't want to.  Just handy that it's there.  Just saying - buy an affordable acoustic and you'll have plenty left over from your 1k to spend on other things!

absolute tripe

if you can afford it, you spend what you want on what you like  - makes no difference at all if it has on-boards or not (dont see the relevance there ),  or won't be seen out side your four walls.   
    Your money,  your choice.
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1852
    Not worth spending 1k on an acoustic that you said you don't intend on plugging in or playing in public.  You'll just be throwing money away.

In my experience there is usually a very marked difference in the tonal quality of a say a £300 acoustic to a £1k one. There is much more pronounced than the difference between a £1k one and say a £3k one. I’ve played the Fender CD-60, it might be good value, but frankly it sounds tinny compared with more expensive acoustics
    I have a Fender CD 60 but I've never really liked it and will definitely upgrare when finances allow. 500 quid is my top budget but I'd confident of much better with that. Sigma,Yamaha and Eastman are good considerations but Yamaha seem to have nut and neck that is a bit marmite. Sigma and Eastman seem to have naturally wider nut widths. The Sigma OM I had was a 44.5mm nut and that was very comfortable.
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 743
    edited February 7
    A Martin certainly wouldn’t be wasted in your hands @Solgate. Everyone deserves a good guitar and Martins are excellent. 

Problem is £1K is a very crowded price point for acoustics. So you have a cosmically large choice and Martin is only one brand to peruse. imho £1K is only going to get you a fairly ordinary Martin. £3K to £5K is where their best instruments are to be found. 

Sigma, Yamaha, Eastman, Furch, Dowina, JWJ all worth a look. 

You really need to play before you buy. Playability and tone are both specific to the player for acoustics. 

Get a Martin next time!
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2630
    Once you get into the all-solid wood range approaching £1k you’ll likely feel a positive difference in feel and resonance.  If you can do it, I think it’s worth it.  Definitely try used guitars around town.  Taylor and Martin are often marked up imo, but don’t not try them after all.  But yeah, labels like Yamaha, Furch/Stonebridge, Larrivee, etc might give you more for your money.
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5266
    In direct contrast I wouldn’t recommend any of the “cheaper” Martins, I have tried quite a few and find them universally a bit shite (imo).

Also I would strongly recommend getting out there and trying guitars regardless of budget as it’s all experience and knowledge gained.

as for not wanting to spend as it’s only for home, if you have the where with all to get up to a higher standard of woods, build sounds etc in the long run it may well be better to “go for gold” from the get go.

its a wonderful journey trying all types and price points and very informative good luck
  • LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1067
    edited February 7
    bertie said:
    Too many to mention but you can get very good small electro acoustics for a fraction of that price and even though they have pickups, you don't need to plug in if you don't want to.  Just handy that it's there.  Just saying - buy an affordable acoustic and you'll have plenty left over from your 1k to spend on other things!

absolute tripe

if you can afford it, you spend what you want on what you like  - makes no difference at all if it has on-boards or not (dont see the relevance there ),  or won't be seen out side your four walls.   
    Your money,  your choice.
    Yep his money his choice and while people like you are advising him to spend big, I'm giving him reasons not to. Nothing wrong with hearing both sides is there. Just because you don't agree, doesn't mean someone's opinion is automatically "tripe". Your reaction makes me think I struck a nerve or something. It wouldn't be because you're subtly trying to flog your rather expensive Furch to him is it?  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 743
    edited February 8
    mgaw said:
    In direct contrast I wouldn’t recommend any of the “cheaper” Martins, I have tried quite a few and find them universally a bit shite (imo).
    Yeh. My first ever Martin was a 000X1. Made in Mexico. I was very excited to have a Martin but, in retrospect, it wasn’t that great. Having had several acoustics since then, I think there are better options mid market. We are so spoilt for choice now. Even £300 to £500 will get you some cracking instruments from Yamaha, Vintage, Guild, Epiphone.

If this thread goes on for long enough you’ll find Yamaha mentioned quite a lot. A trip to Yamaha on Wardour St in London is always fun and you can pop to Denmark St whilst you’re in the smoke too!

It’s all lots of fun!
  • ditchboyditchboy Frets: 296
    There’s some bargains to be had for less than a grand imo. I just sold a stunning Larrivee for less than that. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Hi Solgate. As Ditchboy says, there are loads of great options at a grand or less. I also just sold a lovely Larrivee OM for around that mark, and also have an L03 in the classifieds for a grand. That guitar is medium to large so probably not suitable but it shows what is out there. I would also be looking at Auden, Furch, Dowina, Eastman and Yamaha. Good luck with your search!
  • Oh, and JWJ! Only played a couple recently but they were ridiculously good!