a question - Quilter OD 202 or Milkman 100?

What's Hot
DavidReesDavidRees Frets: 335
edited February 24 in Amps
seeking the wisdom of the Forum ...
Quilter OD 202 or Milkman 100?[they are about the same size]
pros and cons?
driving a Jensen 15" Neo in a big Zilla cab.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DavidReesDavidRees Frets: 335
    eighty two views but no replies :( 
    have I offended everyone in some way?
  • Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 1134
    I think the title ‘a question..’ will get plenty of views but maybe not as many people have tried both those amps 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • InactiveXInactiveX Frets: 283
    edited February 24
    Hmmmm, I disagree. I think the thread title might actually put people off reading (it's a little lazy, right? And the main text is, dare I say it, rather sparse).

I don't know the answer, I'm afraid.
    Don’t follow influencers
    Watch the parking meters
  • Sorry, was interested in the answers but I'm not qualified to give one myself.
    "I've got the moobs like Jabba".
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2583
    tFB Trader
    Neither, but if I was forced at gunpoint probably the milkman of the two as it looks to be easier to repair.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72369
    Not a clue, I've never tried either of them. Putting the amp names in the thread title would produce a more useful answers to views ratio... although not necessarily more answers.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16295
    Probably not the commonest amps so the chances of finding someone with direct experience of both probably limited, the reviews and YouTube demos you can find for yourself. I bet someone on TGP would give you an answer but that's wading through a lot of bullshit no doubt. There are some Quilter owners on here and they always seem very positive about them FWIW 
    I'm not keen on the idea of pedal amps in general, or if it was going to be gigged anyway. I know we put quite expensive pedalboards down on the floor but generally if that gets kicked, covered in beer at least we can finish the gig. Although I appreciate it's probably more convenient to access the amp's features on the floor than if it's behind the drummer. If it's for home/studio use why do you need it on the floor. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9542
    David, the Milkman 100 is superb. I've owned one twice, and would def have another. 
  • I've had a Milkman Amp 100 for a couple years now and it continues to be great. No experience of the Quilter to be able to compare though, I'm afraid.
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1206
    I can  comment on the Amp 100 and a 101 Reverb Mini (not the OD200). Both of them can be good clean platforms. The Quilter is probably cleaner and clearer, plus it has a middle knob. The Amp 100 only has bass and treble although the boost adds midrange. Due to its 12AX7, the break up sounds unrefined to me in a single preamp valve way, I prefer the reverb on the Milkman.
  • Babones said:
    I can  comment on the Amp 100 and a 101 Reverb Mini (not the OD200). Both of them can be good clean platforms. The Quilter is probably cleaner and clearer, plus it has a middle knob. The Amp 100 only has bass and treble although the boost adds midrange. Due to its 12AX7, the break up sounds unrefined to me in a single preamp valve way, I prefer the reverb on the Milkman.
    Fair analysis. It works well for me scooping the mids with the bass and treble knobs in the region of 3 o'clock and then using pedals for break up and the boost to add volume and mids for solos.
  • TJT1979TJT1979 Frets: 188
    I have a Quilter 101 Reverb... never tried any other models.

It seems well built, and is small and lightweight. It's not really a sound I use, but to be honest I bought it as an emergency backup. If a valve dies or my main amp explodes, I can take it out of my gig backpack, plug it in and be back up and running within 2 mins in a gig.

Sound wise I use crunchy British sounds, so other than a backup I'd never use it. I find it quite boomy; even with the bass control at zero it's a bit muddy (I guess the mud frequencies are probably low mids and therefore above the range of the bass control).

The OD200 might be different, I don't know. If the sound is to your liking then I reckon a Quilter would be a good buy.
  • dcgdcg Frets: 230
    I haven't played the Quilter, but...
    IMHO, the Milkman 100 is a treasure, and sounds natural, relaxed, and authentic despite its hybrid nature; in my non-UK rig, I run this amp through a Two Rock 2x12" and it sounds wonderful at that edge of breakup point where I like to live. The reverb is simply beautiful, and is extremely controllable.  This is - of course - not a high gain amp, but for me it's one of my favourites. And it's absurdly portable.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DavidReesDavidRees Frets: 335
    Thank you all for your contributions In a recent 'rig rundown' AJGhent confessed  to playing through both an OD202 [into a Copperback] and a Milkman 100 [into a 15" neo] :) ...
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    No experience of the Milkman but been gigging a 200 W Quilter into a 2*12 with neo cream since July 2023 and no issues at all.  The Quilter replaced my Orange CR120 -- mainly for pragmatic, easier to lunk about reasons rather than sound but genuinely can't fault the Quilter.