what to buy?!

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27003
    I’m a firm believer in buying the best acoustic you can afford, as they really do (generally) keep getting better as you spend more, up to at least the $3k mark 

As you’re already a musician you’re far more likely to stick with it than most newbies, and you can mitigate that “day one” depreciation by buying something used. 

For my money that would look like a D18 (not necessarily Martin but any similar lightly built dreadnought in solid wood, mahogany back, spruce top, etc). And if you fancy something smaller than a dread then 000/ OM sort of things would be my focus. I honestly don’t know the market at that sort of price point tbh so I won’t comment on specific model recommendations. 

(In reality I’d spend more and recommend an Atkin 47 but that’s going to be above budget)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• I’m a firm believer in buying the best acoustic you can afford, as they really do (generally) keep getting better as you spend more, up to at least the $3k mark 

As you’re already a musician you’re far more likely to stick with it than most newbies, and you can mitigate that “day one” depreciation by buying something used. 

For my money that would look like a D18 (not necessarily Martin but any similar lightly built dreadnought in solid wood, mahogany back, spruce top, etc). And if you fancy something smaller than a dread then 000/ OM sort of things would be my focus. I honestly don’t know the market at that sort of price point tbh so I won’t comment on specific model recommendations. 

(In reality I’d spend more and recommend an Atkin 47 but that’s going to be above budget)
    I think the Yamaha FG5 might fit the bill in terms of having D18 like specs, but near the OP’s budget.

They do get significantly  better from £200 upwards but I think it is a very much a flattening curve once you get past the £1500($1800) point.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11901
    pop into Forsyths to try some

basically the pro quality acoustics start at £2.5k 
    you can get good used ones for £1600

Martin are usually highly priced for factory-made

You can get some well-made semi-pro models made in east Asia for £1000

Much like with classical guitars, the highest quality ones are generally made by luthiers who make all their own guitars, and small workshops, but some have scaled up from that, Lowden and Avalon being the biggest ever UK makers of Pro acoustics

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7421
    Not worth spending 1k on an acoustic that you said you don't intend on plugging in or playing in public.  You'll just be throwing money away.

Disagree. A lot. 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    edited February 8

I'm giving him reasons not to.

yes, and its wrong.  Apart from personal finance there are NO reasons NOT to,  especially the ones you stated. 

There are alternatives ABSOLUTELY,  but not for the reasons you gave

but hey. ho - lets agree to disagree,  :)

just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • SolgateSolgate Frets: 5
    Many thanks for all the comments! Having spent a couple of days scouring reviews etc etc I’ve bitten the bullet and bought a Yamaha FS 5. Can’t wait!
  • That’s a great choice! Wonderful guitar!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 743
    edited February 9
    I have an FG5. I don't think you'll be disappointed with the more OM sized FS5 and it's a great buy for someone who's been playing for a couple of years. Brilliant. Great fingerpicking guitar as well as good for strumming.

Read up a little bit about setup as, like many acoustics, Yamaha usually ship with the action (gap between strings and fretboard basically) a little high; on the principle that it's easier to lower action than raise it. Even second hand instruments might not have been taken through this process. Where you bought it from might help or point you in the right direction. Or read tFB threads/YouTube etc. Some of it is quite simple if you're a bit handy and have the right tools.

Well done!

Creating A Sanding Block  Popular Woodworking

MusicNomad 6 pc Acoustic Guitar Diamond Coated Nut File Set - LightMedium  Strings MN670  Amazoncouk Musical Instruments  DJ
    Amazoncom 8mm Hollow Shaft Nut Driver Tagged  Barcoded  Tools  Home  Improvement

Dunlop DGT04 Maintenance Tools - Action Gauge  Amazoncouk Automotive

edited February 9
    Solgate said:
    Many thanks for all the comments! Having spent a couple of days scouring reviews etc etc I’ve bitten the bullet and bought a Yamaha FS 5. Can’t wait!
    new or used, and where from?
    I ask because I wonder if it's been set up properly
    It's very rare for a new guitar to be set properly when you buy it

- specifically ensuring the nut slots are cut deep enough, which they almost never are, and that the bridge saddle is the correct height for your playing
    - also you may need the truss rod adjusting, which affects the shape of the neck 
    to be honest, the truss rod and saddle adjustment are best done after you have played it for a while, and after it has recovered from the storage and journey to your house - the guitar slightly changes shape with humidity variation. Please keep your guitar in a room with not much variation in temperature, and with humidity around 45-55%, and away from radiators, fires and direct sunlight.
    Beware that indoor humidity plummets when it is icy/snowy weather
    As we're on the subject! It's quite useful to acquire these skills. Most tools are quite cheap. Although specific nut files aren't. Its tempting to use little generic files or file wire, but they're not so good or easy to get right with.
    DavidR said:
    As we're on the subject! It's quite useful to acquire these skills. Most tools are quite cheap. Although specific nut files aren't. Its tempting to use little generic files or file wire, but they're not so good or easy to get right with.
    yeah, nut files are about £50-£80, not worth getting if you only have one guitar, and easy to make a mistake
    Also it only needs doing once for each guitar normally.
    With a £1k+ guitar I'd definitely pay for a pro setup if I were you
    I paid for one on guitars I got for £250+ in the past, but since I have a  lot of guitars, I bought the nut slot files, and do it myself.
    Took me years to sus out all this stuff by trial and error. And now look! All this excellent advice from the folks on tFB wihin a few hours!

:-)
  • I found most guitars have too much relief in the neck - usually covering up for uneven frets. 
    I noticed that my brook after I had taken it in to them was only a tad off flat. My Auden is also the same - my electrics have now had their frets levelled and action heights are now more agreeable and again set the relief similarly to the acoustics. Amazing the effect doing that has over tweaking bridge heights etc. 
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    With a £1k+ guitar I'd definitely pay for a pro setup if I were you
    I paid for one on guitars I got for £250+ in the past, but since I have a  lot of guitars, I bought the nut slot files, and do it myself.
    I now count a good once over by a luthier into the purchase price. 
  • With a £1k+ guitar I'd definitely pay for a pro setup if I were you
    Just got my OM05 and OM03 back from a luthier (Oska Burman in Glasgow) and man, what a difference! Nut height is way better, no buzzing anywhere... Also I tried to do my OM05 saddle myself but it wasn't perfect and felt ever since that bass response was weak. Now it's been done properly, bass response is back and it sounds a dream... I was thinking of getting rid but a simple setup has truly transformed this guitar.