Your favourite Wah

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3423
    I really like my BMF with the stock board. I haven’t tried any other boards but would like to. 

I had a Castledine drop in kit that was pretty good too, really should have kept it but it overlapped the BMF really and I only needed one. 

Had a couple of Roger Mayer Vision Wahs, preferred the version with the external switches but could never get it ‘just right’, thought the version with the voicing on pots would be better but it wasn’t. They’re now ridiculously expensive new.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1342
    Once saw a music store that had 7 or 8 of the things on a board to try which I've not seen since anywhere else.

Personally I've had 3 or 4 and currently have a Bonamassa and a mini-wah thru random choice.

I've just tried a blind test of the 3 internal DIP switches on my dunlop mini-wah. I preferred the middle setting.
    Which is Vintage (as opposed to the modern and Hendrix settings) - so I guess my favourite is a traditional mid range throaty wah with not too wide a sweep.
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
  • Mr_ClawMr_Claw Frets: 94
    Wilson 12-position vintage spec is the best sounding one I've played (and the one that stayed). Can be a bit noisy (but if you wanted quiet why would you use a wah?).

That said, the mechanism on mine needs a fix at the moment...
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8713
    Hootsmon said:
    Thoughts Cry baby mini wah?
    OK if you only want to switch between full on and full off. Difficult to access in between sounds, or do slow sweeps. Personally I prefer to be able to adjust the Wah to the notes I’m playing.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • mo6020mo6020 Frets: 366
    Fulltone Clyde, has a dip switch inside it to change the aggressiveness of the sweep, and sounds really retro.

I've not tried a million other ones, just the ubiquitous Crybaby and an Ibanez Weeping Demon.
    "Filthy appalachian goblin."
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15962
    Roland said:
    Hootsmon said:
    OK if you only want to switch between full on and full off. Difficult to access in between sounds, or do slow sweeps. Personally I prefer to be able to adjust the Wah to the notes I’m playing.

Not quite sure what you be sayin' Roley?

tae be or not tae be
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    Love my EB,  wide sweep range and built like the proverbial out house
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8713
    Hootsmon said:
    Roland said:
    Hootsmon said:

1. Small physical movement to go from fully open to fully closed bass. Consequently it’s difficult to find any middle positions, for example  Michael Schenker tones or Money for Nothing.
    2. Not my choice because I like to use intermediate positions, moving smoothly between them.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7424
    Roland said:
    Hootsmon said:
    Roland said:
    Hootsmon said:

1. Small physical movement to go from fully open to fully closed bass. Consequently it’s difficult to find any middle positions, for example  Michael Schenker tones or Money for Nothing.
    2. Not my choice because I like to use intermediate positions, moving smoothly between them.
    I think it’s actually the other way around - the mini has to tilt to a higher angle to get full travel on the pot with a hinge that’s closer
    Red ones are better. 
    TimmyO said:
    Roland said:
    Hootsmon said:
    Roland said:
    Hootsmon said:

I think it’s actually the other way around - the mini has to tilt to a higher angle to get full travel on the pot with a hinge that’s closer
    …but it does feel harder to control if you don’t get used to putting your foot in the right place relative to the hinge 
    Red ones are better. 
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    The only two I’ve loved is the Xotic Wah mainly due to its size and controls. Too much for me though. Sold that and went with the CAE wah which is great. I don’t use it much though in my current band  
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    I've not tried hundreds of wahs. Only crybaby, weeping demon and my old trusty usa vox 847. I put a Castledine pot in it years ago. It was also a gift from my dad when I was obsessed with hendrix at 14 years old.
    It's the only effects pedal I haven't sold. I have retired it though as its too sentimental.

I wanted to love the weeping demon and it gets pretty damn close, again I'm vain and found the nu metal graphics a bit much. I've had two of them and still end up selling them. 
    Have to admit one the best wahs I've tried is my friends vox satriani wah. Big bad wah I think.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6708
    The Xotic is a really good all-rounder. Quiet too.

Current crush is an RMC 10 which does everything I want perfectly. 

Love the BMF wah but had 2 and pots got a bit scratchy pretty quickly, although my house is dusty as anything. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3873
    Another vote for the Xotic. I've tried many. The only one I fancy trying is the Jam Wahko.
  • longilongi Frets: 95
    Ibanez Weeping Demon for me. Love the sound and it adjustability. It is large, but I love the bear trap look about it. It also very well built.
    Having just sold a few pedals I got a used Xotic Wah - always been interested in them. 

As expected it’s REALLY flexible and the range of control of the various parameters on the external trim knobs is sensible (except the bias control that seems to make things far less expressive as it goes above mid way) 

At first I was surprised how ‘hot’ it was - boosting and clipping a fair bit when engaged - in a pleasing way but made playing truly clean funky stuff nigh on impossible - whipped the bottom off and saw that the previous owner had the DIP switch  engaged for input gain and that trimmer up pretty high - reverted it to default setting and that fixed that. He’d also set it to reduce the top end range so I put that back to default and preferred that too.

It’s really good - sensibly flexible, a nice size.

But is it MASSIVELY better than the sound of the Crybaby mini (particularly on its internal switch middle setting) ? Nope. 

I don’t know if the circuit of the Crybaby mini (ie true bypass, 3 way switch that progressively shifts the effect down a bit in frequency) is available in one of their full size models (it probably is) but that would probably be the ideal good value used buy (for me) 

Red ones are better. 
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    ...just because it flies in the face of other Wahs - my 51 year old and still going KAY Wah-1 = good use of £7.50 of my then pocket money...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaS8uzvFckc
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Pros: very sweet and quite dark. No spiky top end. 

Cons: short travel takes a lot of getting used to.