Edge of break up tones small fender rabbit hole

What's Hot
Ok sure this has been discussed many times and I’m also sure it’s a rabbit hole that we all wander down as guitarists. I’m looking for a smallish amp that does nice cleans that I can turn up and get sweet edge of break up tones. Currently researching champs, princetons, Rivera era amps etc but what are peoples thoughts and what have you found worked when looking yourselves? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I used to own an old 70s silver face champ which was cool but the amp that I’ve been having a lot of fun with at home is an old Marshall reverb 12, cracking little amp 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27131
    How small? This is where the Tonemasters work wonders for me
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • How small? This is where the Tonemasters work wonders for me
    I guess anything from champ to 1x12 combo size. I’ve watched afew videos of the Victoria 5112 which sounds nice 
  • MrTeeMrTee Frets: 511
    68 vibro champ reverb reissue
    I think there's on on here for sale (no affiliation)
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3884
    I've been looking at similar amps too. Check out the Tone King Gremlin.

I'm sure you're aware, but 5 watt amps are LOUD when you wind them up.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12400
    edited February 13
    I’ve had silver face champ which I really liked, gremlin, 68 and 65 princetons and a super champ x 2.  I tried the tone master and the reissue vibro champ and didn’t like either of those for cleans.  

The silver face champ and the 65 reissue Princeton were the best for me.  With an attenuator the 65 is a perfect home amp, better cleans than the gremlin and reverb and tremolo.  

I still have the Princeton, plus the super champ x 2, it’s as good at least as the tone master and has tweed champ, tweed deluxe and more plus effects.  Plus I can take it out without worrying about an expensive amp. 

Long term I’m going to try and get an early 70s Princeton I think. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Depending on your definition of small and budget, anything from a Super Champ XD, Cornell Romany 10  or 5e3 style, Wienbrock or similar. I can speak with some authority as currently have all of those, good luck in your quest.
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 1513
    I recently got a Super Champ XD so I could have Fender sounds with a very small amp footprint (got much less space due to a family emergency, so my Bandit had to go). It’s a fun amp and it does exactly what I wanted, with great cleans and a decent breakup in channel 2. That said, I have it on top of a Marshall DSL40 with a Creamback, and there’s an eyewatering difference in sound in the room! — far less obvious through an SM57 in recordings though. The XD sounds I use most frequently are tweed and black panel with a bit of (digital) spring reverb. 
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9696
    I’m biased having recently bought one but I reckon the Award-Session 5E3 Extra could fit the bill.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    Lebarque said:

at home, in a 10 foot x 10 foot room,  so is 1 watt
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1357
    edited February 13
    MrTee said:
    68 vibro champ reverb reissue
    I think there's on on here for sale (no affiliation)
    I briefly had one of these thinking I could do that edge of break up thing. 

I had to have it on 3 or 4 o clock on the volume to get that to happen with a strat / tele. At which point it was seriously LOUD - and not a particularly pleasant sound either - a sort of raspy harsh distorted tone.
    Humbuckers it was still 1 o clock on the dial - and the windows were still rattling.
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4715
    bertie said:
    Lebarque said:

..as is 0.2 watts of Class D.  1 watt is hilariously loud.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    rlw said:
    bertie said:
    Lebarque said:

pardon............................
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I have a 5 watt Tweed Princeton 5f2A clone (kind of like a champ with a tone knob) that is lovely...but there's no way I can get it to break up at home.  It's now for sale in fact, because I got a TMPR that gives me a bit more flexibility, including getting some digital-yet-convincing break up at low volume.  People seem to love them or hate them, but it works for me - for now at least :D 
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4715
    bertie said:
    rlw said:
    bertie said:
    Lebarque said:

pardon............................

On the 0.2 watt setting, my TMDR fills my small room - around 10x10 - more than adequately, turned up to 7.   Break up is easy at 8/9 but any more is too loud in such a small space.  

The 1 watt setting turned up to 7 or more is unpleasantly loud in that space.

And I have hearing issues with 30% loss of hearing in my left ear and around 20% in my right ear.

Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • How small? This is where the Tonemasters work wonders for me
    Ditto. Very happy Princeton Tonemaster user here.
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7207
    HAL9000 said:
    I’m biased having recently bought one but I reckon the Award-Session 5E3 Extra could fit the bill.
    I had the blues baby and it was perfect for warm cleans through to light gain. Really excelled at the edge of break up stuff.  Couldn't get it sounding right for anything medium gain until I got a blues driver which was a marriage made in heaven
  • ElectricXIIElectricXII Frets: 1134
    I have a 5 watt Tweed Princeton 5f2A clone (kind of like a champ with a tone knob) that is lovely...but there's no way I can get it to break up at home.  It's now for sale in fact, because I got a TMPR that gives me a bit more flexibility, including getting some digital-yet-convincing break up at low volume.  People seem to love them or hate them, but it works for me - for now at least :D 
    Me too. Mine is housed in a Deluxe-sized cabinet with a Jensen P12R. I can confirm that is too loud to get breakup at home if anyone else is in the house.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6088
    The amp I had the most success with getting break up at home play levels was the Princeton Recording Amp, thanks to its onboard attenuator. Its clean sound is also the best I've ever heard. Unfortunately they only made them for a couple years and they are delicate amps unsuited to gigging due to the attenuation control knob that sticks out from the amp and can easily suffer damage. If you can find a good one that's lived at home or in a studio they're well worth trying.
  • fnptfnpt Frets: 746
    edited February 13
    I seem like a broken record but the Laney cub 12 is an excellent choice at 0,75w and a master volume.

Can get as much preamp distortion as you wish at a very, very low volume and is very nice sounding amp with a 12’ speaker and not box sounding. Takes pedals very well and has a very usable fx loop.

I’ve ordered an attenuator to get both pre and power amp distortion and see if that improves the sound, but to be honest I am quite happy as it is in terms of sound and volume.

edit: the cub 12 is Marshall based but the cub 10 I believe is Fender based.
    ____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."