Show us your workspace!

What's Hot
I'm finally ready to start the prep on my garage-conversion 'workshop' and I'm looking for inspiration and ideas that I haven't yet thought of. If you care to share, please could you give a brief overview of your workspace and any key lessons learned from its usage & setup? I'm sure others will benefit too :)

Thanks in advance!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14452
    @HarrySeven may be able to assist with this.

After his last house move, the double garage had some building work done to it. The story I was told was that half the garage would become a workshop. I reckon that H7 and family live in the garage. The house is occupied by guitars. ;)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27601
    Lots of drawers and cupboards into which "stuff" can be put when not in use, so it doesn't get covered in dust etc.  Twice as many drawers and cupboards than you think you'll need.

I ended up purpose building a bench for my drill press so that I could get full access to it. but the stands-on-lockable-castors are really useful for moving the bigger tools (drill press, bandsaw, etc) out of the way when not in use.  That way you can get more tools into the space!

And then more space than you'll even think you'll need.  When I had my first workshop (shed), I thought it was bigger than I'd ever need, but soon over-filled it and spent more time moving stuff out of the way to get access to something else than I did actually using the something else.

So when we moved here, I spec'd a larger space (it's 5m x 3m/4m I think).  It took longer to over-fill that one, but it is now over-full - though probably with a lot of stuff that I've not used for a long time, and won't use for even longer ...
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27601
    This sort of thing is actually quite good - sturdier than you'd expect, and you could secure it to the garage walls - and isn't silly expensive

I've got something similar, with some old Ikea storage units on some of the shelves (to keep the dust out).

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28369
    I'd say set the position of the machines that won't move, and plan the dust extraction. That has to go in before anything else, or it'll be an absolute nightmare.

I did a thread on mine - see here:

https://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/223661/my-new-ish-workshop
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Sporky said:
    I'd say set the position of the machines that won't move, and plan the dust extraction. That has to go in before anything else, or it'll be an absolute nightmare.

I did a thread on mine - see here:

https://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/223661/my-new-ish-workshop

I would add to that power output locations, lighting positions and insulation if you plan to work all year round.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28369
    edited February 20
    Yes - I'd thought of them as the structure, but you're right that they're critically important. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."