Your favourite Wah

What's Hot

Comments

• Secret_SamSecret_Sam Frets: 277
    Ibanez Weeping Demon, obviously.  You can set it up to behave however you like, and its ergonomics are great too.

It's big and heavy, and is not suitable for cute little mini boards.  In fact, I wouldn't put it on a board at all. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • koss59koss59 Frets: 847
    So far for me it’s a couple of old Jens ( think around 1970 )
    I can’t believe how different they are to modern wahs and still pretty cheap to buy.
    I do maybe fancy selling one and trying a Jam Whacko though.
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
  • BradBrad Frets: 659
    I've gone through so many... but Castledine for me. Got Stu to put the trim pots as external ones for easy adjusting on the fly. Unlike most wah pedals I've used that seem to disappear halfway through the sweep, particularly on the deeper settings, the Castledine is really strong and consistent.

Special mention to the Area 51 and Jam Wahcko which I liked, although the latter had an annoying 'pop' when switching on.

I'd still like to try the Xotic and a Joe Gagan offering at some point. 
  • Favourite Wah? Well it's definitely not the one Pete Wylie was in.
    My youtube music channel is here My youtube aviation channel is here
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4542
    edited February 15
    Kebabkid said:
    Mmm..difficult as I can't find one that sounds equally good, or what I want, on both clean and overdriven sounds 
    The Bud wah came close and I liked the Coloursound. I like a wide sweep and vocal sounding one, like Brian Robertson's sound with Thin Lizzy and I don't like phaser-ish sounding wahs. Oh, and the Moolon was good
    I have a Budwah for sale.. just saying like
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1279
    maharg101 said:
    Budda Bud Wha v1. Standard cry-baby form factor, but in purple, and with better inductor.
    Same here. Had a 70s Jen, harsh and noisey. Had a Morley, too polite. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2326
    CAE & BBE for me.   Really didn't like the Vox one I had, and have had a few others which were quite nice, Crybaby  and a George Dennis were the best from the rest.
  • ElectricXIIElectricXII Frets: 1133
    I use a Vox V847 from time to time. A wah is not an integral part of my live rig though, which is perhaps why I haven't tried any boutique wahs.  In the past I've had basic Cry Baby wahs and a Vox V847a, and have always preferred the sweep of the Voxes. The Cry Baby tone is also a little too shrill for me.
  • I went and tried a bunch in PMT and bought a VOX V847. I was able to get the sweet spot a bit better than the others. I can’t remember what the other ones were, but I’m pretty sure there was a crybaby in there and something slash-inspired.

I don’t like it when the transition from ‘ooh’ to ‘aah’ is like 1cm in the middle of the sweep. 

I had the plastic EHX one for a while - didn’t like it, can’t remember why. 

I also had the red snarling dogs one - sounded great but the treadle was loose and I couldn’t get it to stay still (for my Mick Ronson impressions). Apparently there’s no fix for this.
  • markvmarkv Frets: 459
    My first pedal ever, at the tender age of 15, was a secondhand Jen Cry Baby with a white Fasel, probably from the late 70s (it was the early 80s when I bought it), and it's still my favourite sounding wah. But it's big, noisy and a horrible tone suck when off.

So what's on my board is the Cry Baby Mini, which is much more practical and sounds almost as good on the vintage setting to me.
  • ColsCols Frets: 7012
    Cantrell Cry Baby.  Nice throaty sound, with a really useful control knob that allows adjustment of the sweep.

Also (because I’m shallow), the aged bronze finish looks awesome.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • xotic by far. 

ones ive tested it against: 

Crybaby standard
    Crybaby Classic Faesel 
    Vox Standard
    Budda
    Morley
    CAE

more tweakable, smaller but just as easy to use.

After all that i rarely take a wah out anymore though !
    https://www.gbmusic.co.uk/

PA Hire and Event Management
  • Cols said:
    Cantrell Cry Baby.  Nice throaty sound, with a really useful control knob that allows adjustment of the sweep.

Also (because I’m shallow), the aged bronze finish looks awesome.

This was a favourite of mine too, it wasn't quite as traditional 'wacka wacka funk' as most others in this thread, more subtle by a really nice throaty sound with some gain.
  • Another vote for the Budda Bud Wah v1. Just a great, fat, chunky sound without the hideous biting top end a lot of wahs have
  • BorkBork Frets: 256
    Xotic Q-Wah, just for the amount of adjustability in the settings. 

[This space for rent]

• SporkySporky Frets: 28349
    Another Castledine vote. Mine had all the trim pots. I upped the gain a tad, slightly sharper Q, and it was perfect.

I also liked the Exar Multiwah (the Jacques Trinity is jolly similar) but that's really a controllable envelope filter rather than a traditional inductor wah. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15964
    Thoughts Cry baby mini wah?
    tae be or not tae be
  • SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 942
    edited February 17
    The old budwah black label as it preserves most of the bass frequencies, unlike some others i've tried. 
  • ElectricXIIElectricXII Frets: 1133
    Hootsmon said:
    I had one for a few weeks. It sounded decent but I my foot couldn't get used the small treadle.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7424
    Hootsmon said:
    Honestly I think it’s ACE. It takes a little getting used to needing to get your foot in the right place, and you need to be wearing shoes (otherwise your foot folds over it and it is hard to control) but it sounds just right.

Now that my BBE is dead (scratchy pot) I’ve been using my Mini and I think it sounds great. 
    Red ones are better.