Swan Lighter Fluid - Safe for rosewood use?

What's Hot
Just wondering if anyone knows if this is naphta. I have a bit and I'd like to use it to clean a rosewood fretboard.

Thanks.

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/274057144

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• According to the Safety Information it contains Solvent Naphtha (Petroleum) Light Aliph so I'd say it's fine for cleaning fretboards.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7036
    tFB Trader
    It will probably leave the wood looking and feeling a bit dry so you might want to treat it with some oil and/or wax to condition it afterwards.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7878
    Good and safe for cleaning nitro too.  I’ve cleaned whole guitars with the stuff. 
  • jasonbone75jasonbone75 Frets: 636
    edited February 22
    I use it quite often but as @SteveRobinson points out make sure you treat it afterwards. It cleans very well but evaporates extremely fast so do 6 - 8 frets at a time to manage things easier.
  • NCoNCo Frets: 163
    Thanks.

Will use it for cleaning and then try the Montypresso stuff on a cheap guitar I have. Is this sufficient?
  • You want an oil or wax really - that stuff is a stain. It might have a wax carrier or something but it isn't so much for conditioning the wood. I use old school lemon oil mainly because I still have some from years ago. There will be a few more modern suggestions coming hopefully...
    Interesting, I thought it was actual wax with a bit of stain, not the other way around.

I have some lemon oil I can apply after removing the wax.
  • NCo said:
    Interesting, I thought it was actual wax with a bit of stain, not the other way around.

I have some lemon oil I can apply after removing the wax.

Could be I've only seen the website briefly and never used it. See how it comes up after the wax and if it is nice and lustrous and not patchy you are probably good to go without an oil.
    Used the naphta and the board became super light in colour. Only used a bit, is this normal?

What's interesting is the line pattern:

Applied the Montypresso, this will sit until Sunday:

• The line pattern is wear from finger pressure. That wood has been exposed for less time than the unworn parts so is lighter. Perfectly normal to lighten overall as the dirt comes off and some of the natural oils are pulled out. After conditioning/oiling the colour is restored.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    Normal

I use the music nomad oil on the board after, nicer than lemon oil.
    tFB Trader
    NCo said:

Do you think you put enough on?
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6871
    NCo said:

There’s a chance the inlays aren’t going to go brown, I’d put a bit more on ;)
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PennPenn Frets: 623
    mrkb said:
    NCo said:

There’s a chance the inlays aren’t going to go brown, I’d put a bit more on ;)
    I’ve put it on like that. Better more than enough than too little. 2 days of sitting like that works pretty well. 
    edited February 22
    NCo said:

Appreciate the sarcasm, but I went a) according to the instructions and b)according to the experience of those who used the product.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9637
    edited February 22
    I recently did a bass with Montypresso and I couldn’t see how leaving it like that for long is the best way. I suspect it might be diminishing returns - it probably doesn’t change much after the first couple of hours. Which is why I put about 4 applications over about 36-48 hours - my theory is the buffing off between applications means more stain gets rubbed into the grain each time. Anyway, I was quite pleased with the results and hope it works equally well with the OP’s Les Paul.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11595
    tFB Trader
    Just a heads up - you can get cans of lighter fluid at pound-stores too. ( we use a lot of it). to be fair we just buy 5 litre bottles of naptha online now

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• randellarandella Frets: 4176
    Just a heads up - you can get cans of lighter fluid at pound-stores too. ( we use a lot of it). to be fair we just buy 5 litre bottles of naptha online now
    Yep - I did get a funny look from the guy once when I bought a few cans. Didn't improve matters by telling him it was for cleaning a dirty fingerboard :lol:

3M used to make some stuff called Clean Art, my dad used it in his drawing work. That did a good job (and filled your Zippo too) but it was bloody expensive and - I suspect - was basically slightly more refined Naptha anyway.
    tFB Trader
    Have you scraped off the wax yet? How was the transformation?
    Hey, I did, I found the result very underwhelming. I honestly could not see a difference.

Because of this, I couldn't be bothered to go for 2-3 more applications.

I have the can if you want, I'll happily post it.