BD-2/w

What's Hot
rlwrlw Frets: 4699
Is this pedal the Tele of the pedal world?

I have bought and sold four so far, and just bought another.  It's a great, do-it-all pedal that is universally loved but does polarise opinion.   Just like Teles.   I want to love this one but we will see.
Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Agreed! I stuck with the WH Saucy Box HC+ over it though as they’re tonally v.similar and it fitted on my board a little better, but the BD-2 (Waza or otherwise) really is a brilliantly versatile circuit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17626
    tFB Trader
    I had one ages ago and hated it.

Got another a few years later and totally love it.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    I have a BD-2 but not used it much. Nevertheless I am 2W curious
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1342
    edited February 23
    If it's universally loved - how can it polarise opinion? 

Anyway had one - liked it at up to 9 0 clock gain setting for a slight crunch breakup on a clean amp... I've heard others get that fusion type smooth sound out of it  - but I sold it after the wife heard me playing thru it upstairs and screamed at me to stop saying it was awful (though that could have been my playing). 

Rig dependent I guess as always - what guitar and amp are you using with it.?
    I've heard a couple of people make them sound ace.
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1679
    The Blues Driver setting is my favourite by far on the OD-200

It makes me wonder whether all I need is a BD, but the OD-200 has TMB tone controls which I fiddle with a lot, so I might miss that on the individual pedal.
  • I found it a bit raspy (through clean Princeton) so moved it on quite quickly. I thought the OD3 sounded far better.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ElectricXIIElectricXII Frets: 1133
    I found it a bit raspy (through clean Princeton) so moved it on quite quickly. I thought the OD3 sounded far better.
    I hated my BD-2 through a Fender amp. I don't have any Fender amps any more (5F2a clone doesn't count), but I doubt I'll rush to buy another BD-2. 

If I don't like a pedal first time, that's it. I can't imagine buying, then selling, then buying, then selling, then buying, then selling. the same model. That's more U-turns than a Conservative government.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17626
    tFB Trader
    I found it a bit raspy (through clean Princeton) so moved it on quite quickly. I thought the OD3 sounded far better.

I don't love it through a Fender amp. It actually contains a fixed Fender tone stack in the circuitry so I wonder if it is just "too much Fender" when used like that. 

I think the trick is to keep the gain low the tone not excessive and plenty of volume and you get a really lovely boost that's not excessively shouty in the mid range like a lot of overdrives. I do prefer it into a Marshall though.
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4699
    It's going into a TMDR again.  I feel that I understand these a bit more now, having experimented with several others, and I hope that we will fall in love forever.
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3557
    As far as blues drivers go, i have to say that the (rather spendy) new Keeley Andy Timmons one sounds much nicer. It sounds like they've dealt with the raspy top end. 
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3395
    I bought a bd2w recently, brand new, for the same price as a regular bd2. Its great, the custom circuit sounds ace.
  • GulliverGulliver Frets: 848
    I'm potentially going to hi-jack this thread to ask for BD-2 alternatives.  

I'm not a huge fan of the Boss's buffer - and this would be going on my non-switcher pedalboard. That said - the actual BD-2 circuit was great.    The Keeley Muse Driver is excellent - and that's my backup if I don't find a suggestion for a used alternative that isn't ruinously expensive...
  • Gulliver said:
    I'm potentially going to hi-jack this thread to ask for BD-2 alternatives.  

I'm not a huge fan of the Boss's buffer - and this would be going on my non-switcher pedalboard. That said - the actual BD-2 circuit was great.    The Keeley Muse Driver is excellent - and that's my backup if I don't find a suggestion for a used alternative that isn't ruinously expensive...
    They improved the buffer in the Waza pedals, have you tried the BD2W?
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • jpttaylorjpttaylor Frets: 465
    On the cheaper end of the scale, the TC Electronic Cinders is an exact clone of the BD-2 and has true bypass. Think it costs about £40 new, possibly cheaper if second-hand.
  • I've been GAS-ing for a Nobles ODR-1 from some demos and see a similar status being bestowed upon it ; I wonder how they compare 
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4699
    edited February 26
    I've got both a Mooer Blues Mood and Blues Crab which will be redundant now if anyone wants a BD-2 alternative cheaply.
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3395
    Shipwreck said:
    I've been GAS-ing for a Nobles ODR-1 from some demos and see a similar status being bestowed upon it ; I wonder how they compare 
    Very different. The nobels has a lot more bass. The bd2 doesn't cut bass in the way that a tubescreamer or sd1 does, but the nobels seems to add it.
  • GulliverGulliver Frets: 848
    NelsonP said:
    Shipwreck said:
    I've been GAS-ing for a Nobles ODR-1 from some demos and see a similar status being bestowed upon it ; I wonder how they compare 
    Very different. The nobels has a lot more bass. The bd2 doesn't cut bass in the way that a tubescreamer or sd1 does, but the nobels seems to add it.
    The new ODR-1s have a Bass cut switch which alleviates a lot of that. now admittedly they put the switch in a stupid place, but it's technically there...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72390
    A friend of mine had one. He carefully removed the L and the E from the logo, which much improved it.

:)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24319
    ICBM said:
    A friend of mine had one. He carefully removed the L and the E from the logo, which much improved it.

:)
    Bues Drivr?

;) 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom