Recommended overdrive/boost pedal

What's Hot
bugilemanbugileman Frets: 57
Hi I'm was wondering if you can recommend a pedal to give a substantial boost in volume and overdrive for classic Rock sounds, for lead solos etc. Around £150 max....I was looking on line and so far like the Marshall governor...

Would appreciate your thoughts..... 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17626
    tFB Trader
    Most important question is what is the amp and gain level you will be going into.

The answers will vary significantly as a result.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6688
    Boss SD-1 is a cheap, cheerful and excellent pedal. I have one that I probably won't be using. 
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 599
    Zvex Box of Rock?
  • Boss BD-2 can do all that and more, it goes into distortion territory at higher gain settings too.

However, my broken-record suggestion is a Way Huge Saucy Box - incredible sounding things with lots of volume and drive on tap if you want it. The EQ on them is very clear, and just makes your amp sounds like it’s turned up to 11 imo. I have two on my board, the normal version plus the HC one for higher gain sounds - they’re going nowhere. :love: 
  • Box of rock here too, but also depends on your rhythm sound and what environment. In a band mix with another guitarist? In which case you want to cut through the mix, Klon clone would work well.
    ‘It is no measure of good health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society’
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    merlin said:
    Boss SD-1 is a cheap, cheerful and excellent pedal. I have one that I probably won't be using. 
    An SD-1 doesn't have a “significant” volume boost though. For that you probably want a Klon style circuit such as a Wampler Tumnus or equivalent.

Another option is a clean/mid boost. I've just got a Suhr Kokoboost and it can add a significant volume boost and can push an amp on the edge into full on overdrive and the mid boost side sounds great.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9636
    merlin said:
    An SD-1 doesn't have a “significant” volume boost though.
    OD-3 or BD-2 then
  • edited February 18
    Frankly, one of those Klon copies off Wish for 25 quid would probably be the cheapest option. I have one on my board and it does the job well.
    My youtube music channel is here My youtube aviation channel is here
  • Super8Super8 Frets: 16
    Maybe consider the dual foot switch version of the DC Drive by Carl Martin? 
    The overdrive side has a toggle switch for regular/fat, plus controls for drive, eq and level. The other footswitch activates a clean boost with an independent level (volume) control… lots of natural sounding overdrive in there, and lots of extra volume when needed. Can be found cheap 2nd hand. I find it a very useful and reliable pedal… had mine for years and whenever I convince myself that I need something else, I always end up selling the new purchase and returning to the DC Drive.
  • timbuk02timbuk02 Frets: 271
    edited February 18
    For that budget I'd start with the full-size TC Spark Boost - loads volume boost and decent gain when on the full/mid setting. Its also just a super useful pedal to have whatever setup you end up with. Then if you do need more gain, add something else - too much choice really - but a Mojo Mojo with the Spark will cover a lot of ground. If you dont already own a power supply, both of these take batteries.
  • snowblindsnowblind Frets: 240
    Try the DemonFX KoT clone as a nice budget-friendly place to start.

As mentioned above it will help to know what the amp is.
    Old, overweight and badly maintained. Unlike my amps which are just old and overweight.
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5050
    monquixote said: Most important question is what is the amp and gain level you will be going into?

The answers will vary significantly as a result.
    ^^^ This! There’s little point in making suggestions until you clarify the above question.
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • TJT1979TJT1979 Frets: 188
    Agreed. What works into my dirty Marshall 18W would sound awful into a typical Fender amp. 
  • Thanks for all your suggestions. The amp is a 1980s Marshall 50 combo. Gain level is not particularly high just bluesy driven sounds. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72389
    bugileman said:
    Thanks for all your suggestions. The amp is a 1980s Marshall 50 combo. Gain level is not particularly high just bluesy driven sounds. 
    Boss SD-1 if you want to add more drive on top of a fairly overdriven amp sound - surprisingly, it will boost the apparent volume even when the pedal on its own into a clean amp doesn’t sound much louder.

Marshall Guv’nor Mk1 if you want to set the amp clean or nearly clean and use the pedal like a second amp channel. (GV-2 is better into a clean non-Marshall amp.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 783
    Keeley D&M drive is amazing! It does overdrive/distortion (Dan's OCD clone side) and low OD/boost (Mick's Klon clone side) and then you can run each side into each other and choose what order you want them in at a flick of a switch. 
  • TJT1979TJT1979 Frets: 188
    Into a dirty amp I would be looking for something more boosty, more for tone shaping and volume than adding lots more saturation. 

Tube Screamers, Klones, treble boosters. All of these will cut bass a bit to avoid muddiness, and will push mids/high mids where the guitar does the heavy lifting in a band situation. 

On my board I've currently got a clone of a Hudson Sidecar (tube screamer based), and a clone of a DAM Red Rooster (modified rangemaster). I am tempted to build a Klon to try it out, but with just the treble booster and a nasty fuzz I'd have everything covered. 

For reference I'm going into a crunchy Marshall 18W style amp. 

Caveat... what I've said is based on a live band situation where more bass=mud, and everyone is trying to stay in their lane frequency-wise. If you play at home then you have more options which will work, as the whole muddiness thing isn't an issue. The above will still sound great, but I'd also look at other options (eg. Fuzz Face, Box of Rock, OCD, etc.)

• ICBM said:
    bugileman said:
    Thanks for all your suggestions. The amp is a 1980s Marshall 50 combo. Gain level is not particularly high just bluesy driven sounds. 
    Boss SD-1 if you want to add more drive on top of a fairly overdriven amp sound - surprisingly, it will boost the apparent volume even when the pedal on its own into a clean amp doesn’t sound much louder.

Marshall Guv’nor Mk1 if you want to set the amp clean or nearly clean and use the pedal like a second amp channel. (GV-2 is better into a clean non-Marshall amp.)
    As an owner of a 50w Marshall JCM800 combo, an SD1 and a mk1 Marshall Guvnor (and a whole bunch of other dirt pedals) I will concur that this is a very good choice and for the same reasons as stated.
  • Following with interest. I find when using single coil guitars into my small 5w Marshall DSL it lacks a bit of punch for stuff like solos and cleans. 

Thinking of getting either the MXR Micro Amp or the TC Spark one mentioned above. Anyone tried those?
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2291

Unit67. 

Pete Thorn demo of it.
    It's replaced my boost, EQ and compressor pedals simplifying my setup and it sounds just fab into all my amps.
    Only thing, the little knobs are useful but are quite small, but I like compact pedals.