Is there an amp....

What's Hot
LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1087
That has a usb into a computer with the facility for other inputs like an xlr and 1/4" connections?

Basically one of my learners is off to uni in Italy in September, and is planning to carry on with lessons online. He would provisionally be staying in dorms or halls so bringing a combo amp wouldn't really be possible so he has to use some form of headphone amp.

I'm not expecting him to get a Kemper Profiler as this has all the inputs with the USB in feature, but is there something else out there not so expensive that he could get? I'm trying to keep the setup as simple as I can with just 1-2 pieces of hardware, I mean, he could get an audio interface and get an amp with a line out function, and use the other input for a speaking mic. We'd also want some form of facility to play backing music off Spotify/YouTube as well as he's learning songs.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• That's a perfect time to use a software plugin and audio interface. No better tool for that application.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • That's a perfect time to use a software plugin and audio interface. No better tool for that application.
    And run the plugin via a DAW? A bit fiddly as I don't think he's too savvy but would save him getting physical amp that he would either have to sell or bring back to the UK when he's finished studying. Think he's out there for a few years and planning to stay there for a year or two after though.
  • No most plugins install a standalone app that you can just open up and crack on
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • What's a good basic simple to use plugin?

What about his speaking mic? and playing backing music?
  • Speaking mic can be a headset direct into the laptop and can usually run alongside the audio interface as well. Can also connect a headset or mic to the audio interface. Pretty much any combination works.

The actual setup will be different depending on Mac or Windows host machine.

I'm hoping we can get some input from tFB on the plugins because mine are arguably the complicated/total overkill ones!
  • Ah yes, a headset would work if it can be used at the same time as the interface. Easier to transport if he comes back during the summer holidays etc.

I think it'll be a Windows machine most likely. He is a student after all lol.

Yes nothing overly fancy, a nice clean sound and a rocky overdrive tone. That's about it.
  • To add to this - if he has a macbook you could achieve all of this with the onboard audio and a single gaming headset/mic because the audio setup is so low latency it is a nice experience!
  • I mean he's not exactly poor but I do understand to keep the setup minimal and not overly expensive.
  • Ah yes, a headset would work if it can be used at the same time as the interface. Easier to transport if he comes back during the summer holidays etc.

I think it'll be a Windows machine most likely. He is a student after all lol.

Yes nothing overly fancy, a nice clean sound and a rocky overdrive tone. That's about it.

OK. In that setup the headset becomes both input and output device for the voice chat app - whatsapp, skype, teams etc.

Also, if it is a wired headset with the separate mic and headphone jacks you can split and connect the mic to the laptop mic input and use a 3.5mm to 1/4" adaptor to connect the headphone part to the audio interface. At that point the headset mic is the input for the voice chat and the audio interface becomes the output device for the voice chat and the plugin and the system.

It is all doable but if he is on his own some familiarity will help make sure he can switch between settings and keep things working how he wants when one or the other is not connected.
  • I use a platform run in Google Chrome browser. So it'll take any audio feed into the PC/Laptop.

Yeah once we know what we need to get and how it is wired up I will test this in the same room as him on our computers just to check it all works and he knows what to do if he can't hear anything etc.
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6158
    The NUX Mighty Plug Pro is designed for this purpose, with an extra mic channel - i.e. the one on a typical 3.5mm headset cable - for streaming/lessons.

(NOTE: a few people have had trouble with the TRRS hook up.)

If you want to give it a try, I can send you mine to see if it'd work for him?
  • goldtop said:
    The NUX Mighty Plug Pro is designed for this purpose, with an extra mic channel - i.e. the one on a typical 3.5mm headset cable - for streaming/lessons.

(NOTE: a few people have had trouble with the TRRS hook up.)

If you want to give it a try, I can send you mine to see if it'd work for him?
    What does it run in? Do we need to install an amp on the OS?

As mentioned above we will test it whilst he's still in the UK to make sure he knows what to do.
    The NUX MPP plugs directly into the guitar, takes a headset+mic and is a full modeller that you can listen to on regular headsets.

Attaching it to a phone via USB and that turns it into an audio interface, too. With 2x2 streams - the guitar signal and the mic signal as inputs to DAW/etc and the stereo out (to the headphone) mixes in the amp modelled tone, plus whatever USB audio source you send from the phone.

It's also Bluetooth for drum beats/metronome and playing along to backing tracks.

It's a remarkable thing for its size.
  • Oh so like a portable plug in headphone amp thing. Ah right I see. Could be worth looking at. Bluetooth would cause latency though I'd presume.
    Oh so like a portable plug in headphone amp thing. Ah right I see. Could be worth looking at. Bluetooth would cause latency though I'd presume.
    Bluetooth is only used when you are NOT using the MPP as your audio interface. The idea is that if you are just practising to backing or drum tracks, those can stream over BT from your phone to the MPP and your headphones. Latency does not matter, no wires needed.

But when you connect via USB cable (iPad, iPhone or Mac - all OK as it's class compliant) you get low-latency USB audio streams in both directions.
    You/he may be able to do the exact same with the NUX Mighty Amp: https://www.nuxaudio.com/mightylitebtmkii.html

(Which is the same software and hardware in a box with a speaker)
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3400
    edited February 20
    Boss katana and blackstar ht series both have this. Think most modelling amps would offer similar. He only really needs an amp if he plans to play with others or gig though

Also look at modellers. Hx stomp and headphones would be a great solution. And as others have said, plugins or a nux mighty plug probably best of all for his use case.
  • HX Stomp would get my vote for that.
  • goldtop said:
    Oh so like a portable plug in headphone amp thing. Ah right I see. Could be worth looking at. Bluetooth would cause latency though I'd presume.
    Bluetooth is only used when you are NOT using the MPP as your audio interface. The idea is that if you are just practising to backing or drum tracks, those can stream over BT from your phone to the MPP and your headphones. Latency does not matter, no wires needed.

But when you connect via USB cable (iPad, iPhone or Mac - all OK as it's class compliant) you get low-latency USB audio streams in both directions.
    Yeah so its when he has to play his guitar along to a track in his room because if I played music on my side there would be latency.
  • NelsonP said:
    Boss katana and blackstar ht series both have this. Think most modelling amps would offer similar. He only really needs an amp if he plans to play with others or gig though

Also look at modellers. Hx stomp and headphones would be a great solution. And as others have said, plugins or a nux mighty plug probably best of all for his use case.
    He shares a Marshall 1w combo amp with his brother who I also teach (he's 2 years younger than him) and that will stay in the UK. I'm not sure if he'd want to gig yet, so yeah the NUX might be the best option right now.